May 2012 Weddings

Last Name Change

2»

Re: Last Name Change

• Wow ... I'm feeling so alone on this board in my decision to keep my name. It's wierd, because all of my good friends that have married have kept their names, too.
  • I am planning to keep my maiden name professionally for the time being. I am a supply teacher, so am known by my last name and dont want to confuse people thinking I am some new teacher. Not to mention FMIL is a well known retired teacher in the area.. and not in a good way. So I dont want to constantly be compared to her. Once I have a contract position I will change it to FI last name.

Hyphenating doesnt really work, neither does using my maiden name as a middle name. My last name is Best, so if I hyphenated it it would make it sound like I was the Best of FIs Lastname

On a side note, every time I walk into a classroom I hear "is that really your last name?" "Are you really the Best".. and on and on and on.... EVERY DAY! lol. Best one I have heard to date was "What would you do if I called you ms mediocre?" I had to give him credit for being creative.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I'm taking his last name :) 
  • Taking his last name, I can't wait for when we're annouced as Mr. and Mrs. Hislastname at the wedding! :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_last-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:f72d197a-020c-42e2-a130-1d0abe0df248Post:42ffff34-7428-4a4f-9c02-75b6f40fdc51">Re: Last Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow ... I'm feeling so alone on this board in my decision to keep my name. It's wierd, because all of my good friends that have married have kept their names, too.
    Posted by Lyra1020[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I know tons of people who have kept their last name! It's pretty common in my circle too. </div><div>
    </div><div>I am taking FI's last name and dropping mine. He has a great last name and my married initials will be RRR which is kinda funny :) My maiden name is also a boy first name, so maybe we'll use it for a middle name somewhere down the line. </div>
  • I struggled with this... I knew I didn't want to hyphenate (both our last names end in "man" and I thought it sounded cumbersome to say), but the thought of changing my last name scared me too!  I'm 33! I talked it over with FI and he really wanted me to take his name.  It was surprising because he's super liberal/non-tradtional so I didn't think he'd care.  Actually the fact that he had an opinion on it was endearing to me, so I agreed to take it.  Currently, I refer to us as the "Huffelman's" (combo of our names) but I can't get him on board to legally change ours to this. :)
  • I was made fun of my entire school career for my last name...and it still gets a snicker now and then...I cannot wait to drop it!

Having said that..if my mother had kept her last name I would probably keep that part in my name since thats the side of the family I identify with much more then my dad's side.

ALL of my cousins (and aunts) on my mom's side (except for my mom) kept thier last names, and I think its kinda cool that they are all such strong independent women who got married to men who respect that....

But I still hate my last name and cant wait to take FI's...also for things like kids and church life...its just easier when you can be identified by one family name rather then 2.

(A side note, my best friends husband took her name...I thought that was wicked awesome! He got teased about it at first, but now most of his circle doesnt even know...its not normal to go up to a married guy and ask if they kept thier name, so it doesnt come up much)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards