Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Laser Hair removal

Has anyone done this? Was it painful? Was it worth it?

Thanks!

Re: Laser Hair removal

• Options
    belgirlbelgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you subscribe to Groupon.com, but they came out with a deal for laser hair removal today--6 treatments for $99 at Deseret Aesthetic & Lifestyle Institute in Mesa.  Pretty good deal!
  • Options
    LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually do this for a living, so I'd be happy to answer questions for you. (and no I'm not trying to advertise myself. lol)

I have done it to myself quite a few times. It does work, but there are a lot of variables. It works best on dark hair.

It does hurt, but it is tolerable. You can take a pain reliever before your treatment and that helps sometimes. Also, do not have caffeine before your appointment and try to avoid getting it done right before or during your period. It makes you more sensitive and often hurts more.

My biggest caution, is do NOT go to American Laser Centers. They are terrible and will rip you off. and do your research on whoever you decide to go with.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    sboobear03sboobear03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LedZeppelin- I am curious to why no caffeine right before?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The stimulants in it make you more sensitive, thus the treatment will be more painful.

It also can make you anxious. I have had a lot of people say that the anxiety before the treatment is worse than the actual treatment. It's almost like you're psyching yourself out, if that makes sense.The caffeine can exacerbate this feeling.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    sboobear03sboobear03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok now it makes sense!  :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Laser for Less for a free trial area.  I have blonde hair, but it's not like platinum blonde so I thought maybe it would be dark enough (I have highlights so my actual color is a little darker than my pic).  It didn't really seem to work, so I never invested the money to actually do it.  My friend did her underarms and went through like 8 sessions.  Her hair is darker than mine, but still not super dark.  She thought it worked, but now she says the hair is all back and the same as before.

I have been trying waxing but the in between time is tough in the summer in Phx and it is expensive to maintain long-term.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    janjan brings up a couple good points. Laser doesn't tend to work very well on light hair because it is attracted to the pigment in the hair. If you have light hair (or even if you don't) you should ask them to do a test patch on you before you purchase anything like janjan mentioned. Give it a couple weeks and see if there is any difference. If the place has any problem doing this for you, it's probably not a place you wanna do business with.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had my lip and underarms done. After a year of treatments (... I'm still doing it), I have about 70% hair reduction. I have fair skin and black hair, but my mom's Italian (... need I say more!!). I used to shave my under arms everyday and typically had stubble by the end of the day. Now I shave once, maybe twice a week. :) Even though it's not 100% gone, I am pretty happy with the results and would totally recommend laser hair removal to anyone interested. As for the pain, it hurts less than waxing.
  • Options
    JMejia1972JMejia1972 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have medium tone skin and very dark here so it did work for me. I had my bikini done and LOVE it. It's been several years and I get strays here and there, but about 95% reduction, only 2 sessions. Does it hurt? Yes, but definitely tolerable and very much worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards