Illinois-Chicago

Interesting Article about +1's...

Re: Interesting Article about +1's...

• edited December 2011
    Interesting!  Thanks!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to stop reading half way though. The author, I'm assuming is a man, clearly has no idea what it takes to put together a wedding. When you're the B&G you are the end all be all when it comes to your guest list. It's like having that magic wand and the only time you get to tell people what you want. Let B&G's have that!

We had some random +1's that didn't contribute jack squat to the atmosphere of the reception. So, I would have rather not have had to worry about them having a good time and getting enough food and drink at our wedding.

Maybe I'm pms-ing but this article really got under my skin. =) Cherrio!
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    It is interesting- especially the comments. I love that Aeris person.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • edited December 2011
    Sparkette, I couldn't agree more with you!!!  I knew it had to be a man writing it!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I have to admit, I've seen some pretty lousy (arbitrary) +1 exclusions.  My then-FI and I went to the wedding of a lifelong family friend.  There were over 500 people in attendance, including parents' business associates and former employers of the B/G.  I was given a +1; my early-30's older brother (who had been dating a girl for several months) was not. 

I know it's a hotly debated topic (and a highly personal decision), but I happen to agree with the writer-- +1's are a courtesy that should be extended to any adult you care enough about to invite to your celebration.  My guests are adults.  It was up to them to decide whether or not their SO was truly significant enough to bring along-- not me.  We all know how expensive weddings can be, but we also know that there are many places where costs can be cut.  Choosing to do so by cutting +1's is a personal choice (just as fresh flower arrangements are, and gowns, and photography, and videography, and music, etc.).

That said, I don't necessarily agree with his assertion that the +1's more often than not "make" the party, but for us, it was a necessary courtesy.  I felt that if I didn't care enough about my guest for him/herto bring a date, they probably didn't need to be there in the first place.  It's not everyone's choice, but it was ours.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards