January 2012 Weddings

Advice for Jan 2013 Knotties!

Add your advice to the Jan 2013 brides here; Mark can edit the posts and move it over to the Jan board when complete!

Hello January 2013 Brides! Those of us on the January 2012 board wanted to carry on the tradition started by other Knotties by offering our advice, based on what we've gone through the last year or more, to each of you! We really hope this helps make your wedding planning easier for you!

A few pieces of advice I can offer:
1. Make your month board your shelter from the snarkiness that happens elsewhere on the knot. It will help you so much to know you have a place to turn to with a group of people that are going to support you no matter what (even if you *gasp* have a cash bar).

2. Its never to early to start your planning! A year seems like a long ways away but it will sneak up on you before you know it! Better to have things done early than cram at the last minute.

3. Have fun and enjoy this time in your life! Make lemonade out of all the lemons that you get handed (because you will get lemons!)
Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Advice for Jan 2013 Knotties!

• I think this is a great idea!
  • edited December 2011
    I love it! =) Let's do it!
    09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook
  • Mark- if we start the thread here do you have the ability to move it to the Jan 2013 board? That way we can have it complete and then show them.
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • sosie&fangmansosie&fangman member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My first pieces of advice are:

1) Research all your vendors. Don't chose one because they worked for someone else. And check references!

2) Do #1 especailly close when chosing your wedding planner. Make sure that person melds with your personality. If they don't, don't force it. This person will be your go-to for EVERYTHING during the process. You want to make sure they are worth the money you are spending.

3) Don't be afraid to cut your losses. If something worked before you started working on it and you change your mind, it's OK!

4) Watch Bridezillas ONLY to take note on what NOT to do. And yes, you will fight with your FI about wedding stuff, and it's OK, too. Just make sure to apologize to him for throwing your unity candle at his head. :)

Good luck, ladies and gents of 2013!!

Sass, this was a great idea. I love that we have such a supportive board... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_jan-2013?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:dccae1d7-46ff-41a8-bcb5-993f9db1c18cPost:eeb5b666-f18e-4de7-934b-bd03afb543ca">Re: Jan 2013</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mark- if we start the thread here do you have the ability to move it to the Jan 2013 board? That way we can have it complete and then show them.
    Posted by sassygirl5401[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we can do that....:)
  • Don't get frustrated or sad if your FI seems uninterested in wedding planning. Try to ask him whats important to him--food, DJ, something else? And put him in charge of that, and trust that he'll get it done. Most of the time, he'll be alright with whatever you want.

Think long and hard when you choose your bridal party (if you haven't already.)

DELGATE TASKS!!! Okay, I was one of those brides who wanted to handle everything myself and it was alright for awhile, but as it gets closer to the day, there are some many detial things to consider. It'll make your head explode trying to do and remember everything. Hand something to your maid of honor, mother, FMIL, etc. It really, really helps.

Be as organized as possible--or at least find someone that is to keep track of your ideas, contracts, contact info, reciepts, etc.

Take time with your FI and your bridal party and not talk wedding! I'm amazed at how clear my head is, and how great I feel after spending time with my girls and my FI and not agonizing over wedding details .

And the tired and true advice---HAVE FUN! Wedding planning is a stressful, but joyous time. Enjoy!
    <3 A Jan. 2012 Bride = )
    09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook
  • Do as much as early as you can, the earlier you do things, the better chance you have of getting a discounted price.

Don't be afraid to ask for a winter discount. Many places and wedding related business don't have a great deal of business in winter, so they are more willing to negotiate prices.

And remember that a great deal of people are there to support you, even though some important people might not be all that supportive
  • Do not buy your vail or hair piece that the bridal shop. These are much much much cheaper online. For example-I got my vail and hair piece $300.00 at a consignment shop. Found the same exact vail and a similar hair piece that would of costed me about $50.00 online. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Remember the day is about you and your FI. It doesn't matter if something doesn't match or someone you don't like will be there. What does matter is that you and your FI love each other for who you are now and who you will be in the future. People will remember that, they won't remember the details of the wedding.

Enjoy planning, cause hopefully you only do it once.  If things are getting to stressful, take a step back and look at the whole picture. Remove yourself from the stress. 

Use your local board for recommendations and personally I found a lot of support my month board.

Good Luck! I have all my wedding stuff in a folder and would be happy to send templates to you! jmmonagh0739@winona.edu
  • Make sure your wedding is what you and your FI want, not something you feel pressured into doing or having.  This is your day, you don't have to please everybody.

You will step on somebody's toes at some point.  It might be family, one of your friends, or a wedding vendor.  Just don't be a Bridezilla about it.  :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Hi January 2013 brides and grooms!

My advice:

1. Add at least $800-$1200 to your budget. You will most likely go over. I know I sure did!

2. Check the internet for wedding related items before you buy it in a store. I used Ebay and Etsy.com for almost everything! Plus, shopping online saved me a lot of time.

3. Do not stress out over a bridesmaid that is unwilling to help you. I spent a lot of time being angry with my bridesmaid that is my soon to be sister-in-law because she didn't seem to care about my wedding, and never offered to help, but she had a lot going on in her life and I should have understood that. 

4. If you are having a church wedding be sure to ask the fees involved. We were hit with a $900 ceremony fee that we wern't expecting at all. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Be organized.

Don't prcrastinate.

Have fun.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited January 2012
    One to add...

H and I felt like we connected with everyone of our vendors. Some we hit it on the first one, others took six or seven different possibilities until we found who our wedding vision meshed with. Don't settle for someone just because they are the cheapest, or the most well known. We spent a little more on some of our vendors, because we just didn't mesh with the cheaper ones.
  • Hi All,

Do not stress out over a bridesmaid that is unwilling to help you. I spent a lot of time being angry with my bridesmaid that is my soon to be sister-in-law because she doesn't seem to care about my wedding, and never offers to help, but she has a lot going on in her life and I should have understood that.Cool
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_jan-2013?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:dccae1d7-46ff-41a8-bcb5-993f9db1c18cPost:a72ddbfb-3f3b-4cb7-a6b4-26a5d1eb2cc1">Re: Advice for Jan 2013 Knotties!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do not stress out over a bridesmaid that is unwilling to help you. I spent a lot of time being angry with my bridesmaid that is my soon to be sister-in-law because she doesn't seem to care about my wedding, and never offers to help, but she has a lot going on in her life and I should have understood that.
    Posted by jack1420[/QUOTE]

I add to this from reading a lot of the other boards....if you want your bridesmaids to follow the traditional responsibilities and not just show up in a dress, make sure they understand this when you ask them so that they can decline if they won't have the time.  This can save a lot of friendships and hurt feelings. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_jan-2013?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:dccae1d7-46ff-41a8-bcb5-993f9db1c18cPost:a72ddbfb-3f3b-4cb7-a6b4-26a5d1eb2cc1">Re: Advice for Jan 2013 Knotties!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All, Do not stress out over a bridesmaid that is unwilling to help you. I spent a lot of time being angry with my bridesmaid that is my soon to be sister-in-law because she doesn't seem to care about my wedding, and never offers to help, but she has a lot going on in her life and I should have understood that.
    Posted by jack1420[/QUOTE]

Why did you copy what I wrote? Are you agreeing with it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmmmm......

Do what YOU and your Fi want to do.  Don't give in to others who try to make your day about them.

Pick a place where you are happy with the food and the staff.  It makes things so easy when people are nice.

Like others have said, take the time to appreciate your Fi and don't lose the reason why you are getting married.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Something will go wrong the day of your wedding.  It might be big or small, but in the end it won't really matter.  Our photographer was late, which meant our wedding started 20 minutes late, but we still got married and it still turned out beautifully.  So just breathe!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have to add....

I would have described the flowers I wanted in more detail. I guess I wasn't too clear on the size of mine or the bridesmaids bouquet because when they arrived the morning of the wedding they were a lot smaller than what I wanted and expected. By that time it was too late. 

I also would have made sure I had a family photo taken. My mom is very upset we didn't get one done. I'm upset too.

I am very happy I had a videographer because I missed so much being the bride. I couldn't see my bridal party walk down the aisle or how people interacted during cocktail hour. I also do not remember the look on my husband's face when I walked down the aisle. Now I will get a chance to see all that! I can't wait until I get my DVD!

Also, I must say I am very happy we only had 73 guests. It was such a nice crowd. We were able to talk to everyone and never felt overwhelmed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards