Catholic Weddings

Invite wording

Hello-  My mom said she wanted her name on the invitation (not just Mr. and Mrs. James XXX).  Is the following how I would word that?
Mr. and Mrs. James and Joan XXX 
Request the honour of your presence 
at the nuptial mass uniting their daughter 
Ellen Mary XXX 
and 
Stephen Joseph YYY 
son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael and Deborah YYY 
In the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony 
Friday, the thirtieth of July 
 Saint ZZZ 
Lorain Road 
Cleveland, Ohio
BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary

Re: Invite wording

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i've seen it done the way you have it, although its not technically proper.  you could omit the titles and do Joan and James Smith which would be correct, although not as formal.

also, be careful with your wording regarding hte mass.  the mass does not marry you - the mass is said in your honor.  therefore, saying "at the nuptial mass uniting her daughter" isnt technically correct either.

we had

JLP and PAM request the honour of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass

so, for your scenario, you could do:

Joan and James Smith request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daugher, Ellen Marie, to Mr. Robert Jones, son of Karen and Richard Jones, in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass.

or, you could do

Ellen Marie Smith, daughter of Joan and James Smith and Robert Andrew Jones, son of Karen and Richard Jones, request the honor of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass.
  • edited December 2011
    have you tried verseit.com for ideas?
  • edited December 2011
    We had first names on our invitation, no titles:

[Dad] and [Stepmom] Gulfcoaster
    and
    [Dad] and [Mom] Mr.Gulfcoaster
    request the honor of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass
    at which their children,
    Gulfcoaster
    and
    Gulfcoaster's soon-to-be husband,
    will be united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

(I personally hate the "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" phrasing, too.  It always bothers me a little when my husband's grandparents send us cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Husband's first and last name, as if my first name just kind of doesn't exist anymore.  But I recognize that this is what they grew up doing, and I don't hold it against them or say anything to them.  When I'm sending letters and cards to a married couple, I address them to "John and Jane Smith," rather than "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.")
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    if you are using first names, its technically Jane and John Smith as you do not separate the man's first name from his last name.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invite-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ab42241b-bf54-48f1-b953-eb9efa251d67Post:fcf5f02d-5a46-4423-adcf-a851830bc458">Re: Invite wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]if you are using first names, its technically Jane and John Smith as you do not separate the man's first name from his last name.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Really?  I've never heard that.  Odd. 

I guess all the cards and letters I get and send from people 45 or under wouldn't pass muster with Emily Post, because they're always addressed to [Husband's first] and [Gulfcoaster's first] [last name].  The only one I've ever seen addressed the other way around was a Christmas card from my brother -- and I'm pretty sure that's just because he thought of me first.  Clearly we aren't big on traditional etiquette in the circles I run in.  Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards