Getting in Shape

5'3" 140 pounds- Want to lose 15 pounds in 8 months

Hi girls,

I need some help in trying to figure out how to get my body to lose weight. I quit drinking about 1 year ago and lost 10 pounds from that alone, which made me 134lbs. I didn't change my diet, actually I'm ashamed to say that I'm not the healthiest eater. Anyway, I kept at that weight for about a year until recently when I started to plan my wedding. I work out (was doing pilates and yoga- didn't gain weight) then switched to cardio and weight training, which is when I started to gain the 6 pounds. I know muscle weighs more than fat and that I may have gained because of that, but I don't feel any better internally and my clothes dont fit as nicely. I want to look hot for my destination wedding and hope that I can lose weight or inches before then. Also, I try to stay away from processed foods but am also lazy when it comes to the kitchen. Any suggestions?

Re: 5'3" 140 pounds- Want to lose 15 pounds in 8 months

• I'm 5'6" and p90x helped me lose about 10 pounds to get me from 140 to 130.  But, keep doing yoga!  Yoga helps you want to naturally feel good in your body, and I've found that translates into wanting to put good things into my body, healthy clean food.  

I wouldn't get too set on losing a specific amount of weight.  15 pounds off a 5'3" frame could be too much.  
  • Well... if you want to lose weight, you're going to need to change your diet.  You can't continue to eat poorly (all those extra calories!) and expect your body to burn it off "somehow."

Start tracking your calories by using MyPlate or SparkPeople.  Use their programs (type in height, weight, etc) and get an accurate calorie count for what you should be eating every day.  Be HONEST about your daily activity level.  "Moderate" means that you move around a bit at work and walk at least 3 - 5 miles a week outside of exercise.

Be HONEST about exactly how much is going in your mouth and fill it in.  Very quickly you'll get an idea how much food you should be eating and what you should be eating if you're hungry.  You can even drink alcohol again because you can plan for it.

I know it's not the most glamorous way, but it will work.  Weigh yourself and measure your inches to track your progress.  It works!  Good luck!
  • You can't out train a bad diet.  Period.  No matter how much you workout and exercise, if you're eating crap you won't lose weight.

Joys advice about counting calories is good.  I would also suggest that you stop focusing on the number on the scale so much.  Start tracking your measurements.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I have found that the "Subway Diet" works really well for me since I don't like cooking either.

I have a bowl of whole wheat organic wheaties (Kashi brand) with fat free milk for breakfast at around 6:00 to 6:30

1  16oz cup of coffee, no sugar at around 8:00 to 8:30

10-15 baby carrots at around 10:00 to 10:30

a 6in sub from subway (only off their under 6g of fat menu) with tons of veggies, no mayo and a little bit of mustard at around 12:00 to 12:30

10-15 raw almonds at around 2:30 to 3:00 

one serving of greek yogurt with fruit at 4:30 to 5:00

Work out at 5:30 to 6:00 for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (switching days between weight training and cardio)

Spinach Salad from Subway with tons of veggies and just a little Red Wine Vinegarette Dressing at around 7:30 ish

then nothing else that day (besides water) I drink water all day...about 6-7 bottles a day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards