African American Weddings

Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my

My fiance &  I just started our preliminary planning and cannot figure out what colors to use. Spoke to a bridal consultant at a popular bridal boutique she told me to forget about colors focus on a theme and the colors will come naturally. We figured out a theme signature drink, but still no colors. Now we're more confused than ever! 

We already know a lot of what we want, just wish we knew what colors to use. We're getting married May, 2014 which gives us plenty of time, but if I don't start now, I'm gonna end up falling behind.  

Anybody else having this problem?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my

• I have colors no theme might not do a theme
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I changed my colors maybe 4 times. 
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_colors-themes-drinksoh-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a1669764-9599-4016-90b5-867890505783Post:c8f11746-6429-487d-8251-c4c8c6530405">Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have colors no theme might not do a theme
    Posted by thedivav[/QUOTE]

Same. No theme - my colors are lemon & lavender
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_colors-themes-drinksoh-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a1669764-9599-4016-90b5-867890505783Post:d7362b0d-2c39-41ca-b15e-5227dd11a4d6">Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my</a>:
    [QUOTE]I changed my colors maybe 4 times. 
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

<div>I can't even count how many times we've changed our colors. I love green and I'm leaning towards jade, he likes royal blue. We want to stay away from purple because the last few weddings we've been to have had purple and some other color...consultant said my original idea of orange & gold wouldn't work.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm about ready to pull my hair out</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_colors-themes-drinksoh-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a1669764-9599-4016-90b5-867890505783Post:c8f11746-6429-487d-8251-c4c8c6530405">Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have colors no theme might not do a theme
    Posted by thedivav[/QUOTE]

<div>I was fine with just colors, but she told us that those days of just chosing colors are over and everybody is chosing a theme these days. I'm beginning to think she just wanted to make herself sound like she knew what she was talking about.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey!! Congrats on wedding planning. You really don't have to choose a theme. I mean you could really work Orange and Gold GREAT if you ask me...BM Orange dresses gold heels and the GM in Tan suits with orange ties..I am sure you could find a great accent color to go with Orange and gold...

HERE ARE BEACOUP weddings that are based off or orange and gold!! You chose Orange and Gold for a reason...these colors make me think of bollywood themes.....

I personally changed my colors about three times....first I had coral and turquoise, then purple and turquoise and now because of my dress I changed them to Ivory, Blush and Black!!

Good luck I hope this helps!
  • Im not having a theme either. This consultant of yours is really making you change things a bit huh? I dont see why Orange & Gold wouldnt work either. All you need is an accent color.What was her reason for stating that? My colors are Tiffany Blue & Yellow and I got the "wth" look when I tell people my colors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_colors-themes-drinksoh-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a1669764-9599-4016-90b5-867890505783Post:eb263056-c651-4537-96c7-7ff5c6c1e76b">Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my : I was fine with just colors, but she told us that those days of just chosing colors are over and everybody is chosing a theme these days. I'm beginning to think she just wanted to make herself sound like she knew what she was talking about.
    Posted by CharlieGurl[/QUOTE]

There is no one theme that fits me and him
    Our colors are purple, silver and touches of pink
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I changed the colors 56 days before wedding because I FINALLY found a dress for my firls.

IMO, when u settle on the venue, then the bm dresses, the colors file in...
    I had no theme... acutally I think football may have been my theme as that I had on NYG shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh I guess I forgot I have a theme! Lol but honestly I am using it because I fell in love with my invites and decided to plan certain details to play into the theme. It's old hollywood
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • I'm not having a theme wedding. When Fi and I started talking colors I wanted something pink, he wanted something orange and we both had agreed on Ivory. So our colors will be pink,orange and ivory,.
    What are your favorite colors? Maybe you can use those and seek different color pallets to give you idea how it looks.
  • I'm in the early planning phase as well we are getting married Sept 2013, and I've changed colors 200 times. We are having a beach wedding so I wanted aqua in there somewhere but Mister keeps bringing up how good he likes in yellow and orange, two colors I'm not to fond of so going back and forth with each other we finally came up with aqua, orange, and chocolate brown. Also theperfectpalette.com was a big help 
  • We have a theme but it is faith based so colors did to play a role. I Agee with pp, as I can see a great gold and orange wedding with brown accents....yep could be tastefully done!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_colors-themes-drinksoh-my?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a1669764-9599-4016-90b5-867890505783Post:8bb25731-9244-4c9a-b789-0b3a71050590">Re: Colors & Themes & Drinks...oh my</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im not having a theme either. This consultant of yours is really making you change things a bit huh? I dont see why Orange & Gold wouldnt work either. All you need is an accent color.What was her reason for stating that? My colors are Tiffany Blue & Yellow and I got the "wth" look when I tell people my colors.
    Posted by Toiizloved[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I had to let her go. It seemed like she wanted me to plan the wedding she wanted me to have. Her reasoning for not choosing orange and gold was that she felt the orange would make the gold seem too yellowish and some other nonsense. I'm still confused about what she said.</div><div>
    </div><div>But thanks to all of you fellow brides! We finally decided on our colors! My favorite color is green, his is blue so we're going for like a turquoise (a blend of both colors) and gold/silver (whichever one looks better) and because he's also an Army man, we're adding touches of chocolate brown here and there. It also goes with the theme that we came up with and it'll be very easy to find treats, favors in those colors :D </div><div>
    </div><div>But I did see an idea I liked about the orange & gold, but he doesn't really like the 2 together either, so this works out better. </div><div>
    </div><div>Next big task...my dress, but I'm waiting unitl like next spring for that. I've got time!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards