Wedding Etiquette Forum

confessions

13»

Re: confessions

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:32748c78-12c5-4593-8823-e4cc6a8c4842">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Nebb.  I'm also fairly certain I have little in common with most people here.  I'm also getting afraid to meet people because I really think Mandy is the only person I met who actually likes me off the boards
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

Moose, I am not blowing smoke here, but you are seriously one of the people I'd like to meet most from the boards. If nothing else, we could talk about WoW (though I suspect we could actually find other topics).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:cd763525-b080-4c31-8d93-30e848b6569a">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, man, lpstl, I remember Willard did this once and then proceeded to rub against me. It's the angriest I've ever been at him.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

Ewwwwww
  • Nebb, for what it's worth, I have always thought you come across as extremely intelligent and articulate.  I'm really surprised to hear that you don't think you have a lot in common with other posters.
  • I confess that I am confused by Moose's post since she was my first p&e crush. And Nebb's too, since she is awesome.

Why is anyone friends with anyone else anyway? Don't think about it too much, just enjoy spending time with people. If you're not enjoying yourself, then  by all means leave, but if you are, just stay Laughing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:ed03773e-e980-470c-a5ad-9a13abcc8d36">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: confessions : I feel the same way, im kind of glad sometimes no one has wanted to have a GTG with me (theyve wanted but its never been a concrete plan). I feel like they would think I was boring and strange and it would end up being awkward, and only met up with me to fulfill the P&E gtg thing thats going on lately.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Me too!  I'd like to meet a lot of you, but I'd probably be totally awkward. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:37211a76-9a12-43ff-b707-b55e2df544e0">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nebb, for what it's worth, I have always thought you come across as extremely intelligent and articulate.  I'm really surprised to hear that you don't think you have a lot in common with other posters.
    Posted by Kati0105[/QUOTE]
    Hmm Im surprised, but thank you! I don tknow if its a low opinion of myself mixed with being a total jerk off in school (when I was actually there, which was RARE). I feel like I just spew nonsense and people nod their heads, but I guess not?

I think on a deeper level, morals and things like that I have things in common, but on other levels I sure dont (interests, life goals, etc).
  • I think Moose and Nebb shared a crackpipe today. They are both awesome.

And I'd GTG with any of you regs. I would probably trip on the way in and show my hiney, so all pressure would be off you and you wouldn't feel awkward. It's a gift I have!
  • Nebb-tastic, I can't say I believe you and I would have tons in common, but I'm surprised if you think you're not smart. You come across plenty smart to me. Smarts aint all about book learnin.
  • Nebb-

FWIW, I know I dont add too much to the forums, but you're one of the (very) few posters here who I think are genuinely nice and interesting. You don't get involved with all the BS drama or kiss a$$. I respect that and I would be sad to see you go.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:bbbb222b-f662-4471-9021-c3484e16faed">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: confessions : Hmm Im surprised, but thank you! <strong>I don tknow if its a low opinion of mysel</strong>f mixed with being a total jerk off in school (when I was actually there, which was RARE). I feel like I just spew nonsense and people nod their heads, but I guess not? I think on a deeper level, morals and things like that I have things in common, but on other levels I sure dont (interests, life goals, etc).
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

It's this. You do have a low opinion of yourself. You don't realize how smart and cute you are and I wish you would.

I think we all feel a little "less than" most of the time. It's probably normal around these parts. I know I do most of the time.
  • Meh, I think you can kind of tell who you have enough common with to have fun IRL with.  For example, there are girls on the boards who I like but who I would never go out of my way to meet.  I don't mean that to sound snobby, I'm just trying to be realistic.

I think you're always going to worry "omg what if we have nothing in common and nothing to talk about except weddings/(P&)E gossip?"  but I've been to 2 GTGs and had a lot of fun at both.
  • Oh, and I also confess that I'm really pissed at my FSIL right now because she makes really bad decisions and has to come home to live with my FIL's about once a year because of some mess she's gotten into (drugs, prostitution, etc.). 

She's home now, in debt again, and FI is worried that his parents are going to use the money they were going to give us for our wedding present (to go toward the RD/wedding/house) to bail her out again.  I assured him that if they do, yes it will suck, but we'll make it work.  But I would still be super pissed even though I know we're adults and no one owes us anything for our wedding.

It's just frustrating being around her and wanting to shake her and make her realize that she is bringing this stuff on herself, but it's not my place so I just keep my mouth shut and try to be supportive (offer ideas of where to get her counseling) when FMIL asks for my advice.

Sorry that ended up being so long, but I can't vent to anyone who actually knows these people, haha.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Manda - That's so cool!  I'm totally flattered and not at all creeped out. 

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on my way home from work.
  • Youre all way too sweet (and I didnt in any way want this to turn into a "nebb is awesome" thing). I cant see myself leaving (anytime soon atleast) because everyone here is so great. My RL friends make fun of me that I still chat on a wedding website even though Ive been married for almost a year and a half but they just dont get it. I may not have a lot in common superficially but I love the peoeple here.
  • I confess that I covet Julez's wedding dress whenever I see her siggy pic.  A lot.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Seriously, I would go to Canada JUST to meet Moose or Nebb. No joke.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:6e63bdf6-e2f9-426a-8a84-ce8eb620985a">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Manda - That's so cool!  I'm totally flattered and not at all creeped out.  Sorry for the delayed response, I was on my way home from work.
    Posted by julezlee[/QUOTE]

Hey if I ever actually finish it (uh... don't hold your breath) I'll send you a copy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:3cef1d09-4806-4b93-b64c-a647cb8ce9d7">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seriously, I would go to Canada JUST to meet Moose or Nebb. No joke.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]
    Im holding you to that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:68996991-e01c-46a2-9a7b-7647e6d58542">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: confessions : Im holding you to that.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I have my passport, so that's the first step. It would have to be in a warmer month though 'cause I'm askeered of the cold.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:487852b4-c379-48bc-87b8-aaf21cd08e10">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I confess that I covet Julez's wedding dress whenever I see her siggy pic.  A lot.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

Aww thanks.  I totally want to wear that dress every day. 
  • I confess that I feel almost relieved to read that others here feel socially awkward, somewhat like the oucast in junior high, despite the fact that others don't see them that way at all. Makes me realize that I'm not the only one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:0e7d947b-d626-4bd8-9d4d-33ef942adfdd">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meh, I think you can kind of tell who you have enough common with to have fun IRL with.  For example, there are girls on the boards who I like but who I would never go out of my way to meet.  I don't mean that to sound snobby, I'm just trying to be realistic. I think you're always going to worry "omg what if we have nothing in common and nothing to talk about except weddings/(P&)E gossip?"  but I've been to 2 GTGs and had a lot of fun at both.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

YES! This! I <strong>know</strong> you and I won't have that problem, S, but I worry bec and Cew won't love me as much as you do and we won't have anything to talk about but p&e gossip. (Not that a little p&e talk is bad!) My self confidence has taken a hit lately. It's my own fault for allowing myself to gain post-wedding weight.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:3cef1d09-4806-4b93-b64c-a647cb8ce9d7">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seriously, I would go to Canada JUST to meet Moose or Nebb. No joke.

I would too, but I'm also afraid of GTGs. So maybe Nebb and I should have an anti-GTG someday. I confess that I totally hit Sascha up for Vegas recs and did not ask if she'd like to meet when I was in Vegas, even though I know Smokey met her and she seems like the coolest person ever. I'm kind of scared of IRL GTGs. Like I'm not cool or interesting enough for anyone to want to meet me.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:4c98c576-d96c-4427-bf2a-0aa4602aefe9">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: confessions : I have my passport, so that's the first step. It would have to be in a warmer month though 'cause I'm askeered of the cold.
    Its actually not that cold here right now, but thats not entirely practical. The area I am in is really hit or miss until the end of April, then its generally nice. I live in a glorious pocket of ontario that rarely gets much snow though, something to do with the escaprment and the lake or something. We had no snow after January last year.
  • Sarah - don't worry about any of that. I'm a 46 year old man that smells like garbage. If Bec liked me enough to hang out with me again, I know she's going to love you.

I would like to confess that I've been feeling fat, ugly, dumb and overall loserish lately. I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to shake it. It sucks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:8f6b8123-b2c1-44a5-a573-badcadc322c1">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel sometimes like I dont really have anything in common with 75% of the people here - I like them, but I dont know how much, other than enjoying eachothers company, we have in commin. Im not well educated and i dont make a lot of money because of that, I dont own my own house, I hate sports, I dont like 90% of the tv shows that are generally liked by people here, I also generally cant keep up with the really intellectual discussions. For some reason though, I cant see myself leaving. I sometimes dont understand how that works. 
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel, too.  I feel like a lot of the time, I come off sounding like a dumb@ss.  I also feel like I don't have anything to contribute, because I'm not as life experienced as a lot of these women, nor as intelligent.  Ha, I'm nothin' special!
  • sarabellam -
    I WAS the outcast in jr high - in two different junior highs/middle schools and two different states! I think I had a whopping two friends when we moved, and remember clearly the kids' names who made fun of me the most in both schools.

I accepted the friend request of one of them on FB, partly because that 7th grade girl who lives in my brain said, "she'll beat you up if you don't!" Partly because I figured, she is a Reverend, of some sorts, so she must have done some changing. I still don't want to be alone in a dark alley with her - she still scares me.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I confess that I am actually terrified of going to the dc g2g and being really awkward/having no one like me. I'm not a social butterfly and am really really shy when I first meet people. I have a feeling I will be bonding with Manda's cat initially...

Dc knotties DO NOT let me be a social chicken and back out of the g2g. The only reasons allowed for not attending is 1) House closing 2) House moving 3) super contagious illness.
  • edited November 2009
    I think everyone is fearful of meeting others from online, feels social awkward and questions how much they'll be able to relate. Well, perhaps 'everyone' is a little of a generalisation, but the vast majority of people, anyway.

I've met a few people from various sites. Some I knew I'd click with, and some I knew were very different to me but I figured we'd have a nice enough time- and we did. You always feel slightly apprehensive about meeting these people 'in the flesh', but the reality is that if you know them fairly well online, it's unlikely they're going to be hugely different. In your case, Nebb, you're here a lot and I think those of us who have been around for awhile would probably feel pretty confident in meeting you and knowing that we'd get along- even if you are a little shy/unsure of yourself. What people perceive and how you feel you're acting are two very different things, and I think you hit it on the head in saying it's insecurity coming from past experiences that makes you feel so unsure of yourself, not the reality of the situation itself- because I'm quite certain you would be a lot of fun to hang out with!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45aa3af9-b3e9-48f2-8a92-65f27d364009Post:a3190a46-fd3a-4283-9710-be72abba94ba">Re: confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I confess that I feel almost relieved to read that others here feel socially awkward, somewhat like the oucast in junior high, despite the fact that others don't see them that way at all. Makes me realize that I'm not the only one.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm late, but the majority of the regulars and not-so regulars seem to be genuinely the nicest people.  I know nice sounds like a cop-out, but it's not.  Supportive, pragmatic and friendly.  I mean more than you could ask for in a "friend."  I'm sappy, I know. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards