Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Let's Talk About Cake...

So the cake is the next item on my to-do list so to speak. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a great cake baker. We'll have both a wedding cake and a groom's cake (as a nod to me being from the South) and I'd like to have both done at the same bakery. Taste is important, as is customer service. We live on the Northside and are also getting married here if that matters. 

Thanks!
Married since May 12, 2012

Re: Let's Talk About Cake...

• MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cake is the last vendor I have to book.  I've been dragging my feet, because I don't like cake, but FMIL is demanding cake.  Blah.

Does anybody know of a place i could get ice cream wedding cake?  Because I would be ALL for that...though, the logistics would, understandably, be much more difficult.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • dalecnardalecnar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting my cake at Fenoglietto's which has a Lower Burrell location (near my house) but they also have a place set up in the Strip to do tastings.  They are good but not sure if reasonably priced.  I think I'm settling for their higher price because I don't care much about cake either and am not interested in more research. They also said they could do my design which is one thing I won't budge on and since they have to use fondant I'm sure that is another reason for the higher price.

In regards to ice cream cake, check out MarbleSlab.  They were at the March bridal show and are able to do ice cream at the reception.  Not sure if in cake form but at least a bar.  And they have a cake flavored ice cream that was delicious.
    PGH June Siggy-Favorite Summer Activity-KennywoodWedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Signature Desserts in Castle Shannon.  They do a dessert buffet that is amazing.  Their cakes are delish. 
    http://www.signaturedesserts.com/

image Ivory
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in love with Oakmont Bakery, and they're doing our cake - yum! :)
  • arf3420arf3420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Signature Desserts, and also Pastries a la Carte! 

And WOW,  a Marble Slab ice cream bar?!  That is definitely something I'll have to look into!!
  • edited December 2011
    Okay...funny story about ice cream wedding cake

My godbrother is supoosed to get married soon, and they have contacted DQ to make cakes in varying sizes that they are going to stack themselves.  The wedding is taking place at my godparents' house, so there'll be no problem with storing it.
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Anne326Anne326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Creative Cakes by Gwen. Her cakes are beautiful and they taste amazing. We are not doing a grooms cakes but her pictures are fab! We also live on the northside and it only took us 15 min (at the most, during rush hour) to get to her bakery. She is located right off of the Parkway West at the Campbells Run exit. I think her website is something ike creativecakespgh or something like that. Our wedding is Friday, so I will try to check back and let you know how everything goes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • StellaBlue27StellaBlue27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Cakes by Tammy. We just had a tasting last weekend and her cake is AMAZING. Couldn't recommend enough.
  • teryan2321teryan2321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also using Cakes by Tammy- the cakes we tried were SUPER yummy! She even said she could make the batter sweeter or less sweet according to our preference. She is a little pricey, though. I've heard good things about Bethel Bakery, and I believe Signature Desserts. I think they include cookies and desserts in their packages.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards