Wedding Invitations & Paper

Prompt ceremony wording

I need help on my wedding invitation wording to indicate to guests that they should arrive early to the ceremony. I do not want to start late b/c that will cut into my time later. This is what i have:

The pleasure of your company
is requested at the marriage of

Katrina Rockett
&
Gordon Henshaw

on Saturday the first of June
two thousand thirteen
seating begins at five o’clock
ceremony will begin promply
at half past five o’clock

Jennifer’s Garden
555 Gore Road
Morris, IL 60450

Reception to follow

does this sound ok? I want to make sure the ceremony begins on time (all the blogs say it starts 15-20 min. after), but do not want to sound rude. Please voice your opinion! I am writing this while the groom is away.

Re: Prompt ceremony wording

• If you're afraid people will be late and your ceremony will start late in turn, put the ceremony time 15 minutes early and walk down the aisle as planned at 530.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to Re:Prompt ceremony wording:[QUOTE]If you're afraid people will be late and your ceremony will start late in turn, put the ceremony time 15 minutes early and walk down the aisle as planned at 530. nbsp; Posted by McRogol[/QUOTE]

NO. DO NOT DO THIS. The above is very rude to those who are on time.

Do as CMGr suggested and put the start time on your invitations. Then start at that time. Those who are late will miss a portion of the ceremony due to their tardiness.
  • In Response to Re:Prompt ceremony wording:[QUOTE]If you're afraid people will be late and your ceremony will start late in turn, put the ceremony time 15 minutes early and walk down the aisle as planned at 530. nbsp; Posted by McRogol[/QUOTE]

Do NOT do this. I would be pissed when I showed up on time just to find out the ceremony really starts at 5:30.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Do as CMGr suggested and start when you're supposed to start.  Don't be demanding and tell your guests "promptly".

This is very rude as well. Do what CMGr said.
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_prompt-ceremony-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b5dc6861-555e-4c5e-bc49-a0b0a278728dPost:91524c21-3c11-4c4b-8357-37ece7bba110">Re:Prompt ceremony wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Prompt ceremony wording: NO. DO NOT DO THIS. The above is very rude to those who are on time. Do as CMGr suggested and put the start time on your invitations. Then start at that time. Those who are late will miss a portion of the ceremony due to their tardiness.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Good to know. My venue recommended that we do this. Very timely advice since we are currently working on our invitations. I'll keep it as the real time.

I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't add "promptly". It has no place on a polite invitation, and I don't think it will make someone that would have been late show up on time.
  • I would laugh if you told your guests the ceremony would start promptly at 5:30 and YOU were running late for some reason. Do not do this. Just put the start time. People know it starts "promptly" at that time, just like they know movies, theater shows, concerts, etc start at the time indicated.  If they are late, they are late. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with everyone else.  Do NOT use "promptly" on your invitations.  Start on time, and have the wedding coordinator or someone else hold late arriving guests at the back of the venue while you walk down the aisle. 
  • LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Prompt ceremony wording:
    [QUOTE]I would laugh if you told your guests the ceremony would start promptly at 5:30 and YOU were running late for some reason. Do not do this. Just put the start time. People know it starts "promptly" at that time, just like they know movies, theater shows, concerts, etc start at the time indicated.  If they are late, they are late. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

A bride on Four Weddings did this.  She explicitly said her biggest pet peeve was when the ceremony started late.  Ahahaha, her ceremony started like an hour late.  She looked like a total asshat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• None of my girls' weddings started even a minute late.  We used "backwards planning" that I learned in the Army at an NCO academy and we had extra time on our hands.

If YOU plan correctly your ceremony WILL start on time.  Please do not say anything about your ceremony starting promptly at whatever time.  You come down the aisle on time and if you have late guests your ushers can seat them at the back when the processional is done.
  • BTW - is that your ACTUAL names and ceremony information in your OP?  If so, please come back and change it out ASAP.  There are loony tunes on the internet who could play havoc with your plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards