Ohio-Cincinnati

3.5 week to lose weight

Working out every day is an obvious must but I have trouble controlling my appetite. Any healthy snacks and meals that you all love? I'm deperate! 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: 3.5 week to lose weight

• edited December 2011

I would back off the exercise and closely manage your diet.  Exercising can make you hungrier, thus making it harder to make good choices with your diet.  Calories in/calories out has been proven time and time again that it doesn't exactly work that way.  Exercise is great for keeping healthy, but for weight loss it's not the magic ticket.  It's what you put in your mouth.

I would shift to a higher protein, lower carb diet.  This will  keep  you fuller longer, and reduce your insulin levels (which will help you lose fat, as well as water weight).

For example:
    Day 1
    Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs
    Snack - Greek yogurt
    Lunch - Grilled chicken and a side salad.
    Snack - handful of almonds
    Dinner - Fish (non battered) with a non-starchy veggie such as broccoli, green beans, asparagus etc. 
    Stay far far away from white breads and potatoes.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I work in the medical field, and the one thing that I can tell you is that 3.5 weeks is not enough time to make a significant weight loss.  Crash dieting at this point will only stress you out and make you feel "not like yourself" on the big day.  However, it's never too late to start eating well-balanced meals and avoiding snacks that are high in calories.  Just relax and try to enjoy these last weeks of wedding planning -- regardless of weight, your future hubby will find you beautiful on the Big Day. :)
  • andrearae0620andrearae0620 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey there! not a crash diet but how about a detox? i wouldn't do it like the day or two before but i would the week before or something - helps with bloating. an all veggie and fruit cleanse or a juice fast. google it. hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Most physicians would strongly warn AGAINST a detox... it is extremely unhealthy and often leads to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), cravings, and often makes people irritable while they are doing it (which you won't want before your wedding).  Seriously ladies, just accept yourself for who you are (like your fiance already has!) and keep a well-balanced diet for the last few weeks leading up to your wedding.  Building up your self-esteem before the wedding day will go A LOT farther than trying shed 2 pounds that no one will notice at the wedding reception.
  • Sugarbear86Sugarbear86 member
    edited December 2011
    Juice.  Plain and simple.  Juice carrots and apples..the portion of juice will fill you up more than a plate of fries and a cheeseburger.  Juice all types of vegtables.  I guarantee you will shed mass fat within your duration.  Fiance and I have been juicing for a while now and we both feel healthy and energized, we didn't want to join a gym or anything.  Stay away from fast food and I cannot stress enough to juice your meals.
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    edited December 2011
    Eat 5 small meals a day. If you're hungry in between then drink water!
  • hcohen0222hcohen0222 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Low carb is your best friend!  Lots of lean meats and non starchy veggies, as HRP22 said!  It will keep you full longer, because of all the protein.  My typical breakfast is one egg, and one egg white scrambled, with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, and sometimes a small piece of ham; I eat that at 8 am, and I'm full until noon, sometimes 1.  Make sure you eat breakfast!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    186 invitedimage 153 are ready to party!image 33 are missing outimage
    RSVP date September 28
  • AllSonrisasAllSonrisas member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! Julia it's not about how he sees me, it's how I see myself. Also, my dress is a little tight. I want to fit it a bit better. I hate the taste of eggs and seafood both make me nauseas.. but I will find alternatives. Thank you!
  • kmorgan28kmorgan28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it's about eating the right stuff and excersising as often as you can.  I'm in the same boat, about 3 weeks 'till the wedding.  I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight, maybe just a couple llbs... but it's not even really about that.  I've been eating healthier and already feel better!  So just trying to maintain a balanced diet (I know it's hard!!) is really key.

I've switched to the Special K protein shakes in the morning.. and sometimes I eat a meal bar.  But I've found that lasts me through most of the morning.  But I do snack a lot!  I suggest snacks like:
    - carrots
    -bananas/grapes
    -celery and peanut butter (my favorite right now!!)
    -mixed nuts
    -wheat thins
    -yogurt

I'm not as athletic as I use to be, but I still have a pretty fast metabolism... so these snacks get me through the day!  Then for dinner, I try to cut back on bread.  I know some people cut it out all together, but I"m a believer of everything in moderation. (plus I love bread too much to give it up :)  So I try and limit my bread intake to small portions, esp. at night.  If i'm going to have bread, I try to eat it in the morning with some protein since it's the most important meal of the day!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Do you like devilled eggs?  I know I get sick of scrambled and all of that but I like them devilled and can eat a couple for breakfast and be set until 1 or 2 without snacks.

Also, chicken is a good friend.  Just don't do breaded chicken.

Pork is also a good choice if you don't like fish.  I like to grill a tenderloin and I do pork chops all the time.

I would stay away from grapes and bananas for now as the prior posted those as good snacks.  They have a really high glycemic value, which means your body will convert them into sugar way too quickly, spiking your blood sugar levels.  Higher blood sugar = higher insulin = weight retention.
    The lower your insulin levels are, the higher chance of you loosing weight.  If you eat pretty crappy already, then you may see a quick few lbs gone due to water weight if you eat low glycemic foods only. 
    Insulin is so important to weight loss and people don't understand that.  This is why people with type 1 diabetes get so skinny all of a sudden.  It's because their bodies aren't making insulin.  So, your goal should be to reduce insulin as much as possible by eating a low glycemic diet. 

Other items that are low glycemic:
    Grapefruit
    Chicken
    Pork
    (any meat is low glycemic, but you do want to watch your calories to a point, so I'd stay away from higher fat meats for now)
    Cheese
    Lettuces
    Green Peppers
    Onions
    Asparagus
    Green Beans
    Cucumbers (great snack)
    Cherries
    Broccoli
    Califlower
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Celery
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think in 3 and 1/2 weeks the best thing to do is focus on water weight and bloating. try to stay away from salty/high sodium foods like tomato sauce, ketchup, red meat, etc and also, try to stay away from over-the-counter medicine because that causes facial bloating. I bet you could shed a decent amount by being really conscious of that. Remember to drink lots of water and stay away from diet drinks and low fat and fat free versions of things because all of those are proven to increase cravings. Last thing, always sit down when you eat and try and space out bites so youll fill up without eating as much- anything with high fructose corn syrup is also something to stay away from! It doesnt react in the body the same way nomal table sugar (sucrose) does, it cannot alert your body the same way so it craves more sugar and cravings sky rocket. 
    That is the true season of love when we believe that we alone can love, that no one could have ever loved as much before, and that no one will ever love in the same way again
    edited December 2011
    Thank you thank you! :) You ladies are awesome!
  • airair44airair44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exercise is still an important component to losing weight.  Even if it does make you hungry, if you make good choices then it is definitely beneficial to be working out.  It also does wonders for your metabolism. Muscle burns more than fat!  You may gain weight in muscle mass but you will lose inches and be toned.  It is true that diet is the key to weight loss but exercise is very important as well, especially if you want to be toned.

Fad diets dont work, it comes down to eating healthy, plain and simple.  You need to expend more calories than taking in in order to lose weight.  So fruits, vegetables, lean meats,low fat/fat free dairy and water! Also, things high in fiber will help you feel full.  Fiber one bars are great once in awhile and can satisfy a sweet tooth while still being fairly healthy.  I would stay away from things like peanut butter which may seem healthy but is loaded with calories, fat, and sugar.  Also, someone suggested deviled eggs which i am pretty sure is made with mayonaise so that may not be a good choice. One of my favorite diet snacks- raw vegetables with ranch dip made from fat free sour cream and a hidden valley pack of ranch mix. Only 20 cals in the dip for i think 2 tbsp. Good luck!!
    edited December 2011
    :) I actually have fresh broccoli, a packet of ranch, and sour cream in the fridge! Yum
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards