DC

DC Churches that do not require annullments

Are there any Catholic churches in DC that would marry a divorced non-parishioner without requiring the process of an annulment? I'm finding that many Catholic churches do not allow a divorced man/woman to be married in the church unless the previous marriage was annulled.

Re: DC Churches that do not require annullments

• katesharonkatesharon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is actually the policy of the Catholic church itself, so I think you will have a hard time finding a Catholic church that will marry you. At a minimum, I know it is the policy of the Arlington Diocese, but you may want to check with the Archdiocese of Washington. 
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure that's the policy of the Archdiocese of Washington.  However, you're bringing up a couple of things that have nothing to do with one another.  First, being divorced may or may not require an annulment in the Catholic Church -- it all depends upon the facts and circumstances of the first wedding.  Second, being a non-parishioner is usually a non-starter in most Churches in the Archdiocese.  If getting married in the Church is important, then joining a parish should be important as well.

Perhaps you should take these issues one at a time, then ask the pastor of the parish in which you'd like to marry for guidance.  Good luck!
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll add, I found DC area churches to be extremely conservative...I'd join a parish you like and ask, like someone suggested.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_dc-churches-not-require-annullments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:af8d4aac-4867-4ceb-b4da-96324da429e7Post:d3615ac4-bdb4-4a29-b6a7-ecfaef6afaaa">Re: DC Churches that do not require annullments</a>:
    [QUOTE]United Methodist Churches often marry Catholics who cannot be married in the Catholic church.  The service is traditional, but without a mass.  Later, you can have a convalidation privately, after the annulment comes through.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Bad idea.  The OP asked for Catholic churches, not a Protestant church.  The Protestant marriage would not be recognized by the Catholic church.

OP:  You cannot get married in ANY Catholic church without an annulment of your prior marriage.  To get married in a Protestant church and have a convalidation later in the Catholic church is forbidden and you would not be allowed to take communion.
  • edited December 2011
    I do not know your background, but this is mine.

I am a baptized Lutheran (now converted Catholic) that was previously married to a baptized Catholic and we did NOT get married in the Catholic Church the first time around or even get permission to get it recognized elsewhere.

We got a divorce, I found out I qualified on grounds of lack of canonical form due to 2 very important details, one person of the now divorced party is a Catholic AND we didn't get married OR get permission to get married elsewhere. My lack of form annulment took 1 week to be accepted, but I didn’t get the paperwork until 2 months later.
     If none of the above applies to you, gotta file for an annulment. This link really really helped clarify my situation as I had been hoping to find the quickest way out.  Below is a link that helped make the picture clearer. 

Type of Annulment?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards