January 2012 Weddings

Work problems= Master's Thesis problems

I am in the mist of serious drama and I am beyond mad right now. For my master's thesis I am trying to prove that students will write more and be more creative when technology is involved. Back in December I asked the language arts teacher if I can get work samples from her. We share the same students so I was planning on comparing the work they do in her class vs the work they do in my class. She was cooperating fine with me a few weeks ago. She gave me some of their journals. Two weeks ago I asked for more. She said no problem. Yesterday, I sent her a friendly reminder about it. She wrote back to me that the vice principal will be in to discuss this with me. WTF? 

So, the VP came into my room later on and I explained my thesis to her and what I need from my colleague. She seemed confused like she had never completed a thesis before. (I work in a Catholic school so maybe she never did.) She suggested that I do pen and paper writing with the students in my class. UM hello, I am a computer teacher...why would I do that? I told her that it is too late for that. That I am in the data anaysis section of my paper and I need the samples now. She said she may be able to give me a few but she would have to talk to the other teacher and get back to me. 

At the end of the day as I was leaving the VP approached me and told me that this particular colleague told her that I have been talking bad about her behind her back (what are we in high school?!). This is completly false and I told my VP that. She said she won't give me the sample work because he is hurt by what I said and that I need to talk to this colleague tomorrow. 

So today I went into her room and we talked. She was a complete bitch to me. She said the a student told her back in October that I said I hated her. This is a lie. I never said that and I told her this. She didn't believe me. She also said that a teacher told her last night that I was talking bad about her and this is why she won't give me samples of the student work. I explained to her that this is the only way that I will finish my master's degree and that I can't believe she is coming in the way of me writing my thesis. She said, "oh well." I told her that the only negative thing that I said was that I was surprised that I did not get an interview for her position because I have three years experience teaching middle school language arts, and that yes, I am jealous and bitter that she got the position. I told her I was sorry, but in no way did I ever say that I hated her or anything else negative about her as a person. (which is true!)

I went down to the principal, I explained everything to her. I was teary eyed while I was talking. I explained that I really need these work samples in order to write my thesis. I also explained that I never said anything bad about this person and that I do not want it to affect my job. I told her I love it here at this school and I want to return next year. I do not want this to affect me in a negative way. My principal said she will try to get me some samples and we will talk more later. 

I'm sorry this is so long. I just really needed to vent. I hope you can give me some advice because I am so upset and can't believe this bullshit is happening to me. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Work problems= Master's Thesis problems

• Why the hell is this person taking a student's comment so seriously?  And if she heard this comment in October, why even give you the first set of samples?  Did she really need the second comment from the teacher to throw her over the edge? 

Something else is going on here.  This does not make sense.  While she cannot be forced to give you the samples as she is technically doing you a favor so that you may complete your thesis, her reasoning is wonky.

I'm sorry you are going through this but is there anyway you can find another source for your data (i.e., another school, database information provided by your college, national data, etc.)?  I know it would technically mean starting over, but it seems pulling from the same pot you work in may not be an option.

I had trouble accumulating data for my thesis because I had to rely on the assumed kindness of others.  Mistake.  I used already existing data sources for my dissertation and it was much less of a headache.

"You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Sports Bear: I too beleive that something else is going on here. I just don't know what. This hit me out of left field. She says that she let the Oct. news go but when she heard it again last week that was when she decided again that she wouldn't help me. I think she is being very childish. I also do not think that she should take the word of a middle school student over mine! 

My thesis is due in 4 weeks. I was planning on working on it this weekend. I have the data from the first journals that I recieved from her but it's not nearly enough. I did give my students a "written" journal assignment today. I can use that as well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • People like that should be drug out into the street and shot.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_work-problems-masters-thesis-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:f3d1a0a4-9831-40d7-b356-69e1bd27311fPost:6005c72a-ae02-4b19-b370-1705a5646d44">Re: Work problems= Master's Thesis problems</a>:
    [QUOTE]People like that should be drug out into the street and shot.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mark! I feel the same way!
  • One of my friends is in a similar situation. She is a high school math teacher, and just about everyone in the buliding takes the kids word over hers. I don't understand why some teachers can't act like adults. I loved my first placement because most of the teachers I was in concact with did act like adults. I am not so sure that this next one is going to be the same. I hope that you get to the bottom of what is going on, becaues like you said, there seems to be more to it than that. Maybe there is someone out there wno would like your job, so is making up stuff you said. Childish, yes but probbably the case.
  • Alyssa, I am sorry your friend is going though a similar thing. It's terrible when a grown adult takes the word over a child than another adult. GROW-UP! Teachers really can act petty and it's sad. Our main goal should be teaching the kids, not making trouble for the other teachers around them!

I agree that this colleague of mine is acting very childish. She is even being mean! Also, she is not acting very professional at all. She should have approached me about all this back in October whenshe heard the first thing from the student. Bottom line, she should still give me the work regardless of how she feels about me!
  • Kids will make up anything to get what they want?  Doesn't she realize this?

I am sorry you have to deal with this. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_work-problems-masters-thesis-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:f3d1a0a4-9831-40d7-b356-69e1bd27311fPost:398c3c3b-360f-47c6-bc47-7a2b7509dea8">Re: Work problems= Master's Thesis problems</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kids will make up anything to get what they want?  Doesn't she realize this? I am sorry you have to deal with this. 
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Thank you! And yes, you are right.

And supposedly a teacher made something up too!
  • I will make up some writing samples, heck, we'll all do it (sorry guys for volunteering you!) and then send it to them. Then you will have the data you need, and they'll never know!!!!!!!!!

They'll be like where did these come from?  You could be like, what? I gotz people all around the country that loves me and bails me out when I need it, YO"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_work-problems-masters-thesis-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:f3d1a0a4-9831-40d7-b356-69e1bd27311fPost:bbdd038f-5294-4051-9ab4-fb48faff9d1e">Re: Work problems= Master's Thesis problems</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will make up some writing samples, heck, we'll all do it (sorry guys for volunteering you!) and then send it to them. Then you will have the data you need, and they'll never know!!!!!!!!! They'll be like where did these come from?  You could be like, what? I gotz people all around the country that loves me and bails me out when I need it, YO"

Awh, thanks Jen! I wish that would work.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_work-problems-masters-thesis-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:f3d1a0a4-9831-40d7-b356-69e1bd27311fPost:bbdd038f-5294-4051-9ab4-fb48faff9d1e">Re: Work problems= Master's Thesis problems</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will make up some writing samples, heck, we'll all do it (sorry guys for volunteering you!) and then send it to them. Then you will have the data you need, and they'll never know!!!!!!!!! They'll be like where did these come from?  You could be like, what? I gotz people all around the country that loves me and bails me out when I need it, YO"

Speaking as an administrator in education - I BEG YOU - PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.  I am very disappointed this was even mentioned.

What if major decisions concerning education and students were made on this "research"?  You can have a major negative impact on children's lives if you do this.  And imagine what this would do to your reputation if you were found out.  The LEAST they would do is revoke your degree and kick you out of school. You would not be able to get a job in education.

The personal consequences are not worth it and it would damage the profession.

EDIT - Sorry to be all Debbie Downer, but I could not take this lightly.  It makes me very sad.
    "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Judging by the way Jen wrote her post and Tara's response I don't think anyone was serious.
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I'm sure Jen was just kidding and no I'd never do this!
  • I was completely kidding. I would never make up research cause that doesn't really ever benefit anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards