Canada-Ontario

Wedding Flowers

Hello fellow Toronto Knotties...

I haven't been on the board for a few weeks. Been so busy trying to figure more wedding stuff out. I already find myself getting stressed out, so I'm trying to take it easy. Also getting a bit overwhelmed with prices and the cost of things. I don't want to go insane over this process, so I take breaks often!

I'm working on my budget a bit more, and trying to fill in some blanks.

Can anyone let me know roughly how much wedding flowers would cost in this area? I don't know much about this topic so I would really like to get a feel for the prices before going out to the stores (don't want to get ripped off)!

Also, who is doing their own flowers? And who is using real flowers vs fake ones?

Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
*Melissa*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
*Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~

Re: Wedding Flowers

• edited December 2011
    Hey. Welcome back. I understand why weddings can get so stressful now. I am only using a florist for my bouquets and for the bouts for the men. I am going to Loblaws or a nursery and using potted plants or other things I can find there for center pieces, decorations, etc. I am having an outside ceremony so I figure I do not want to spend a lot on flowers when they will just wilt. Besides no one ever wants to take them home afterwards. I still have to price flowers but I am sure you can find something. The girls here have been very helpful. Good luck.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your costs will depend on your guest count (if you are using florals in table centerpieces), the number of bridesmaids & groomsmen in your wedding party, and how much your overall wedding budget is.

For the church, venue, bouquets, boutonnieres, corsages, centerpieces (with 180 guests), little decor pieces, flowers for the cake and smaller tables, and setup & tax, we are looking at just under $3000.   

That's a great number for me based on my overall budget, but I know this can be done for much less!  If you let us know your ideas and plans, we can probably help you budget a bit better! :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only got quotes from a couple of florist shops, and they were generally:

$75+ for a BM bouquet
    $125+ for a bridal bouquet
    $10+ for a boutonniere
    $15+ for a corsage

However, I ended up going the DIY route with the help of my brother's GF.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • mel66mel66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very helpful Ringpop. It's really great to put numbers to the item.

Littlin: I'm trying to keep my budget at 20k-25k, and I don't need anything in the decor aspect. Our reception hall does all that for us. I just need to get the basics... bouquets, boutonniers, corsages.

Now let me get this straight... obviously the bouquets are for the bride and bridesmaids. I'm guessing that boutonniers are worn by the best man, and groomsman, but also the fathers of groom and bride? And corsages, I assume, are worn by the mothers?
    *Melissa*
    *Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
    ~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's all your preference - but you will definitely save some money if you are not using floral decor.

Usually the bride has a larger/more full bouquet, the bridesmaids may have smaller versions or something completely different (all up to you and them), and the boutonniers are usually for the groom, groomsmen, and fathers - even grandfathers if you really want.  Corsages could be for the moms or even grandmothers.  

You could also get something for anyone else - such as people doing readings, ushers, etc., but I don't think that's really expected.  You may want to consider a small "toss" bouquet if you want to preserve your own.  My florist includes this with a bridal bouquet purchase.

Bouquet prices vary the most depending on the flower type and fullness - I am doing a lot of roses, so the bouquets are a bit pricier, but ring_pop's corsage and boutonnier prices are dead one for me.

Florists will have no problem working within your budget - just be open to their ideas and bring some pictures with you for inspiration! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing our own flowers the day before the wedding, but I used to work in a floral shop so I know I'll enjoy it. We're spending $150 on flowers from Loblaws for 8 centerpieces, bouquets and bouts.

Also, we found really affordable vases at Ikea. I think we bought 8 for $25.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am so glad people responded to this post as I am in the same boat.

Now, why didn't anyone reply when I posted this same dilemma weeks ago?!
  • eveningbrideeveningbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on a tight budget myself, but I opted to have a florist do my bouquets.  Here is what I am doing and what I was quoted (note this is a small town florist, but highly reputable)
    Brides - 75 (Lush peonies... my absolute favourite)
    M.O.H 65 (mix of gerbera daisies... her favourite lol)
    Bridesmaids (x2) no bouquet, instead Im getting them wrist corsage, made of same flowers in M.O.H bouquet ($28 ea.) Plus they are carrying matching clutches :)
    Flower girl - havent decided exactly what Im doing with her, but I was quoted $35 tops.
    Bouts were from $8.50 to $15. 
    Corsages form Mom's was $18-25.

I am also bargaining. I am not accepting 1st quotes from any of my vendors.  There is a huge profit margin in this industry; BARGAIN!!!!
    I figured for the stress of doing them myself, these figures alone are worth it; but I am getting my throw away bouquet tossed in for free. 
    I am aslo doing DIY centerpieces... but that I need advice on ;P
  • edited December 2011
    My flowers were a lot cheaper than I expected.

I am using red roses and ivory roses.

My bouquet and my two bridesmaids bouquets (red roses without any greenery) were only about $25 each.

I ordered 14 ivory and red rose corsages/ boutonnieres for the groom and groomsmen, grandparents, musicians, parents, and ushers.

The florist also threw in a free throw away bouquet.

It was $15 for a red rose cake topper as well.

In total we spent $300.

I think it was a bargain! We also used a small town flower shop located in Parkhill, Ontario. My wedding is in London, Ontario.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards