South Asian Weddings

Do you celebreate Christmas & Thanksgiving?

Hey Ladies

Quick Poll...just wondering what the SA knotties do for these events :)

Re: Do you celebreate Christmas & Thanksgiving?

• edited December 2011

Our family is super Catholic as some call us. We have church, prayers, programs and the whole thing during this time of the year! I love it!!!!

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't celebrate in the traditional sense, but for christmas FI and I would exchange gifts or something, sometimes friends are having thanksgiving dinner or Christmas event and those are about it. I would just be glad if we are together rather than shipping gifts to one another. 
  • edited December 2011
    Having come from a Christian white family... we do both. And FI does both, but not for religous reasons. Thanksgiving for the food, and Chrismas for the gifts (he even calls it Present Day... *sigh*), and both for the time spent with family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

My family and my FI's family are both Catholic, so we celebrate them both in the religious and cultural sense. We've got a lot of family, so the holidays are a lot of fun! :)

• MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family has celebrated both as well...but more for the cultural aspects of the holidays....

But thsi is the first year the hubz and are exchanging gifts...we didn't last year b/c he had never done it before...and I figured we should ease into it...

Any good gift giving ideas for your man?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it is for everyone regardless of religion or national origin.  Everyone can find something to be thankful for. :)
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, family-wise, we have a bigger veggie dinner on Thanksgiving, and we open gifts on Christmas.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Both, but I'm the white half of this masala couple.

Thanksgiving is very traditional in my parents' home: Detroit Lions football, turkey and all the sides, four kinds of pie.  I'm not going to lie, having Indian vegetarian food for Thanksgiving is a little bit hard for me.

FI's family does a big, noisy Christmas celebration with a focus on food and presents and spending time together (no religion).  My family does a quiet, small Christmas celebration with a focus on food and presents and spending time together (very little religion, although my mom does like to add a spiritual touch).

FI and I haven't yet worked out our own Christmas traditions.  We're going to do a tree for the first time this year, and I'd like to do champagne and a gift exchange before we go up to his parents' house to celebrate.  Santa Claus will be the big sticking point when we have kids.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My family celebrates both, more so from the cultural aspects than the religious. This year we are faced with the decision on where to spend the holidays. I am not looking forward to that, hah!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the notion of a Masala couple :-)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011

My family does both, his family does neither, but some do tak advantage of the longer Thanksgiving weekend.

This year I'm going to be home alone for Thanksgiving. Not entirely alone, Cinnamon the Magic Cat will be with me. I have mixed feelings about it. I like being home sans FI.... eat foods he doesn't like to eat, do whatever I wants that he doesn't want to do, and Cinnamon gets to sleep in the bed! However, it is a holiday and I'm going to be alone... I'm lookin' into volunteer options.

As for Christmas, we've been putting up a tree. He was shocked in '08 when he came home after a trip to India to find a Christmas tree. That was a first for him. I made him special ornaments that year... a bear with his name on it and a Christmas Ghost (because he thought we were in need of one).

Last year we had a small Ganesh ornament which we used for the tree topper. I've been trying to find appropriate ornaments that are reflective of FI's Indian/Hindu roots... that don't look dumb/cheesy. I would like a tree reflective of both of us. Hopefully, we can continue to evolve the tree.
    Smile

This year I'm going to Tucson for Christmas. We haven't quite figured out if FI is going.... but we need to get this settled soon. Gotta buy tickets!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards