Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Nepalese bride, US groom. "Just the two" wedding. Mom of groom. HELP!

This is a complicated question. But maybe very simple answers out there.
My son just announced his engagement to his Nepalese girlfriend.
They are to be married in 3 1/2 WEEKS!
She has no family in the US, and her parents have tried unsuccessfully for 5 years to get a visa to visit- they are from Nepal also. Therefore if they had a big wedding, there would be tons of his family/friends- no one for her. So they have decided to marry
just the two of them. They hope next year her parents would be able to come to the US and they'd have a reception. (personally I think this is never going to happen-too hard to get a visit visa.)

My questions are:
1) They have very little. I'd like to be able to announce their wedding.
And at the same time give notice of where they would register. Is it is appropriate for them to register, even tho they are not having a traditional wedding?

2) if I were to send an announcement how do you state where they are registered?

3) Is this just all wrong? Do I NOT send an announcement, not ask for/expect gifts for them/forget about encouraging them to register?
The bride speaks decent English, but she has no idea of traditions in this country. In Nepal they give land and money to newlyweds. She is relying on me to help her with all this.

Thanks for any ideas...I need them FAST!!!   :)

Re: Nepalese bride, US groom. "Just the two" wedding. Mom of groom. HELP!

• Options
    Thanks once again.
    We have a lovely announcement chosen on Shutterfly, they'll spend the next few nights at Macy's and B,B&B, get married, go to Maui and hopefully live happily ever after.

I can see the debate as to whether or not to put registry info on an invite or announcement. As a grandmother it's the first thing I want to know when I get a wedding invitation or announcement. But can see now how tacky it comes across to some. Glad I asked! Thanks for everyone's help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards