African American Weddings
Options

7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!

I thought this was good from wedding channel.com

THE SEVEN DEADLY WEDDING GUEST SINS FROM WEDDINGCHANNEL.COM

1. The No-Show

Showing up to a wedding with an uninvited plus-one is definitely a no-no. So is forgetting to RSVP to the couple by the date specified. But worse than that? According to 1 in 3 brides polled by WeddingChannel.com, it’s RSVPing “yes” to a wedding and then not showing up. When it comes to being a good guest, abiding by the rules of responding is an absolute must, especially when the couple is shelling out five-star funds to feed and entertain you.

2. Forgoing the Ceremony but Still Attending the Reception

A wedding is the celebration of the marriage of two people -- not a free, all-you-can-eat buffet. Don’t even think of skipping the ceremony; 55% brides claim that’s just plain rude. If you have a legitimate reason for showing up late, like waiting for childcare or a plane delay, be courteous by apologizing to the couple.

3. Getting Intoxicated at the Reception

Sure, the free alcohol will most likely be flowing, but try to keep your inner Jack Daniels contained. Have a glass of champagne for the toast, a signature cocktail, and a glass of wine with dinner, but keep additional drinking to a minimum. You don’t want to be the person the guests gossip about at the morning-after brunch.

4. Wearing White

Nearly 80% of brides polled said “no” when WeddingChannel.com asked if they thought it was permissible for a guest to wear white (or any variation thereof) to a wedding. Stay away from ivory, diamond-white, and grayish-white, and try not to bear too much skin. A rule of thumb: If you have to ask if it’s okay, choose something else.

5. Complaining

If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it. Couples fear that their guests might not like their wedding. Avoid complaining within earshot of the couple or any of their family members. There's nothing more disheartening than hearing that a guest didn’t care for the destination, the selection or quality of the food, band, gifts, or any other detail of the wedding.

6. Switching Seats

43% of couples say that they'd be miffed if someone tampered with the seating at their wedding. Even though you might want to sit somewhere else, you must take into account that couples often spend hours figuring out their seating plans -- and probably sat you there for a reason. You’ll have plenty of time to hang out with your crew on the dance floor, but when it comes to dinner, sit in your assigned seat.

7. Regifting

Perhaps the second biggest gaffe a guest can make is giving a recycled gift -- without taking out the original card or, worse, forgetting that it was already inscribed for someone else! WeddingChannel.com has heard from thousands of couples who’ve been horrified to receive a regifted present. If you can't afford a gift, send a card before the wedding with best wishes and a note that a gift will be on the way soon. And, when choosing a gift, opt for a selection from the couple’s registry: 1 in 3 couples prefer that you don't stray from their wedding wish list. Don’t know where they’re registered? Go to WeddingChannel.com to search their registries at 20 top retailers, from Macy’s to Tiffany & Co. to Amazon.com.

Although they didn’t quite make it into the Seven Deadly Wedding Guest Sins list, these additional gaffes came pretty close:

• 68% of brides say they’ve had a guest ask if they can bring an uninvited plus-one to the wedding.
  • 75% of brides say guests have had the audacity to ask how much they’re spending on the wedding.
  • 70% of brides say it’s not okay to ask to try on their engagement ring, yet nearly 60% of brides have had had this done to them.
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!

• Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish this we could include this in our invites lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    LOL!  Number 5 and 3 are really get my goat but the ones that didn't make the top 7 are the ones that get me to most to be honest.    Also I am guilty of #2 at two weddings just last year. Embarassed  I had my reasons though.   

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow these are spot on. I have had someone ask to try on my engagement ring....AWKWARD!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should post this on my fb page for people to see. lol It wont seem so rude of me that way.lol
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL I love it. Thanks for this Carla!

The most random person asked to try on my ring: a court attorney that works for a judge I frequently appear before.

Then what made it even more awkard is that she broadcasted it to my co-workers and my FI at a networking event later that week. Let's just say he was not pleased and I had to explain that I don't just let random people try on my ring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    #1,3,4 & 6 all happend to me. People are rude. I know a married woman that would ask to try on my ring. It was weird and sometimes uncomfortable at times. She has her own e-ring and band.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have one I'd like to add:

When a guest goes on and on about how FINE your husband is. I mean we all enjoy a compliment that our men are good looking, but if you say it and lick your lips...You're about to get slapped.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:982a2c81-cf5f-4777-8ccd-bfab7fb63ed2">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one I'd like to add: When a guest goes on and on about how FINE your husband is. I mean we all enjoy a compliment that our men are good looking, but if you say it and lick your lips...You're about to get slapped.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

What? Where they do that at? LOL Now, watching Four Weddings sometimes....some guys I had to say "mmmm nice" but that's it.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:d2caeedf-9b04-489b-825b-478ef756044c">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should post this on my fb page for people to see. lol It wont seem so rude of me that way.lol
    Posted by mrswac58[/QUOTE]

If I can find the link to the original post I am sooooo putting this on my FB. LOL 

I can't believe people would ask to try on your ring! WTFire?  My people must just know I am NOT the one, because I haven't had anyone ask my no crazy mess like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:c08c3047-e62e-4621-b0d0-acb5f0aa6b37">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL! : What? Where they do that at? LOL Now, watching Four Weddings sometimes....some guys I had to say "mmmm nice" but that's it.
    Posted by mahoganieyes[/QUOTE]

No harm no foul if the groom is on TV.

Trust me, this has happened to us at a B-day party. A single lady had one too many drinks and she was going on and on about my FI to ME. I kept my cool b/c I knew she was tipsy but I told her best friend she needs to get her.

Also, at a wedding I've seen a drunk girl try to grind on the groom. Brides family made her go sit down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:982a2c81-cf5f-4777-8ccd-bfab7fb63ed2">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one I'd like to add: When a guest goes on and on about how FINE your husband is. I mean we all enjoy a compliment that our men are good looking, <strong>but if you say it and lick your lips...You're about to get slapped</strong>.

Haaaaaahaaaaa..I  know that's right! I'm guilty of #4...I don't know what I was thinking when I did it, obviously I wasn't thinking at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

These are great.  Oh if I could have put these in the invitations, OMG that would have been GREAT!!!!

I had 1, 2, 3 & 5 happen at my wedding.  Needless to say the #2, I don't speak to them anymore.

Not RSVP'ing is just plain rude, no one said you had to send the card back but at least call, text fb, tweet, email that you are not coming, not too hard, but why can't people get that right.

And the folks that asked how much we speny, um why is that any of your business.

And why would you ask someone to try on their engagement/wedding ring???  Now that's a new one for sure.

• Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:982a2c81-cf5f-4777-8ccd-bfab7fb63ed2">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one I'd like to add: When a guest goes on and on about how FINE your husband is. I mean we all enjoy a compliment that our men are good looking, but if you say it and lick your lips...You're about to get slapped.
    <strong>
    OMG!  Yes.  This will get you slapped for sure.  Been there done that one. </strong>

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    edited December 2011

I literally LOL when i read this! At FI family bbq one of his COUSINS kept saying, "damn he fine, mhh, he fine". #sideeye
    Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, yes! This needs to be posted everywhere so people can see.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ROFL!!! I have never had someone ask to try on my ring!!!! That is soooo rude.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow!! I'm still stuck on the last one about people asking to try on rings! What?!? So new to me!  I'm Shocked Surprisedthat people really do that. And for the ladies that posted that someone asked to try on your ring, how did you handle it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_7-deadly-sins-guests-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:ea04577e-df0d-4ffa-9b78-c73639901a7bPost:866c066c-3988-481d-b688-024c138eb36e">Re: 7 Deadly sins - for guests LOL!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow!! I'm still stuck on the last one about people asking to try on rings! What?!? So new to me!  I'm Shocked that people really do that. <strong>And for the ladies that posted that someone asked to try on your ring, how did you handle it?
    </strong>Posted by PrettyCW5[/QUOTE]

Well for me it was a friend of mine but it still shocked me and caught me off guard. I had slipped it off and laid it down to put on lotion and she immediately picks it up and admires it and goes "ooh its so pretty can I try it on or is that bad luck?" as she is slipping it on her right hand! I yell "yeah thats bad luck!" and grab my ring back! HEFFA! LOL If it was a random person I would have been more forceful but it was really awkward because she's my friend so I guess she thought she had that right. No Honey!
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards