Snarky Brides

Teacher fired for zeros

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Alberta+teacher+kicked+class+giving+students+zeros/6714533/story.html

CN: Teacher handed out zero grades for unsubmitted work and he was suspended and will likely be fired for it because zeros are "unfair".

Thoughts?

Edit: better link

Re: Teacher fired for zeros

• My thoughts on this is that it's horseshit.  If a kid didn't do work or got no answers right, then zero it is.  Simple math.  Or do we not do simple math anymore?
    panther
  • I read the argument about him not giving zeros because there would be at least some understanding of the subject matter, therefore a zero is not appropriate. But my argument is where is the proof if no assignment is completed? how would you know they had any understanding?

So, I definitely side with the teacher.
  • I think this exemplifies exactly what's wrong with kids these days.

"Fair" is so overabused right now.
  • cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    If I went to that HS I would never hand in a single assignment. Why bother if the principal himself says it can't count toward your final grade?
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In the real world, if you don't do the work, you fail. No one is going to pay your bills or pat you on the back and say "well you tried, don't worry about paying rent". Life aint fhucking fair, you either do the work or fail at life. Better they learn now than later when it has more risk.
  • I agree with everyone so far.

Our school, before I left, was in talks of taking away the "F". I once had a parent complain to my SUPERINTENDENT that I gave her daughter two zeros and it brought her from a B+ to a B. The girl never handed the assignments in so how was I to grade it? Anyway, the superintendent made me give her a "C" average grade for it and it bumped her back up to a B+. He told me that because I was the teacher, I should have made sure she handed it in. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Growing up, we didn't have letter grades until 4th grade. I think that's fair. k-3 you're graded more on effort and whether you complete the tasks, etc.  I think it was just "exceeds expectations, satisfactory, needs improvement" or something like that.  4th - 6th was just ABCF, and then 7th was everything. (A+, A, A-, etc.) and we started getting an actual GPA at that point too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:f412eb94-96d8-45f7-87ff-bad129528b36">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think this exemplifies exactly what's wrong with kids these days. "Fair" is so overabused right now.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>*like*</div><div>
    </div><div>We're doing kids a disservice by enabling this crap behavior.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:31e2826b-c941-49e6-9083-c143359fc03d">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the real world, if you don't do the work, you fail. No one is going to pay your bills or pat you on the back and say "well you tried, don't worry about paying rent". Life aint fhucking fair, you either do the work or fail at life. Better they learn now than later when it has more risk.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly what I think. In life, people fail. It happens. Not everyone is good at everything. I honestly think it's coming from the parents more and more as the years go by. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros:[QUOTE]I agree with everyone so far.Our school, before I left, was in talks of taking away the "F". I once had a parent complain to my SUPERINTENDENT that I gave her daughter two zeros and it brought her from a B to a B. The girl never handed the assignments in so how was I to grade it? Anyway, the superintendent made me give her a "C" average grade for it and it bumped her back up to a B. He told me that because I was the teacher, I should have made sure she handed it in.nbsp; Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    That's effed. How are you going to make them do it? You probably did your due diligence but you can't force them. Its their responsibility and they need to learn that. Noone is going to keep reminding you to do stuff later in life, that's up to you.
  • Plus... by making everyone think they're doing well from the get-go you'll never be able to help students who might not be as capable.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:8931f087-83e2-4a13-afa1-0948149414fc">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros: That's effed. How are you going to make them do it? You probably did your due diligence but you can't force them. Its their responsibility and they need to learn that. Noone is going to keep reminding you to do stuff later in life, that's up to you.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    I had the kids all day so I did harp on them to turn things in. My principal called me to tell me this was going on 2 weeks into summer vacation. By that point, I didn't give a shhit. Change the grade. Whatever. She still didn't EARN the B+ and that's where some parents miss the point. You may get your kid's grade changed but they still didn't earn it. I'm sure she is forgetting to turn in papers in middle school and it's probably happening again.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • On a side note dealing with schools, as ordered by the state, we give state tests to the kids starting in 3rd grade. In 5th grade you have to take a state test in every subject no matter if you are a regular ed student, special ed student, or an english language learner.

I had a student who spoke maybe 10 words of English. She had come to America a month before the tests were given out. She HAD to take the state test in everything, even reading. She got one question right out of 50 because she coudn't READ the test. How sad is that?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:f16da11b-cf36-4b16-b297-61aa0efe6d3d">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]On a side note dealing with schools, as ordered by the state, we give state tests to the kids starting in 3rd grade. In 5th grade you have to take a state test in every subject no matter if you are a regular ed student, special ed student, or an english language learner. <strong>I had a student who spoke maybe 10 words of English. She had come to America a month before the tests were given out. She HAD to take the state test in everything, even reading. She got one question right out of 50 because she coudn't READ the test. How sad is that?
    </strong>Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

This just goes to show how there is a huge disconnect in our school systems. 

I was under the impression that in schools there would be an interpreter who could help with these sort of things?  Does that not apply for state tests?
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:c2fd1e7f-04d0-464d-af47-e881bc92c1fa">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : This just goes to show how there is a huge disconnect in our school systems.  I was under the impression that in schools there would be an interpreter who could help with these sort of things?  Does that not apply for state tests?
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]
    Not for reading because then they wouldn't be testing her reading because someone else would be telling her what it said.<div>
    </div><div>She did better in math because it was just problems, although she obviously missed the word problems.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    Wtf is wrong with parents that they actually fihgt these things? Why are they like this now?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:1c339b43-00f1-4422-bccb-20a883488823">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wtf is wrong with parents that they actually fihgt these things? Why are they like this now?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    They fight so many things Nebb, you have no idea. I also had parents who would do their kids homework and projects for them and turn it in in their handwriting. They tried to pass it off like their kid did it but you could totally tell an 11 year did not do it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • This is bullshit. BULLSHIT.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:1c339b43-00f1-4422-bccb-20a883488823">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wtf is wrong with parents that they actually fihgt these things? Why are they like this now?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I have a friend that TAs and teaches COLLEGE English. Parents still call and complain to her about grades. College students.</div><div>
    </div><div>Granted, we get those calls allllll the time when kids don't get their first choice dorm. Usually explaining to the parent the 20+ reminders we send out calms them down. But there are always a few that think their kid should be the exception. 

</div>
  • I'd be more inclined to fire a teacher for NOT giving zeros on work that wasn't handed in. What a fuuuucking disgusting society we're becoming. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros:[QUOTE]I'd be more inclined to fire a teacher for NOT giving zeros on work that wasn't handed in. What a fuuuucking disgusting society we're becoming.nbsp; Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]
    I wish I could bold, highlight and enlarge your last sentence cause I ditto that so hard.
  • H and I were actually just talking about how much of a joke our education system is because stuff like this happens so often. You know schools are only doing this because they need to have higher graduation and passing rates to keep the funding coming from the gov't. <---- In this right, the gov't is a fucking waste and DoE needs to die in a terrible fire.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:57b69cc4-2372-4c56-91b6-1ae62dfa0f50">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]H and I were actually just talking about how much of a joke our education system is because stuff like this happens so often. You know schools are only doing this because they need to have higher graduation and passing rates to keep the funding coming from the gov't. <---- In this right, the gov't is a fucking waste and DoE needs to die in a terrible fire.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    This also happens with school suspensions. Schools don't want suspensions on their records so they'll not suspend kids who should be suspended.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:f24bf9b9-45fb-421e-a38b-ce5fdd851013">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : This also happens with school suspensions. Schools don't want suspensions on their records so they'll not suspend kids who should be suspended.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    This is crap. Kids need to be suspended to learn that their bad actions have consequences. I mean, when my friends and I set a pig free in the school, we totally knew we were going to get in trouble, but it was too hilarious not to do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:da53ebb7-68d3-410d-b904-02bfaca310d9">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]<u><em><strong>I'd be more inclined to fire a teacher for NOT giving zeros on work that wasn't handed in. What a fuuuucking disgusting society we're becoming. </strong></em></u>
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

Here Nebb!
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:f24bf9b9-45fb-421e-a38b-ce5fdd851013">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : This also happens with school suspensions. Schools don't want suspensions on their records so they'll not suspend kids who should be suspended.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

There were a lot of kids at my HS who didn't care about suspensions because they got to just stay home.  They started implementing In School Suspension.  Do those have to be recorded the same way?
    imageVacation
  • WhatthemotherFUCK.
    I agree, this is just PROOF of how effed up our society is.  We need to stop holding kids hands.  We need to teach them that THEY are accountable for their actions and the work they do.  Part of a grade is actually handing in the material, not just knowing it.

Shiiit like this makes my blood boil.  All these kids are being taught is if they biiitch about something enough, it will be handed to them.  They are also being taught that doing homework is not necessary.

Baloney.
  • This story has a little more info:
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Edmonton+teacher+suspended+giving+students+zeros/6713603/story.html

His syllabus even states that he gives zeros for missing assignments.  So it's not like the kids weren't warned.
  • When I was in school and didn't turn in assignments, my parents would most definitely not come to the rescue for me.  I took that zero.  And when I would get the quarterly (elementary) or six week report cards (junior high and high school), I had the grade I actually deserved.  

The ONLY time they came to my rescue was when my fourth grade teacher was singling me out and disciplining me for stuff she would ignore with other students.  She had a personal beef against my mom and she projected that on to me.  
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    bologna =/= baloney. 

That's about all I can add right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards