June 2012 Weddings
Options

Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!

So how do we tell our guests NOT to give checks we want cash. We need that money for our honeymoon!! We won't be able to cash the checks over the weekend so checks do us no good - we need cash! 

Also if they write a check to Mr. & Mrs. FI's last name they will be useless because FI is changing to MY last name! He doesn't need to give up his identity - my name is much more powerful and respected in our community. 
Cake!

Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:e518a5e8-9408-4e9f-bbd3-e87b4a308504">Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So how do we tell our guests NOT to give checks we want cash. We need that money for our honeymoon!! We won't be able to cash the checks over the weekend so checks do us no good - we need cash!  Also if they write a check to Mr. & Mrs. FI's last name they will be useless because FI is changing to MY last name! He doesn't need to give up his identity - my name is much more powerful and respected in our community. 
    Posted by Hulkster2012[/QUOTE]

You should put it in your invites...you haven't sent those yet, right? Otherwise, you could call up everyone on your list and let them know. Even NO's...I mean, just b/c they can't come, doesn't mean they can't send you a couple hundred $s.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I had the same question! Just tell them it's a "Wishing Well" wedding...here is some help with wording!

This one seems quite appropriate for your situation:

"Friends, as you are aware we already have most items needed to 'set up house'. This is the reason for us choosing a wedding wishing well. At the reception there will be a wishing well in which we would love to receive your greeting card and contribution. This will be a great way for us to pool together and buy ourselves something quite luxurious, or to make our honeymoon even better!"
  • Options
    Better yet - just put it as your public Facebook status.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:e518a5e8-9408-4e9f-bbd3-e87b4a308504">Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So how do we tell our guests NOT to give checks we want cash. We need that money for our honeymoon!! We won't be able to cash the checks over the weekend so checks do us no good - we need cash!  <strong>Also if they write a check to Mr. & Mrs. FI's last name they will be useless because FI is changing to MY last name! He doesn't need to give up his identity - my name is much more powerful and respected in our community. </strong>

This is ridiculous. Men are superior to women. When you marry him, you become his property....so you really should take his name. Additionally, you need to make sure you do whatever he wants you to do and not express opinions. This article may help:

<a href="http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/index.htm" rel="nofollow">http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/index.htm</a>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just tell everyone you wear the pants in the relationship. They'll know what it means. 
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I would just open all the cards at the wedding right away (like, before dinner is served) and announce what every contribution is. And then I would rip up any checks written to the two of you and announce that no such person as "FI FirstName LastName" exists anymore, so they better just fork over the cash. And don't give people their dinner until they hand over the dough.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:357948f2-9756-4809-8810-6b41c21531a6">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?! : This is ridiculous. Men are superior to women. When you marry him, you become his property....so you really should take his name. Additionally, you need to make sure you do whatever he wants you to do and not express opinions. This article may help: <a href="http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/index.htm" rel="nofollow">http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/index.htm</a>
    Posted by MiksChick23[/QUOTE]

<div>That's from 1955! NOT HAPPENING! He is taking my NAME! I refuse to lose myself to some man</div>
    Cake!
  • Options
    If you need honeymoon money, have you though about charging people like $10 towards their plates? 
  • Options
    I do like Daria's advice, but if you feel like there isn't enough time in the reception to make such an announcement I would make guests pay a cover before they enter the reception. Charge them however much you are paying for their plate. If they refuse, just tell them it's just a precaution and that it will be returned......and "forget" to return it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:5b2d7d70-10a8-439a-a38c-88aefa0c058c">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?! : That's from 1955! NOT HAPPENING! He is taking my NAME! I refuse to lose myself to some man

MEN ARE SUPERIOR. Isn't "submit and obey" a part of your vows? Don't you know that when you get married EVERYTHING changes and you are responsible for keeping dinner served, the house clean and anything else your husband wishes?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!:[QUOTE]If you need honeymoon money, have you though about charging people like 10 towards their plates?nbsp; Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]Damn you.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:6e7ffeaa-85d8-4074-9e1d-972e1928a8e2">Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do like Daria's advice, but if you feel like there isn't enough time in the reception to make such an announcement I would make guests pay a cover before they enter the reception. Charge them however much you are paying for their plate. If they refuse, just tell them it's just a precaution and that it will be returned......and "forget" to return it.
    Posted by spiffycoolbeans[/QUOTE]

This is a fabulous idea. But I would charge them a little more than per/plate. Got to make a profit.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm sorry but it is inapporpiate to ask your guests for cash
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:6e7ffeaa-85d8-4074-9e1d-972e1928a8e2">Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do like Daria's advice, but if you feel like there isn't enough time in the reception to make such an announcement I would make guests pay a cover before they enter the reception. Charge them however much you are paying for their plate. If they refuse, just tell them it's just a precaution and that it will be returned......and "forget" to return it.

<div>Oooh I like this - so if we factor in the cost of everything we need to charge people $250 a head. Now is this PLUS a gift? And how do we make sure people show up with CASH?</div>
    Cake!
  • Options
    Hulkster Don't take this personally, but do you turn green when you're pissed? That alone would be enough to make me fork over cash.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:f323b498-4cdb-4bd7-abf7-8dfa7d89e99c">Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hulkster Don't take this personally, but do you turn green when you're pissed? That alone would be enough to make me fork over cash.
     :) nice. 
  • Options
    Pehaps you could also rent a machine that will allow guests to use plastic? It could auto-debit to your checking account. Just charge them a fee if they don't have cash. Or, you could add on a fee to have an ATM available in the lobby of your venue.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!:I do like Daria's advice, but if you feel like there isn't enough time in the reception to make such an announcement I would make guests pay a cover before they enter the reception. Charge them however much you are paying for their plate. If they refuse, just tell them it's just a precaution and that it will be returned......and "forget" to return it.Posted by spiffycoolbeansOooh I like this so if we factor in the cost of everything we need to charge people 250 a head. Now is this PLUS a gift? And how do we make sure people show up with CASH? Posted by Hulkster2012[/QUOTE]
    Ehhh 250 is a little steep personally. And aren't you having a cash bar? People should have cash for that anyways. If they love you enough they'll fork over their alcohol money for the cover charge and refrain from drinking at the reception.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think you should just tell them or make a sign at the wedding...like "Cash Preferred"
    Also, some banks will let you set up a "bank registry" or "matrimoney" that way they can just deposit straight to you account. I would also suggest a money dance in addition to the wishing well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:49febb63-3a94-475c-8a90-88da99b50fe6">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?! : MEN ARE SUPERIOR. Isn't "submit and obey" a part of your vows? Don't you know that when you get married EVERYTHING changes and you are responsible for keeping dinner served, the house clean and anything else your husband wishes?

<div>Umm I feel sorry for you - you obviously live in a VERY skewed world. And submit has NEVER been in vows and obey was REMOVED</div>
    Cake!
  • Options
    You have obvoiusly been to some scandalous weddings. Submit is most definitely a part of the vows, and obey should also be. Imagine if women stopped obeying their husbands, ah! What would the world come to? I am looking forward to no longer having to make decisions and figure out what to do with my time. My husband will be more than happy to direct me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hulkster, could your cake be any more obnoxious? 

It's like The Hulk of cakes.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I bet those crystals are not Swarovski. 
  • Options
    Usually I judge people by their appearances only, BMI mixed with attractiveness and I've gotta say Husky, you are just that. Rotund and kind of blaze. No offense.
  • Options
    OOO we are actually having an open bar but I could tell them to charge and we can just pocket anything from the bar!

And my actual cake will actually be much more beautiful than the one in my sig. And yes we will be using real Swarovski
    Cake!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:6c3b0586-1aa0-421b-a415-cda3158c2c27">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OOO we are actually having an open bar but I could tell them to charge and we can just pocket anything from the bar! And my actual cake will actually be much more beautiful than the one in my sig. And yes we will be using real  Swarovski
    Hold up lady.  I call bull!  You're having real swarovski crystal on your cake....but you can't afford/need people's cash for your honeymoon?  Your priorities are effed up.

What are you REALLY doing with this money?  This is a safe place, you can tell us.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    PS, the fact that your little picture icon has changed THREE TIMES already in the length of this conversation proves my point that you need a man making your decisions, fickle woman.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:0162756e-9456-4d3d-a744-8b9d3f76779c">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?! : Hold up lady.  I call bull!  You're having real swarovski crystal on your cake....but you can't afford/need people's cash for your honeymoon?  Your priorities are effed up. What are you REALLY doing with this money?  This is a safe place, you can tell us.

Real Swarovski & and open bar...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:38092696-78fe-494e-b207-4d509df021e6">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS, the fact that your little picture icon has changed THREE TIMES already in the length of this conversation proves my point that you need a man making your decisions, fickle woman.

<div>
    </div><div>Hahaha Fickle. I agree with this Hulksy, you need to have a man help you make all your decisions. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_cash-for-gifts-how-do-we-say-what-we-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5154528d-e397-426d-9582-57695d312fdfPost:0162756e-9456-4d3d-a744-8b9d3f76779c">Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cash for Gifts? How do we say what we want?! : Hold up lady.  I call bull!  You're having real swarovski crystal on your cake....but you can't afford/need people's cash for your honeymoon?  Your priorities are effed up. What are you REALLY doing with this money?  This is a safe place, you can tell us.
     <div>
    </div><div>Plain and simple - Daddy's checkbook and Amex =) buuuuut we are on our own for the honeymoon and he's being really mean and cutting me off cold turkey once I say I do. Until I get my trust fund anyway!</div>
    Cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards