Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Dinner Music

I am having my reception in a museum (The Henry Ford) and am not sure what type of music to play while dinner is being served.  I have chosen to have string quartet music played in the promenade during the cocktail hour so I'm not sure if I should carry the same music into the recpetion or pick something different.  If picking something different, I don't know what to go for. Any suggestions?

Re: Dinner Music

• bethcarriebethcarrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have the string quartet continue to play, personally.  I have been to receptions with a string quartet playing in the background, and it adds to the atmosphere without being too loud or overpowering.  You could always ask them to switch the type of songs they play (showtunes/jazzy stuff for cocktail hour, classical for dinner, or something like that)
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my family is italian, so we're breaking out the italian classics and 'rat pack' style stuff for dinner.  I assume there will be sing-alongs as we eat. lol

PP has the right idea. have the strings switch up their songs.
  • phelene1phelene1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say, stick with the standards. Whatever band you've got for dancing should be able to play dinner music. Jazz standards and pop ballads are always nice.
  • edited December 2011
    String quartets can play many kinds of music. You might want to ask them to mix up pop and jazz arrangements with the classical repertoire they have.

Daniel Broniatowski, D.M.A.
    Elegant music for all occasions
    www.maestromusicians.com
  • gbissigbissi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!! I think we are leaning towards Frank Sanatra kind of songs/genre.  We have a DJ rather than a band and I decided to save some money by having the DJ play the strings songs instead of hiring more people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards