Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Family Style Dinner??

Has anybody done a Family Style Dinner? This seems like a good option other than the buffet and the sit down dinner, but my fiancee and I are wondering about how it comes off - too informal? Does it really help to make conversation at tables? What are people's experiences with this?

Re: Family Style Dinner??

• Options
    Our rehearsal dinner was family style.  I was really happy with how it came out.  I personally find it nicer than a buffet, but much more casual than a plated dinner.  

I'm not sure I would do it for a formal group or a group where most people aren't going to know everyone at their tables.
  • Options
    We've attended them and really like the idea. Personally I hate buffets but I realize a lot of people can't afford plated dinners so family style is anice compromise.
  • Options
    I attended a wedding once that was family style and it was fantastic!  It was not a casual wedding by any means either.  They did really nice Italian food and everyone thought it was great!  Added bonus: she did not need centerpieces since that is where the food went, saved a lot of $
  • Options
    I went a wedding over the summer that was family style.  I thought it was very nice!
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I haven't attended a wedding with food served family style, but I have attended a couple of bar mitzvahs and "fancy" business lunches served that way. It's always been a hit. It does create a somewhat less formal ambiance, but definitely not informal. At the bar mitzvahs, for example, the formality was dressy suits or dresses for the women, suits for the men, and the style of food seemed in keeping.

At the bar mitzvahs, I knew everyone at my table, but it did create some fun talk as we passed everything around and discussed all the options. At the business functions, it definitely helped create something to talk about since most of us didn't know each other.
  • Options
    We are serving family style, but still at round tables. It will keep me from having to have centerpieces, since the food will take up a lot of room on the table. It also enhances the intimate (not necessarily informal or casual) feel of our wedding. We are all about having a nice, elegant, but still comfortable gathering with our family and closest friends, and I think serving family style definitely enhances this atmosphere.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    This is my favorite! We are doing a family style and my friend did a family style last year. I love this because it allows everyone to have more of what they like and less of what they don't like rather than just what is on their plate. Plus there isn't a line for the food like with a buffet...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards