Snarky Brides

Thursday

Morning,

Where is everyone lately?!

Last night was fine, FI went snowboarding most of the day.
So I went out and had Sushi, It was amazing!
today is my Friday!

So what is everyone doing this weekend?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Thursday

• Snowboarding sounds fun! I had sushi last night, too. 

One of our shareholders and founders passed away last night after a fairly quick battle with melanoma, so today at work is going to be very sad and melancholy. Some people here worked with him for 30 years.

I did some of our taxes last night, and it looks like we're going to get a sizable refund. I don't like getting a refund, it just means the government has been holding my money this whole time, but at least it will speed up paying off our debt. Hopefully we we will be completely debt-free by the end of the year! Including cars and student loans!
    Then we can start looking at houses and acquire more debt. :) 
  • Happy Thursday! Glad the week is almost done -- this morning I didn't realize I had the wrong pants on until I was putting my shoes on to walk out the door... But I just said screw it and wore the ones I had on...

Yesterday I ordered all of the elements for our save the dates (envelopes, stamps, rubber stamp) and polished up the list of addresses. Hoping to address all the envelopes this weekend and have everything in the mail next week.
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pickle - We LOVED our rubber stamp with our address so much that we ordered a new one when we moved. 
  • Good morning ladies!

I'm off to grab the last few things from our old place. Its sad to see it empty, it looks like such a dump. It makes me realize how hard we worked to make it look nice.

Working this afternoon, then school tonight. Hopefully the professor will be more interesting this week. He kept droning on and on last week, I felt like falling asleep!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Swag that's exciting that you may get all debt payed off. I was pretty excited last year when I finished paying off my student loan. We are going out to dinner with one of FI coworkers tonight.
  • I wouldn't know how fun it is.
    I can't get myself to do it. I told FI I would try it with him but I live in the wrong state.
    I hate the cold, the snow and falling... and snowboarding consists of all of those.

I love sushi. :)

I can't wait to get my taxes done. I feel like I am always the last one to get my W2
  • I'm still waiting for 3  w2s! Aren't the required to be to me, like today? 

I'm feeling much better than yesterday, but still plan on taking it easy. I'd rather veg for a couple days now than be really sick later. 
  • Pickle - that's why I love working medical; no outfits to sort through - just ugly-assed scrubs all day every day. ;)

Apple - you live in Utah right?  Don't you have snow like 24/7?  My son used to snowboard; not sure if he does it anymore.  I used to downhill ski and always liked that but xH didn't ski and I did not have any friends at the time who did, so I slowly got away from it.
  • Yay!  I love Thursdays!

I take the girl I nanny to gymnastics, and she loves it so much.  Then we're going to the library, and tonight I have dog training.

Also, yesterday at the library I ran into one of my boss's friend's MIL (any my boss's friend's toddler) so we got to talking and the MIL let it slip that her DIL is pregnant!  I'm excited for the friend, but I guess the couple hasn't told anyone because it is still so early in the pregnancy, and I hate having a secret.  Even one that doesn't actually affect me in any way.  I didn't mention it to my boss, because I'm 90% sure she doesn't know yet and I feel like that's information that should come from the couple.

Does anybody else hate knowing things they shouldn't?  I am so worried I'm going to accidently say something.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:cd258aff-7a68-431a-8ab9-d55e4b330665">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pickle - that's why I love working medical; no outfits to sort through - just ugly-assed scrubs all day every day. ;) Apple - you live in Utah right?  Don't you have snow like 24/7?  My son used to snowboard; not sure if he does it anymore.  I used to downhill ski and always liked that but xH didn't ski and I did not have any friends at the time who did, so I slowly got away from it.
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.

No we actually had Two big storms last year. thats it.
    This year we have had a lot more snow. This week its been three days of it, I could actually see stars last night. it was so nice.

I swear one day it can be 40 degrees then the next its -2 and snowing like crazy.
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Snowboarding is fun. But warning, it's quite painful to learn. Your knees will be constantly bruised in the learning process, if you fall as much as I did. I don't really snowboard anymore because I have issues with circulation especially in my feet with my boots, so I've given it up for the time being. 

I'm craving sushi now. I wish it wasn't so expensive. For H and I, it'd end up being around $30 or more to have enough to fill us up, and that's at least double what I normally spend on dinner when I'm cooking at home. Sometimes it's hard to justify. But darn it, now I want it. 

Apple and MissSunShine, I'm still waiting on my W2 too! We always get them on the last possible day that is legally allowed. I think today is the last day, but I have a slight feeling we're gonna hear some excuse and get them tomorrow. Not like it'd matter that much, we'd probably just start trying to do our taxes this weekend. But it's just annoying. 

Pickle and Swag, where are you rubber stamps from that you used for your address? I was looking at buying one and then cheaped out to buy vista print return address labels instead. But I think I'd still really like one for the future. 

ETA - forgot some words. proof reading fail.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:037e69db-ba3b-44f4-abe2-bbc3c6cea69a">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday : Yes I do. No we actually had Two big storms last year. thats it. This year we have had a lot more snow. This week its been three days of it, I could actually see stars last night. it was so nice. I swear one day it can be 40 degrees then the next its -2 and snowing like crazy.
    Posted by applejambutter[/QUOTE]

When I think of Utah, I think of mountains and the ski resorts.  Our winter here in Chicago has been strange too.  Almost 70 deg two days ago and now back down to zero.
  • I think I'd like to try snowboarding, but there's nowhere here to rent the equipment, and I hate to buy it all, and end up not using it after I do a giant face-plant and break some part of me that I need for real life ...

We're under a freezing rain warning now, so it's going to be a messy drive home. Ugh. I hate icy conditions, and tonight and tomorrow are going to be bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jenny, you'd definitely want to rent equipment for the first couple times at least. I think the first few times, my friend and I rented from the ski resort we were at to make sure we liked it. Then we decided to rent our equipment for the whole season from a ski/snowboard shop. After about 2 years of doing that I bought my own board, bindings, and boots. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, that's what I did with cross country skiing until I fell in love with it. I don't know how I'd do moving down a hill quickly, strapped to a board...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Morning all!  Another busy day at work.  Blah.

I'm afraid to try skiing or snowboarding.  Aside from the fact that the cold makes me miserable, I'm also accident prone.  I'm pretty sure I'd end up breaking an arm or leg my first trip down the mountain!

H and I have to make an appt to have our taxes done.  We each used to do it via TurboTax in the past, but since we just bought a house and we're filing jointly this time, we thought an accountant would be our best bet.

It's super windy here today and the wind was so awful last night, I thought the windows would blow in.  That being said, I didn't sleep much.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:3cdd7a7e-2769-4736-823d-589317108221">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I'd like to try snowboarding, but there's nowhere here to rent the equipment, and I hate to buy it all, and end up not using it after I do a giant face-plant and break some part of me that I need for real life ... <strong>We're under a freezing rain warning now, so it's going to be a messy drive home. Ugh. I hate icy conditions, and tonight and tomorrow are going to be bad.</strong>
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

Oh god we had that last week! it was horrible! I had to have my defrost on full blast just to keep up with it.
  • Our weather is crazy here too. FI saw an 8 car accident at the bottom of a hill on his way home this morning, crazy black ice! The wind is killing me, someone's garbage bin blew straight down a side street and out in front of me, luckily I could swerve around it.

My last tax form to come in is always from the university. Its a major pain in the butt, but its a write off so we need to wait.

• Is anyone else finding that people are just nuts this last week and a half? I'm losing my mind with dealing with clients freaking out. I may just need to find an internet based job and hide at home, instead of dealing with high maintenance people. My job would be so much easier if children didn't have parents.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:d8bed7dd-27da-4611-91b4-15e4e708eecd">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Is anyone else finding that people are just nuts this last week and a half?</strong> I'm losing my mind with dealing with clients freaking out. I may just need to find an internet based job and hide at home, instead of dealing with high maintenance people. My job would be so much easier if children didn't have parents.
    Posted by Angelface225[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes!!!  This is why work has been so crazy for me the past few days.  The weekend can't come soon enough!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:e1e0f498-f112-4892-89ea-43a7c02733ea">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday : Yes!!!  This is why work has been so crazy for me the past few days.  The weekend can't come soon enough!
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

I felt like this last week too. And I really thought this week HAD to be better, alas no! Erg!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thursday-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3776774-74e3-4d52-ad2e-bceb7ccee51bPost:383727a6-539c-44ec-b4d3-30912b5fdd17">Re: Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Morning all!  Another busy day at work.  Blah. I'm afraid to try skiing or snowboarding.  Aside from the fact that the cold makes me miserable, I'm also accident prone.  I'm pretty sure I'd end up breaking an arm or leg my first trip down the mountain! <strong>H and I have to make an appt to have our taxes done.  We each used to do it via TurboTax in the past, but since we just bought a house and we're filing jointly this time, we thought an accountant would be our best bet. </strong>It's super windy here today and the wind was so awful last night, I thought the windows would blow in.  That being said, I didn't sleep much.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm leaning towards using an accountant this year too because we bought our house 4 months before we were married, and then we also have to decide wether it's more beneficial to file jointly rather than separately. But H wants to try Turbo Tax first this year and see how it goes. </div><div>
    </div><div>Question, (maybe Swag can answer this) on our mortgage documents, it still says my maiden name, though I've legally changed my name to H's last name. We keep forgetting to change this. Will it be a problem doing taxes if we don't change it beforehand? </div>

• I really like skiing and snowboarding but I hate the cold. We went to Colorado last year and FI got bad altitude sickness. Poor thing he was miserable.
  • Buzz - Shouldn't be a problem. Everything goes by your SSN. And 99% of the time it's more beneficial to file jointly.
  • People ARE more crazy this week. I'm thinking it was the full moon two night ago.

and I deal with hormonal teenagers for a living. I must also be nuts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You get some serious kudos for dealing with adolescents!

• Well, our office is going to be closed tomorrow for the funeral. I'm excited for pretty much a 3 day weekend, but it still makes me really really sad for the reason. I feel guilty being even 50% excited.
  • Quick question for Swag or anyone who may have input on tax deductions...

In the past, doing taxes was always fairly simple.  I get a letter from Sallie Mae regarding my student loan interest and that's the only deduction I had.  Same deal with H.

This year, we got a letter from our mortgage company regarding that interest and we plan on taking that with us to the accountant (whenever we happen to go).  Would we also need to take any information pertaining to the purchase of our home?

I know that there are other types of deductions as well, such as charitable donations.  Am I missing anything?  I just want to make sure we have all of our paperwork in order.

• cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    YES take your settlement statement to your accountant. There may be property taxes on there that were implied in your sale that you are entitled to deduct.

ETA: Also any property tax bills you received. You may not have, though, because the seller may have paid a portion of them. Whatever the case, property tax info needs to go with you.
  • Thank you!!!  All of our property taxes are sent in to our mortgage company and paid via escrow.  Does this make a difference?  We do have copies of the bills.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards