Gay Weddings

Are you changing your name?

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what other same sex couples getting married are doing with changing their last names. We have friends who have done an assortment of things but we are still undecided. One couple we know, combined their last names and had it legally changed to this combination name. They did this primarily because they planned on having children and wanted everyone to have the same last name. Our best friends both changed their last name to one of their mothers maiden names so it was different for both of them. This also came in handy one their daughter was born and everyone had the same last name. My partner and I are discussing hyphening our last name. We just haven't decided how. For me to add her name to the end of my last name or have her add mine to the end of hers? Or should we do a hyphenated version of both names so we both have the same last name in the same order? I don't know if this is making any sense but would love to hear what other couples are doing or have done.

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are you changing your name?

• KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This a great question.  I never thought of it.  I just assumed I would change my name to hers.  Interested in other's answers as well.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Neither of us changed her name.  Then again, I didn't change my name in my prior marriage to a man, either.  I've never really liked that tradition.
  • llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am taking her last name!!
    Anniversary
  • kerbear610kerbear610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I will most likely hypenate mine. :)

• KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking her last name but it would be hypenated.
  • edited December 2011

Changing my name is going to be the hardest part of this whole thing. Although I am excited about it, my last name has been with me well all my life! :) I plan on changing my last name to hers, hyphenating it would be way to long.

• edited December 2011
    i am changing my name definately. I thought about hyphenating...but i thought it just sounded aweful... so will change  and am looking forward to it! :)
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have no idea what we're doing and the wedding is in like 7 weeks - eek!

I don't want to give up my name completely, but I'm willing to hyphenate. FI thinks that it's too long. I also fine with neither of us changing our names and just keeping our names as is, but then it brings up the question of what names do we give our children? We may very well end up keeping our names for now and then changing them down the line when the issue of children becomes more pressing.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I can't WAIT to take her name!!
  • AmiDeniseAmiDenise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're both changing our name to hyphenated combination of our last names.  It's rather long, so that may change by the time we actually get around to do so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • daisywithakdaisywithak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

She is keeping her same last name and I am hyphenating mine to add hers!

• Fabi&NitaFabi&Nita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We both want to take each others names :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are both hyphenating our names. Unfortunately, she might end up not hyphenating because her first name sounds a little ridiculous with my last name, but I'm very excited to take her name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am changing my to my partners. I found out in Missouri, instead of going to an attorney, the library had the papers... Than I have to take them to the courthouse on tues, wed, thurs. Be there before 8 am. And for 187.00 I get to see the judge. When of course its my turn. Im planning on doing this in September before our ceremony Oct.1, 2011. Im really curious if this will be easy.. or I have a right wing conservative judge... asking why. We will see. But this is something I really want to do... wouldnt the 95.00 marriage license been easier? 
  • Kpat909Kpat909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered hyphenating originally but combined our new last name would be 18 letters plus a hyphen, and that seemed like a really long signature to me.

We considered both changing our names, but we couldn't think of anything that really fit both of us.

I decided that it would be very symbolic to me to change my name to hers. It feels like a very 'there' way of joining each other, especially because we can't legally marry in utah.
  • c&m0726c&m0726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are from NY and we got married in CT but are planning out wedding now :) My last name is Lopez and hers is Rogers, the day we got married we both changed it to Lopez-Rogers. Now we are thinking of doing a combo of out last names to make a new one and changing it on our wedding day
  • edited December 2011

My partner and I are planning out big day September ,4th 2011 and I can't wait to take her lastname. We live in Va,but I called the SS office and if we get married in DC and take out marriage lic. to the SS office in out state I can change my last name. EXCITED beyond words!!

• edited December 2011
    We are filing for domestic partnership now.  Once it is legal, I will go through the legal name change process at the courthouse and pay the $250 or so.  Then we will get the domestic partnership amended to match our married name.  What a mess and a pain, but I can't wait to change my name!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • roandkatroandkat member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm hyphenating...that is just for the sake of the future kids to come in the picture!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards