South Asian Weddings
Options

Addressing Invitations?

I know etiquette for American weddings says to send a separate invitation for every adult/family living in a house, but I'm not sure of the protocol for Indian families.  Parts of FI's family have three generations in one house. Great-grandmother, uncle & aunt, and two cousins & their wives in New York, and grandmother, aunt, and one uncle & aunt & their two kids in New Jersey. Do we send a separate invitation for every family living in the same home or do we send one invitation per household?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Addressing Invitations?

• Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know I have been wondering about the same question, I would like to hear the answer for this one too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've been wondering the same thing. My family decided we're going to send one per household, unless the kids were married (very Indian of us!). If the kids were married and we wanted to explicitly invite them, then they'll get a separate invitation. If anyone knows what etiquette states for Indians in the US, I'd appreciate it as well!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did one per household and it worked out fine!  
  • Options
    kabrown13kabrown13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL advised us to send an invitation to the elders for sure, even if they are living with their children who have families of their own, because of the respect thing.  Then, anyone who completed had their education would receive their own invitaion.  Thus, there are some instances where we are sending three invitations to the same address.  It seems strange, but this is what my Indian FMIL requested. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards