Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???

Hello everyone,

I've been planning since my fiance proposed in November. Since I live in a rainy state and all of my close friends live in different states. So, I really want to have a destination wedding in either Key West and or Jamaica. maybe even in Punta Cana. 

Can anyone give me any advice on there experience?

Best Regards,

Scared bride :) !

Re: KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???

• Options
    Welcome and congrats on your engagement!

There are brides on here who are getting married in each of those locations, so they can probably give you the best insight on the individual locations. 

Personally, my FI and I were looking at Punta Cana, but ended up picked Playa del Carmen Mexico for logistics. We wanted an all inclusive destination, and resorts at both locations were similarly priced, but flights to Punta Cana would have been prohibitively expensive for a lot of our VIPs. The best advice I can give, is too discuss destinations with your VIPs and figure out what will work best for everyone. All of those locations are beautiful, so the best place to start will probably be looking at your budget and pricing out locations/flights. 

Good luck with the planning! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome and Congratulations!!

I am partial to Jamaica because I am getting married there in Negril!  I've never been there but I hear nothing but good things from people who have gone.  We've had some Montego Bay brides that absolutely  loved it!  

All of the places you are considering are great! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome!! I am a Punta cana bride but not until May 2013 so I really don't know what it is like yet. If you plan on getting legally married there there are a few extra obstacles. My travel agent said Jamaica is the easiest to get legally marries in but if u plan on getting marries before you go no biggie!! We have been to Jamaica and loved it!! Really in paradise I don't know how you can go wrong : I am no help with Key West sorry but we have a Key West bride who just left us to go get married so next week sometime she should have some great input for you! If you start looking at locations/resorts I always like to go to funjet or apple vacations to price check and check out resort options but that is just me. I used trip advisor a lot to check out resorts but keep an open mind about reviews and just how picky some people can be I learned that on my last two trips. Again Congratulations!! You will love this board and everyone on it!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I  second TripAdvisor for checking out resorts. I think you can get an overall feel for the resort through the reviews, but Meg's right about the pickiness of some people. I actually think some of the 1 star reviews are great reading for a laugh, just take the reviews with a grain of salt. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Julyet06Julyet06 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    yea, i loved trip advisor!  i actually need to visit again!  i was stalking my resort for months and then came to my senses.  i also used to visit my resort website every day! lol!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love Jamaica, it's gorgeous. Never been to Key West, so no help.
  • Options
    I did tons of research on this too a while back (we ultimately decided on Hawaii) BUT for the ease of getting married and for security reasons we placed the Key West over Jamaica but there are LOTS of other things to look at besides those :)
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com
  • Options
    I am doing Jamaica myself.  My aunt is a travel agent and we are doing our wedding at the sandals resort Montego Bay!..  The pictures are beautiful and the the prices are nice.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Msmeia1Msmeia1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_key-west-or-jamaica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:f0d8ed25-c081-41c4-9d1f-239e98693dccPost:5271751e-8460-4f2c-a430-919fbad1918b">Re: KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congrats on your engagement! There are brides on here who are getting married in each of those locations, so they can probably give you the best insight on the individual locations.  Personally, my FI and I were looking at Punta Cana, but ended up picked Playa del Carmen Mexico for logistics. We wanted an all inclusive destination, and resorts at both locations were similarly priced, but flights to Punta Cana would have been prohibitively expensive for a lot of our VIPs. The best advice I can give, is too discuss destinations with your VIPs and figure out what will work best for everyone. All of those locations are beautiful, so the best place to start will probably be looking at your budget and pricing out locations/flights.  Good luck with the planning! 
    Posted by cevans11[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks you so much!</div>
  • Options
    Msmeia1Msmeia1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_key-west-or-jamaica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:f0d8ed25-c081-41c4-9d1f-239e98693dccPost:5271751e-8460-4f2c-a430-919fbad1918b">Re: KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congrats on your engagement! There are brides on here who are getting married in each of those locations, so they can probably give you the best insight on the individual locations.  Personally, my FI and I were looking at Punta Cana, but ended up picked Playa del Carmen Mexico for logistics. We wanted an all inclusive destination, and resorts at both locations were similarly priced, but flights to Punta Cana would have been prohibitively expensive for a lot of our VIPs. The best advice I can give, is too discuss destinations with your VIPs and figure out what will work best for everyone. All of those locations are beautiful, so the best place to start will probably be looking at your budget and pricing out locations/flights.  Good luck with the planning! 

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks you so much!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_key-west-or-jamaica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:f0d8ed25-c081-41c4-9d1f-239e98693dccPost:01cb94b9-9086-4f4c-866e-635109ee8dab">Re:KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats and welcome!! I am a Punta cana bride but not until May 2013 so I really don't know what it is like yet. If you plan on getting legally married there there are a few extra obstacles. My travel agent said Jamaica is the easiest to get legally marries in but if u plan on getting marries before you go no biggie!! We have been to Jamaica and loved it!! Really in paradise I don't know how you can go wrong : I am no help with Key West sorry but we have a Key West bride who just left us to go get married so next week sometime she should have some great input for you! If you start looking at locations/resorts I always like to go to funjet or apple vacations to price check and check out resort options but that is just me. I used trip advisor a lot to check out resorts but keep an open mind about reviews and just how picky some people can be I learned that on my last two trips. Again Congratulations!! You will love this board and everyone on it!!
    Posted by Meg&Austin[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you so much! And congrats on your engagement :)</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_key-west-or-jamaica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:f0d8ed25-c081-41c4-9d1f-239e98693dccPost:916959d9-13e0-44a4-8a94-624f4c164e19">Re: KEY WEST OR JAMAICA???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing Jamaica myself.  My aunt is a travel agent and we are doing our wedding at the sandals resort Montego Bay!..  The pictures are beautiful and the the prices are nice.  
    Posted by amorg334[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks so much for the reply. I've been looking at Montego Bay " Sandals" but they make me nervous with the adult only comments. I nieces that are apart of the bridal party! Have you found rates reasonable for your guest?</div>
  • Options

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you for the advice! I think I'm just to excited and overwhelmed with all of the options lol!</div>
  • Options

Key West! I'm getting married April 13th in Key West :) Its a pretty safe place and super fun, and its nice because its the US so travelling there is a little less complicated.  Good luck with your decision!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards