Favors
Options

Hotel Guest Bags- Are they expected?

Do guests expect a treat in their rooms? It's becoming so common that I'm worried it'll look tacky if I don't do it but we're trying to cut costs where we can.

We are already doing a really nice dinner and open bar, edible favors with 4 different treats and we are covering the liquor package for our afterparty. I feel like we are doing more than enough but just want to make sure.
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: Hotel Guest Bags- Are they expected?

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In very recent years I have gone to two out of town weddings.  The first of the two was the first time I had ever seen/heard of OOT bags.  They were done very simply.  They contained homemade cookies made (seriously) in the shape of the two states the couple were from (and, yes, you can find cutters on line for this).  It contained two bottles of soda bottled in a region the groom was from, and a snack that represented the state the bride was from.  There was a note that highlighted local restaurants that were known for making the foods favored by the bride and groom.  It was more of a "get to know the bride and groom/welcome" bag.  I thought it was a simple, sweet touch.

The second wedding, which we attended in December, opted to not do OOT bags.  They were neither missed, nor "talked about" (as in, "Can you believe there were no OOT bags?). 

My guess is that, in some instances, this new "fad" has not caught up to many people, and thus, is not expected, as it has yet to be experienced. It's only "common" if you have a lot of guests that attend lots of OOT weddings.  And, if guests have attended weddings in which an OOT bag was available, no one thought twice if it was not provided.  We were so swept up in the excitement of the wedding and seeing family, it honestly didn't even dawn on us that no OOT bag was made.

Your wedding sounds lovely, generous, and thoughtful.  Pass on any details that seem unnecessary, add stress, extra cost, or work.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did them but I agree with the PP that no one will miss them if you don't.  I think they are a nice touch if you have the budget for them but otherwise, it's not something to worry about.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Since meeting my fiance we have attended 3 weddings out of town, 2 for his family, one for mine. We got OOT bags at all 3, but honestly, we are not doing them. We are paying for everything ourselves and while it may seem selfish, if I were going to spend that money (since we have a LOT of OOT guests), I'd rather do it on musicians for my ceremony, which is still a bit beyond our budget.

Having said that, if you have OOT guests who have never been to your area, it might be nice to make a packet for them of maps, some things to do, etc. But for close family and friends who know the area because they have been there several times, I'm not sure it's poor etiquette to not do something.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have been to 2 out of town weddings recently and they both did it but honestly we didn't really have time to use anything. We took it home and put it in the pantry and used the snacks and bottled water as part of our daily lives. And the maps and stuff to do got trashed.

Think about the timeline of an out of town wedding. If you get there Friday night most times you are invited to a dinner hosted by the grooms family. You get up the next day have breakfast, most likely in the hotel, and get ready to go to the wedding. Both of these weddings provided a shuttle (so we didn't even need the map). Got back from the wedding went to sleep, got up the next morning had breakfast in the hotel again and go home. I have never had time to sight see or anything like that.

I wouldn't sweat it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've only been to one OOT wedding this year and they didn't have bags. 

• Options
    kgorman307kgorman307 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't expect them when I go to an OOT wedding. In fact, I've only been to one that had them & don't miss them when they're not there.

We're doing them, but it's because everyone traveling for the wedding is traveling a long distance (destination wedding) and no one will know the area. I'm not going overboard on the snacks/gifts.  If your hotel has a gift shop with snacks and drinks, I don't think they'll be missing a bottle of water or bag of chips in their hotel room from you. If you want to, you could always leave a welcome letter at the front desk to pass out to guests as they arrive. You can print them at home & it is a nice way to thank your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! You made me feel better. We don't have a lot of actual guest so I think it won't be missed. Those OOT guests are either family that visit often anyway or close friends who are originally from Chicago. I'm just starting to second guess my choices a lot right now.

I do love kgorman's idea for leaving a welcome letter! I think that's super sweet and I hadn't even thought of doing that and asking the front desk to give them out. I think that's the route we'll go!
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a nice gesture, but not needed. I don't think people will think your tacky if you do not have them
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I was having a DW I would try to make them for my guests. I don't think we're having too many OOT guests, and we don't really have the budget to do it. It's a nice touch though.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    asialee2asialee2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    EVERYONE at our wedding will be OOT'ers, but 85% will only be traveling an hour away. I think we are going to put a little welcome message with a list of things to do, great restaurants and an open invite for everyone to join us the day after to do the channel with us the next day, (the river hat runs thru the city doubles as a float in the summer... major attraction and a great way to spend a day!)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sierratolbertsierratolbert member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they're almost essential if guests are coming from far away and aren't familiar with the city the wedding is in.  You want to make sure they feel appreciated for traveling just for you.  Get creative!  They don't have to be extravagant.  I love the homemade cookie idea, and if your guest list isn't huge, include a hand-written note.  Of my 100 guests, 78 of them are coming to Chicago from mostly TX, NY, Canada, New Orleans, & GA so we're doing a bag with things that are specific to Chicago, a public transportation map, a hand-written note, and our homemade guide to the city.
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP - I am going through the same dilemma. I would love to do this, but it's just really not in my budget. What I'm probably going to do instead of a full blown bag is that I"ll bake cookies and put them in cellophane bags. I will somehow include information and maps of the area, either in the bag or attached. This is going to be very low-budget for me. Unfortunately, these have become standard for all the weddings I've attended so I think it would be a faux pas in my social circle. I think you should consider your guests - you know them best. If you don't think it's necessary, they probably don't either and nobody's going to be upset. :) I'm sure it'll be fine if you don't do them.

Cheers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are a nice touch but if they simply aren't in the budget I wouldn't bother trying to cut other things just to get them.
  • Options
    grizzgurlgrizzgurl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

this has already been said a lot but I think putting together cute bags with a bottle of water (so they don't pay the huge price of hotel water when thirsty after a flight) a map of the area and things to do.  Talk with the hotels that you suggested to your guests, they can tell you some things that are in walking distance.  My wedding will be in Portland - I'm planning to give certificates to VooDoo Donut - the place has been featured on the food channel and I'm sure people will be laughing about their doughnut shop experience for a while.  :-)

KBLuv
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like this idea but for my daughters wedding the hotels want to charge us a $3/bag fee to do this. So I think we may be skipping this. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards