Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Flavor

What flavor is your cake? How did you decide? We're thinking of having 3 different flavored tier but we want 3 flavors that will get eaten equally. I'm worried about one tier getting eaten and having a ton of cake left over.  

Re: Cake Flavor

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding cake was white almond with raspberry filling.  The Groom's cake was pumpkin spice.  I didn't want to deal with different flavored tiers because guests normally don't get a say, just a piece placed in front of them.  That went for my wedding too. The catering staff came around and handed slices to everyone, including DH and me.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having a 4-tier cake (may turn into 5 once the guest list is finalized and RSVPs come in).  Each tier is 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling.  From the top tier, our flavors are:

white cake with lemon curd and key lime curd, both studded with raspberries
    carrot cake with cream cheese filling
    German chocolate cake with traditional German chocolate filling and Bailey's mousse
    coconut cake with dark chocolate mousse and ganache

If we end up with a 5th tier, it'll probably be a white cake with a fruity mousse filling.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just had strawberry and white cake with buttercream frosting.  Our "groom's cake" was red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are thinking of just going with one tier vanilla with buttercream, one carrott cake, and one chocolate w/ buttercream.

Our grooms cake is going to be 'Better then S*x cake'
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had 3 tiers.  Top tier was white cake with lemon filling, middle tier was supposed to be choc cake with choc filling (but for some reason ended up being white buttercream filling) and the bottom layer was white cake white filling.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did 2 tiers: chocolate macadamia nut mousse and passionfruit mousse.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're have 4 tiers and supplemental sheet cakes.  The flavors are:

-pink champagne w/buttercream
    -cinnamon swirl w/buttercream
    -one layer white, one layer chocolate w/buttercream in between
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    white cake with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we are doing vanilla cake with raspberry filling, our cake is vegan though so we had limitations on what was available, but the cake is delish!
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing red velvet w/chocolate ganache filling.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    valeriemay85valeriemay85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yum those all sound great!!!
  • Options
    byoung0520byoung0520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is 3 tiers with 2 supplemental sheet cakes...in chocolate cake with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting and the other is the traditional almond flavor ...FI's groomsman cake is red velvet with cream cheese frosting.
  • Options
    JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have red velvet with cream cheese filling, chocolate with chocolate mousse filling, almond with cherry filling and almond with cherry and vanilla whipped filling. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LindaN21LindaN21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carrot cake
    Anniversary
  • Options
    RavenBeautieRavenBeautie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a strawberry cake with cheesecake filling and buttercream icing
    Danielle & Anthony 10~31~10
    Our Photo Book!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a 4-tier with a 50-50 split between chocolate opera creme torte and tangerine moon buttercake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese filling and buttercream frosting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are having a vanilla cake with blueberry buttercream filling, soo light and yummy!  3 tiered but just one kind of cake, simple
  • Options
    KMurray87KMurray87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing four tiers for our wedding cake.  The first is marble cake with one layer buttercream filling and one layer chocolate ganache.  The next layer is french vanilla cake with chocolate rasberry mousse filling.  The top two tiers will be chocolate cake with canolli cream filling.
  • Options
    LauraMC09LauraMC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    top layer: lemon cake with raspberry mousse filling
    middle layer: carrot cake with white chocolate mousse filling
    bottom layer: almond cake iwth raspberry mousse filling
  • Options
    sprat85sprat85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We originally wanted to do two or three different flavors.  After talking to the venue, we were told that people would not get to pick which flavor they wanted, it would just be handed to them.   If two flavors, every other, if three every fourth person would get the same flavor.  Instead we just decided to go with red velvet with white chocolate cream cheese filling. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lilianne22lilianne22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a two tier cake along with a sheet cake.  All will be spice cake with creamcheese frosting and a layer of the creamcheese frosting as filling as well.
  • Options
    BudnotesBudnotes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My hubby loves red velvet and that's what he wanted.  I was fine with it - so we thought we had decided on our cake!  Our baker made arrangements for us to have a tasting and we ended up completely changing our mind!!!  We ended up going with a white cake infused with pear brandy and filled with bavarian cream & chocolate chips.  It was absolutely phenomenal!! 

We were going to do the different flavored tiers too, but it just ended up being too complicated.  With my luck i would have ended up with the most popular flavor as the smallest tier and everyone who wanted it wouldn't have been able to have it because there wouldn't have been enough cake to go around!!!  It was just easier keeping it all one flavor.

Good Luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    mcclurekelleymcclurekelley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our only cake was the grooms cake.  We did a dessert buffet instead.

It was Black Velvet (their version of red velvet). 

• Options
    lucy2113lucy2113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I'm allergic to Chocolate we are having French Vanilla with buttercream.... All four tiers. Its going to be amazing!
    Holiday
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have three flavors:
    Bottom layer: white cake with fresh strawberries and cream filling
    Middle layer: half chcolate, half vanilla cake with chocolate truffle filling
    Top layer: red velvet cake with cream cheese filling

We're havng a dessert table set up with the cake laid out and also a fruit display so that people can pick their cake flavor.  I ordered a little extra cake to make sure that we wouldn't run out of any flavors.  If my venue hadn't offered to do the dessert table, I would have only had one flavor so that serving would be easier.
  • Options
    kml21636kml21636 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going to have 5 tiers. Our top layer will be pound cake (FI has an obsession with it, and you can also freeze it forever and it still tastes good) Then coffee, red velvet, white/vanilla, then chocolate. Of course buttercream inbetween but we're not too fancy when it comes to the mousse and stuff. We're just keeping it simple
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    white with strawberry on bottom-largest layer something eveyrone can enjoy
    middle-redvelvet (brides fave and should be popular)
    top- lemon with lemon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    abigirl9abigirl9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had trouble narrowing down choices at the cake tasting, so we are having kahlua (top tier), chocolate (middle), white almond (bottom tier) and a strawberry sheet cake (it is soo amazing, chunks of strawberry in it!)

The groom's cake is currently in the planning process, originally it was going to be red velvet (his fav) but because it's going to be a shaped cake it needs to be pound cake so it will probably be either chocolate or cinnamon.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having the wedding cake be white cake with raspberry filling, and two kinds of cupcakes - french vanilla and chocolate with chocolate filling. They all have buttercream icing!
    Love, Erin
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards