Not Engaged Yet

Pottermore: wands

I was so excited to answer the questions at Ollivander's Wand Shop to find my wand... honestly this was the part I was most excited about. So my wand is....

Redwood, Phoenix feather core, Brittle

Now, anyone know what the type of wand you have says about you?
And what type of wand did you get?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Pottermore: wands

• lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012

Red Oak with Dragon Core, Thirteen and a Quarter Inches. Slightly Yielding.

Oak is a potent magical wood and adds potency to all charms, particularly health and money charms. The Oak is the tree of endurance and triumph, and tends to choose those who are strong not only physically or mentally, but also emotionally as well. The Oak is a male wood, so the female bearer may be more masculine than her peers. Oaks also stands for endurance, triumph, strength, power, dominion, prosperity, sacrifice, guardian and liberator and symbolizes wisdom, strength, and endurance. These wands excel in spells involving strengthening charms or wisdom seeking, as well as being good for Transfiguration work.

Wands with Dragon Heartstring cores are excellent for hexes, or for dueling, not to mention fire magic. They tend to choose a witch or wizard who is strong not only physically, but also emotionally, and who usually has very strong opinions on things, though they often tend to be strong willed and thickheaded as well.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Mine was a phoenix 14 inch too but i dontnremember the specifics so ill post them later on

• My wand is 10 1/2 inches, slightly springy, Holly with a Unicorn Hair core.

Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing. Holly is one of the rarer kinds of wand woods; traditionally considered protective, it works most happily for those who may need help overcoming a tendency to anger and impetuosity. At the same time, holly wands often choose owners who are engaged in some dangerous and often spiritual quest. Holly is one of those woods that varies most dramatically in performance depending on the wand core, and it is a notoriously difficult wood to team with phoenix feather, as the wood's volatility conflicts strangely with the phoenix's detachment. In the unusual event of such a pairing finding its ideal match, however, nothing and nobody should stand in their way.
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Lunar/Battletoads - Where did you find that out?

Mine is 11 inches Cherry with a unicorn hair core and is quite flexible.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:747ab932-305f-4d31-b5e1-ddae3981a612">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lunar/Battletoads - Where did you find that out? Mine is 11 inches Cherry with a unicorn hair core and is quite flexible.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>after you get your wand, it sends to you the "chapter finished" page and it has a few links at the top about want cores and wand woods. If you cant find them, heres a link  :)</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.pottermore.com/en/book1/chapter5/moment4/wand-cores" rel="nofollow">http://www.pottermore.com/en/book1/chapter5/moment4/wand-cores</a></div><div><a href="http://www.pottermore.com/en/book1/chapter5/moment4/wand-woods" rel="nofollow">http://www.pottermore.com/en/book1/chapter5/moment4/wand-woods</a></div>
  • Yeah, I'd like to know too!
  • Awesome Battletoads... thanks for the info. 
  • Thanks Battletoad. I found it. So here is what my wand says:

Unicorn Hair Core:

Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.

Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing.

Cherry:

This very rare wand wood creates a wand of strange power, most highly prized by the wizarding students of the school of Mahoutokoro in Japan, where those who own cherry wands have special prestige. The Western wand-purchaser should dispel from their minds any notion that the pink blossom of the living tree makes for a frivolous or merely ornamental wand, for cherry wood often makes a wand that possesses truly lethal power, whatever the core, but if teamed with dragon heartstring, the wand ought never to be teamed with a wizard without exceptional self-control and strength of mind.

• Mine is 10 inches, Holly with Unicorn hair core. Flexible.

:D Going back to HP world is going to be so much cooler! I may have to wait in line at Ollivanders this time...
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Beth, that wood sounds really powerful. Do you like your wand?

This is what mine says:

Phoenix feather core:
    This is the rarest core type. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike.

Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached from the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won. 

Redwood:
    Wand-quality redwood is in short supply, yet constant demand, due to its reputation for bringing good fortune to its owner. As is usually the case with wandlore, the general populace have the truth back to front: redwood wands are not themselves lucky, but are strongly attracted to witches and wizards who already possess the admirable ability to fall on their feet, to make the right choice, to snatch advantage from catastrophe. The combination of such a witch or wizard with a redwood wand is always intriguing, and I generally expect to hear of exciting exploits when I send this special pairing out from my workshop. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:d96e1495-e0e6-4374-ba00-4a4c4199fa02">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beth, that wood sounds really powerful. Do you like your wand?
    Posted by mymissingpuzzlepiece[/QUOTE]

I love my wand!

• I seem to have a really long wand...wonder what that means.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:214e7d5f-919c-4a43-b448-45c4c87cb725">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]I seem to have a really long wand...wonder what that means.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

<div>Mine is 12 1/4 inches... That's pretty long too. Are you tall for your age?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:fbd48a6d-0761-4b15-91ff-59f8145fe9f7">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine is 10 inches, Holly with Unicorn hair core. Flexible. :D Going back to HP world is going to be so much cooler! I may have to wait in line at Ollivanders this time...
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>Im super curious, how do you go about getting a wand at HP world? do they ask you questions or just give you whichever one you want?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:214e7d5f-919c-4a43-b448-45c4c87cb725">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]I seem to have a really long wand...wonder what that means.

There is a section about what length and flexibility mean. It said anywhere between 9 - 15 was normal.

• Someone could make a killing with a totally custom wand shop at Etsy.

• audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:2070027c-e01e-4cf3-9f11-87f585654121">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone could make a killing with a totally custom wand shop at Etsy.

<div>At Ollivanders, it was a 2 hr wait to get in to buy your wand. I thought it was lame when I went in December but now I'm all ZOMG I WANT TO GO BUY MY WAND!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: In WWoHP, that is. </div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:2070027c-e01e-4cf3-9f11-87f585654121">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone could make a killing with a totally custom wand shop at Etsy.

I'm pretty sure I saw an etsy shop that does.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:2cb444d8-5645-4b02-b7a5-332c36a07ecd">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pottermore: wands : At Ollivanders, it was a 2 hr wait to get in to buy your wand. I thought it was lame when I went in December but now I'm all ZOMG I WANT TO GO BUY MY WAND! ETA: In WWoHP, that is. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

How does Ollivanders work in WWoHP?
  • Mine is

Length:12 1/2 inWood:Black WalnutCore:DragonFlexibility:Hard

Where do I find the info on the wand characteristics? Do I have to go back to Ollivander's?

• 13 inch phoenix feather core fir wood unbending :)

Phoenix

This is the rarest core type. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike.

Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won.

Fir

My august grandfather, Gerbold Octavius Ollivander, always called wands of this wood ‘the survivor’s wand,’ because he had sold it to three wizards who subsequently passed through mortal peril unscathed. There is no doubt that this wood, coming as it does from the most resilient of trees, produces wands that demand staying power and strength of purpose in their true owners, and that they are poor tools in the hands of the changeable and indecisive. Fir wands are particularly suited to Transfiguration, and favour owners of focused, strong-minded and, occasionally, intimidating demeanour.

• ooo nvm, I know what it is lol.... hey Beth, where do you find the other characteristics of the wand? Like what flexibility and length mean?
  • It was in the same place as the characteristics of the wood and core. It doesn't give specific information though just sort of a general overview.

• Wand: Pear with Phoenix Feather Core, 12 3/4 inches long. Surprisingly Swishy.

Pear:
    This golden-toned wood produces wands of splendid magical powers, which give of their best in the hands of the warm-hearted, the generous and the wise. Possessors of pear wands are, in my experience, usually popular and well-respected. I do not know of a single instance where a pear wand has been discovered in the possession of a Dark witch or wizard. Pear wands are among the most resilient, and I have often observed that they may still present a remarkable appearance of newness, even after many years of hard use.

Phoenix Core:

Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:c67ddf1b-7b09-4a16-b03d-1b931da4859f">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wand: Pear with Phoenix Feather Core, 12 3/4 inches long. Surprisingly Swishy. Pear: This golden-toned wood produces wands of splendid magical powers, which give of their best in the hands of the warm-hearted, the generous and the wise. Possessors of pear wands are, in my experience, usually popular and well-respected. I do not know of a single instance where a pear wand has been discovered in the possession of a Dark witch or wizard. Pear wands are among the most resilient, and I have often observed that they may still present a remarkable appearance of newness, even after many years of hard use. Phoenix Core: This is the rarest core type. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike. Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won.
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hey Phoenix Feather twin! lol So are you Harry or Voldemort? 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:d6170221-fd52-4403-b98d-3755f35ed967">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pottermore: wands : Hey Phoenix Feather twin! lol So are you Harry or Voldemort? <div>
    </div><div>Edit: I just saw you are in Slytherin so maybe I'm Harry... :O

</div>
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pottermore-wands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:01125cb2-dbdb-45fe-81d5-b9629bc8ddb8Post:d6170221-fd52-4403-b98d-3755f35ed967">Re: Pottermore: wands</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pottermore: wands : Hey Phoenix Feather twin! lol So are you Harry or Voldemort? 

Yeah I'm in Slytherin. I've come to terms with that. I guess I'm more Voldmort... but hey, my wand is Pear, so I can't be all that evil! And hey, I'm popular too!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wand is 11 1/2 inch sycamore wand with dragon core, reasonably supple.  

Sycamore

The sycamore makes a questing wand, eager for new experience and losing brilliance if engaged in mundane activities. It is a quirk of these handsome wands that they may combust if allowed to become ‘bored,’ and many witches and wizards, settling down into middle age, are disconcerted to find their trusty wand bursting into flame in their hand as they ask it, one more time, to fetch their slippers. As may be deduced, the sycamore’s ideal owner is curious, vital and adventurous, and when paired with such an owner, it demonstrates a capacity to learn and adapt that earns it a rightful place among the world's most highly-prized wand woods.

Dragon

As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner.

The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

So I have an eager to learn wand that could be quite powerful, but gets bored with mundane tasks.  Pretty fitting, really! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards