Students
Options

anyone starting med school this fall?

im starting med school in the fall for neurosurgery and i can honestly say that its going to be extremely stressful !!

juggling work, school, and wedding planning...total exhaustion. =(

i just hope my other half has an understanding for my mood swings. ;)

Re: anyone starting med school this fall?

• Options
    Hi!  I'm graduating from med school in 20 days (but who's counting?) and I'm going into OB/GYN.  It's tough but I actually really liked it.  My FI is also a medical student (about to be a fourth year), which worked out well for us - he totally "got" what I was going through.  Anyway, it's all doable, just do your best to manage your time well. Good luck!! :)
  • Options
    Melanie, CONGRATS!!!

thanks for the luck, im definitely going to need it!
  • Options
    I am a current first year student...like Melanie already said, it's completely doable you just have to find the balance.  When are you getting married?  My FI didn't move with me but visits every other weekend, so I just schedule everything so I am stress free when he is here...well as stress free as I can be!  My classmates that live with their significant other have a set date night so every say Thursday night they go out to dinner or whatever.  During orientation (which seems like yesterday by the way) our Dean compared med school to running in a marathon, which I thought was a great analogy.  I think you have to keep this mentality all along or you will burn out.  And most importantly...take care of yourself!!!! Yes, it's easier to stop at Wendy's or McD's on the way home than to cook a nutritious meal...however staying healthy is so important.  Also, do not underestimate the awesome-ness of note cards!!! They are so study-anywhere-friendly; which means depending on what your job is you can easily multitask!!  

As far as the wedding planning part - use your support! Ask FI, your bridal party, Mom and any other sources you have for help!

Good luck and have FUN!
  • Options
    Krisdoug, thanks for the moral support.
    If you girls can do it, im sure i can.

its just hard enough trying to plan a wedding!
    the wedding is set on July 9th.2011.
    i have a year to go but its going to come by so quickly and i have to start stepping up to the plate.

whens your date?
  • Options
    Haha ya, I hear you! :) We are also planning a July 2011 wedding...exact date is unknown at the moment but I'm thinking mid-July that way it's after I take boards and before I start rotations!  I'll be doing A LOT of planning this summer...although we pretty much know what we want so it's just a matter of laying it all out.  For instance we know where we want the ceremony and reception, it's just a matter of booking; I've done research on photographers we just need to meet with the one we think we want and book if this one works out. 
  • Options
    Same here!
    we know where the ceremony and receptions going to be at but its the matter of booking and what not. are you having a wedding planner help you out?
  • Options
    I am not - I am from a small town which is where we are doing the wedding.  So unfortunately there are no planners in the area.  Although both the bridal shop where I plan to buy my dress and the florist we plan on using are very experienced and great resources.  Also the woman we have been dealing with at our reception site is also very experienced and helpful. I plan to utilize my family and FI's family...I plan on having one of his Aunt's help out with the reception, she did FI's sisters and it was probably the best wedding I've been to!

How about yourself?  Are you using a wedding planner?
  • Options
    No, I'm not using a planner. I dont think I need one.. or at least for now.. haha
    I'm sure I can do it on my own. Well, not on my own but with the help of friends and family and my future In-laws and the FI of course. so far, things are looking good for the wedding here in the states. where is your wedding going to be at if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    I'm having it back home in Northern Maine.  We're planning on having the reception at a local hotel; most of our families will be traveling so it will be convenient and easy!  I would have loved to do an outdoor wedding but that would have added so much unnecessary stress...risking rain, mosquitoes, etc.etc. 
  • Options
    I am currently a first year and getting married in June (one week after exams..oy). It is definitely doable to study and plan. My FI has been wonderful. He does most of the grocery shopping and cooking while I do the cleaning, which leaves me a lot of time to study.

The summer before starting med school, we booked the venue, hired a wedding planner, started working on the guest list, and bought my dress. I go to school out of state from where the wedding will be, so when I came back home for winter and spring breaks, I got the invitations done, decided on decorations, etc.

The only thing that increased my stress level greatly was my parents and their ideas on what they want vs. what I want. For example, they have changed the caterer 3 times already. If your parents are paying, hopefully they won't be like this, though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're stressed. I sat my FI down and explained that first year would be extremely stressful (though apparently second year is worse?) and he understood how busy I would be, especially around exam time. This is going to sound silly, but we watched the NOVA documentary "Doctors' Diaries" together, and I think he understood more how rough med school can be. It might help to come up with a schedule together to split chores, etc. Offer to do more when you don't have finals and ask if he can help out more when you do have a test. I don't know...I like to plan things out in advance, whereas my FI is a little more disorganized, so it helps to come to an agreement beforehand. Good luck on your finals!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    THANKS dearest! im going to need it baaadd! haha I actually sat him down not too long ago and told him that he's going to have to step up to the plate this week because im barely going to be doing anything that involves the wedding and house due to my finals. and i told them that this week, he's going to be in charge of wedding planning and chores around the house. surprisingly, he agreed and apologized for putting everything on me.
  • Options
    I am going to be a 4th year in 6 weeks (not counting or anything) and we're getting married in June 2011 - 2 weeks after graduation... and I can't say I've been a giant help - my FI is amazing, I told him that if he wanted the big white wedding, he was going ot have to plan it, so he is...

He gives me small choices to make, and that might be how you have to frame it with your FI - do you like a, b, c, d or none of the above...

And the planner has been a god send because during clinicals, I can't exactly meet with the florist.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anyone-starting-med-school-this-fall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:cb3a02d4-d7d6-4c4b-9466-31d9e62a8a9ePost:be5ee7f9-63bc-41af-8f72-a4994aa2c6ec">Re: anyone starting med school this fall?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going to be a 4th year in 6 weeks (not counting or anything) and we're getting married in June 2011 - 2 weeks after graduation... and I can't say I've been a giant help - my FI is amazing, I told him that if he wanted the big white wedding, he was going ot have to plan it, so he is... He gives me small choices to make, and that might be how you have to frame it with your FI - do you like a, b, c, d or none of the above... And the planner has been a god send because during clinicals, I can't exactly meet with the florist.
    Posted by SteveandKris[/QUOTE]

We're not working with a planner.. FI and I decided not to. But Im really happy that he's finally contributing SOMETHING. not only are we planning this wedding, but we have to plan our Sri Lankan wedding as well. =( DOUBLE THE DUTY.
  • Options
    I'm the reverse, im starting med school a week after my wedding!!

:)

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards