Pre-wedding Parties

Who goes to the Bridal Shower?

I have always been under the impression that Bridal Showers were woman only.  So when it came to my shower which i do not know the details of I assumed my fiance would not be attending.  However, my mother has a very different idea and when I told him that he wasn't going she got very upset and angry.  Her exact words were she is "disappointed" in my fiance.  Was he supposed to go?  My MOH said that the groom and any of the guys in the bridal party go.  I have never heard this before.  My fiance agreed to go at the very end of the shower to help with the gifts and thank whoever was around, but he has no intention on going to the shower and never expressed any interest in going.  I don't know what to do.

Re: Who goes to the Bridal Shower?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_who-goes-to-the-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:0f2255f8-fe41-421e-8728-7c9154320631Post:f765f938-9579-41c4-b5b1-6899b0316237">Who goes to the Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have always been under the impression that Bridal Showers were woman only.  So when it came to my shower which i do not know the details of I assumed my fiance would not be attending.  However, my mother has a very different idea and when I told him that he wasn't going she got very upset and angry.  Her exact words were she is "disappointed" in my fiance.  Was he supposed to go?  My MOH said that the groom and any of the guys in the bridal party go.  I have never heard this before.  My fiance agreed to go at the very end of the shower to help with the gifts and thank whoever was around, but he has no intention on going to the shower and never expressed any interest in going.  I don't know what to do.
    Posted by Dchristie85[/QUOTE]

This varies quite a bit depending on your circle. My H came to ours and stayed the whole time, but I've never heard of the guys in the BP attending.

Who is hosting the shower? If it is your mother, then I would ask if he would come for the whole thing; I can understand throwing a party for someone and being disappointed that they don't plan to even attend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My MOH is hosting the shower but my mother has her hands in everything wedding related.  I told my MOH in the beginning that I wanted a women only shower.
  • I've only been to women only showers, but a few of my friends have had their H either attend or show up at the end....typically he takes her to the "surprise" shower and then comes back later. My Fi is actually babysitting all of the kids so it truly is a "women only" shower. I had to clear that one up with everyone too, or else I would have more kids at my shower than adults....

talk to your mom about it...explain the confusion
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sometimes people do a "couples shower" so its men and women.  But IMO most men would rather not have to go to a shower, haha. My shower is out of town in my hometown, so FI will come down with me that weekend, but plans on hanging out with his brother while I do the shower thing with the girls.  I have never been to a co-ed shower, but have been to showers where the FI shows up at the end to say hi and thank you.

Anniversary
  • edited February 2013
    I've been to all women-only showers; one exception was a friend who had her Fi and dad present the whole time.  But the poor guys looked bored out of their minds.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have to been to women-only and a co-ed shower. It really depends on what you want, but whatever you decide, go with it fully.

The co-ed shower I went to was really nice- the groom and his side of the bridal party were all there, male friends and family members were also in attendance. Lots of food, and fun games. It wasn't too girly, so I wouldn't say any of the guys were bored. It was more like a nice gathering to celebrate two people at a nice hall. No gifts were opened in front of anyone. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards