Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

WWYD: Cake Debate and Seating Chart

Hi, all!

So I'm struggling with two things and wanted to combine them in one post.

1) FI and I aren't doing a cake with our reception, since we've picked Viva Las Cake Pops for our favors and have two desserts included with dinner.  However, I'm wondering if we'll be sad if we don't have a cake to eat on our 1st anniversary.  Would it be silly to get a 6" cake from Retro for the sole purpose of putting it in the freezer when we get home?

2) Our seating chart is a mess.  We have four tables, and probably about 32 people coming.  When I divvy everyone out in excel based on their family/friend groups, I have:

1 table of 7 people
1 table of 10 people
1 table of 13 people (five of which could be sat at the last table)
1 table of 2 people

Would it be silly to keep my tables this way, or should I try to even them out?  I could make them tables of 9, 8, 8, and 7, but I don't love the idea of splitting people up.

TIA for your input! :)

Re: WWYD: Cake Debate and Seating Chart

• Options
    were doing cake pops too as favors. Were not doing a cake either but were not the mushy type so no biggy that we wont have it on our anniversary and I'm sure we'd screw it up somehow getting it home anyway.

The restaurant were doing our reception at sets up the tables as 6 or 8 to a table so maybe u should ask them ablout arrangements and if I were the two stuck at the one table I would feel like the last kid picked for the team
  • Options

Yeah, I think it would be sort of weird to single out two people at one table, but maybe that's just me.  I'd try and divvy it up to make them a little more equal?  As long as people are sitting with other people they know I think it would be fine.  The seating chart was definitely my biggest headache!

Regarding the cake thing - we didn't save the top of our cake, so we didn't have anything to freeze.  I honestly don't have any regrets about this, although we're not really cake people to begin with.

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    1. Not silly! I think you should eat some though first. Even if it's the morning after to celebrate? Then save some for your anniversary. 2. I'm not doing a chart as we dont have formal tables but I have been to weddings where I have sat with people from other circles and made new friends that way. But I think either would be fine. Are the two people by themselves you two?
  • Options
    I should clarify... the 2 people "sitting alone" are two of our vendors, and we'd split the third table, so they'd have 5 people sitting with them.  It's just that, if I could fit 13 people at one table, I'd put FI's family all together.  I'm going to split them up.  I'm more worried about the 7-person table and the 10-person table.  I can't figure out how to split them, or if I should.

We're doing a sweetheart table.

Thanks for your feedback!  The cake thing is up in the air.  Maybe we should freeze some of our extra cake pops? :)
  • Options

I ran into the same problem when trying to do a seating chart. For the sake of my sanity and keeping everything even, we're just doing X tables of 8 and table assignments. I figure the people I would have sat together, will do so naturally, and it will encourage socialization for the few randoms. BUT - we're  not doing a formal sit-down dinner.

• Options
    I would leave the 7- and 10-person tables as is, and split the 13-person table. 

If you remember, I was struggling with cake vs. no cake.  I am going to get mini cupcakes with a 6-inch topper to cut from Retro.  I *think* I have convinced my FI that we need to do a one year anniversary trip to Vegas.  During that trip, I would order a replica of our cake topper.  So no, I do not think it is silly to order a cake just to freeze. 
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are having a cake, but I have no intention of saving the top layer for our anniversary.  I don't know why, but the idea of thawed wedding cake makes me sad.  I'd rather spend my first anniversary enjoying an amazing dessert at a nice restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards