Florida-South Florida
Options

Registry

Hi All,

Did anyone choose not have a gift registry, if the primary preference were monetary gifts?

Re: Registry

• Options
    We had a gift registry because hubby and I did not live prior to our wedding. Naturally, we needed everything for our new place. We got plenty of gifts as well as monetary gifts without prompting anyone to give us money. 

However, we are going to a wedding in April and the couple does not have a registry and have asked for monetary gifts which they will use for their honeymoon and whatever else they want. They didn't do a registry because they already live together and have no more room for new stuff than they already have which it's understood. 
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards not having a registry, because I have lived with my FI for 3 years already, and until we buy a house, we really don't need anything, nor do I know what I want until I figure out where we are eventually going to move. I was considering using honeyfund.com to register for a fund to help us start saving for a house? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_registry-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:f5d1309a-52c9-4c57-9269-7b507230808aPost:85ad0802-830d-47f5-8d76-be1a39eedce2">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm leaning towards not having a registry, because I have lived with my FI for 3 years already, and until we buy a house, we really don't need anything, nor do I know what I want until I figure out where we are eventually going to move. I was considering using honeyfund.com to register for a fund to help us start saving for a house? Any thoughts?
    Posted by empiregrl5[/QUOTE]

<div>It's a good thing you asked this question here and not on the etiquette board. Personally, I don't see a problem with giving a couple a monetary gift. How I see it is that they will get something they want with the money or at least save it up for something important. Some of my fellow November brides received monetary gifts and used it to fix up their newly purchased home. </div><div>
    </div><div>On the flip side, there are some people who feel it's offensive or not proper to ask for money. The pressure of giving money as a gift may come due what would be an acceptable amount for the newlyweds or sometimes, some guests cannot gift the couple a nice sum and prefer to get a gift from the registry that isn't too costly. </div><div>
    </div><div>My best suggestion would be to have a registry with minimal items that you have but what to replace or upgrade and then state monetary gifts would also be appreciated. Hubby and I had a registry but we got a nice quantity of money without asking or stating it on our wedding website. </div>
  • Options
    I agree with PP...we prefer monetary gifts, but I'm going to make a small registry for those who prefer to buy us a physical gift.

I actually have a girlfriend who wanted money, but didn't know how to communicate that, so she made a registry with unbelievably ridiculously priced items that she didn't need and knew no one would get, and people gave them money LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My FI and I both own our own homes so now we have two of everything and we really don’t have room for anymore stuff.

I am planning on doing a small registry for guest that may not feel comfortable giving monetary gifts.  I figured it would be nice to have new towels and linens that were ours and maybe luggage for the honey moon.

Without a registry I know I will end up with physical gifts that are not necessarily my style and I might be stuck with them.  At least with a registry I’ll get stuff that I may not need but at least it will be my style.

• Options
    This is an awesome question since I was talking to my MOH about this.

I have a couple of registries ONLY because I wanted the free stuff.  Macy's for their Scan for a Grand event.  Then to Target for a $10 gift card with a $50 registry.  And some others.  Free and I am there.  LOL

I was never going to give out those registries because I scanned nonsense,  I just wanted the gifts/prizes.  But my MOH did make a good point  about how some people like gifting.  So I might redo a couple and release those.  My FI and i have been living together for 2 years once we get married.  So I also have everything i need.  But we have to please some people.  Laughing

SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards