Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Father & Daughter Dance

I don't know that this would be the right board to post this question on.  My question is, I need ideas for the father/daughter dance.  My dad is in a wheelchair and can not move from his neck down.  I don't want to skip it, I want to do something for him though.  I have thought about sitting on his lap but that wouldn't work. Any ideas would really help!!

Re: Father & Daughter Dance

• My fathers been handicapped for years also. The Father/Daughter dance has always been hard for me to watch at wedding receptions (...emotionally...) so we are just going to skip it.
    We might also skip the "formal" Mother/Son dance to help make the lack of Father/Daughter dance less obvious (FI's suggestion). I'm sure he will dance with her at some point during the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:461509ed-d524-433b-b7c2-b0cae98f2ff1Post:6adcd2a2-46c3-4ae9-902b-7b1dcb67dd8e">Father & Daughter Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know that this would be the right board to post this question on.  My question is, I need ideas for the father/daughter dance.  My dad is in a wheelchair and can not move from his neck down.  I don't want to skip it,<strong> I want to do something for him though. </strong> I have thought about sitting on his lap but that wouldn't work. Any ideas would really help!!
    Posted by lala0265[/QUOTE]

Have you talked to him about this?  It may be far more important to you than it is for him?  No offense.  I would ask him what he wants to do.  Maybe he has a great idea for a new father/daughter tradition?  Or maybe he wants to skip this whole spotlight moment entirely.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agreed - I know my father would love to do the dance but there is just no way :(
    To even attempt it or call it out would be too emotional for us and our families. The worst thing we can do is make the disability more obvious so I think in the end we'll just skip over it (it will probably reduce a lot of our stress on the situation, actually).

I would love to come up with some new idea but haven't thought of anything yet... if you have any please let me know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PORQUE VOCÊ Não treina em Uma cadeira de rodas Também ? Onde ENSAIA Algo como Duas cadeiras conforme se movimentem durante Uma melodia escolhida. Espero ter ajudado, se for viavel de se fazer. 
  • I went to a wedding where the mother of the groom had been injured and was stuck in a wheelchair, and they did the dance anyway.  The groom did a sort of graceful pulling/pushing her chair by the handles and spinning around the floor, I don't think anyone thought it was anything but sweet, so that's always an option!
  • This may be sexist, but for some reason a man pushing his mum around a bit is sort of sweet and appealing, while a bride doing it to her dad seems somewhat sad and offputting. I have absolutely no idea why, but that's my honest opinion.

I do love the idea of having the DJ dedicate a song to your dad from you that means a lot to you!
  • I would still the do the dance cause it is your special moment and if that is what you would like or even play a special song to you both and stroll across the dance floor because some wedding when the father daughter dance so does the son and mother
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards