Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Number of Guests

Does anyone know if there is a standard number of how many people you can expect will not come? For example, on average are 20% of the poeple invited not able to attend.

Re: Number of Guests

• Options

10-20% is often thrown around as an average but it totally depends on your group.  Some girls have 30% decline (particularly DWs or lots of OOT guests) and some girls have almost 0% decline.

You should budget for, and have enough seats (both ceremony and reception) in case you get 100% response.

• Options
    Like others said, you plan, book, and budget everything for 100% attendance.

Some people you think or "know" won't come will come.  Others may surprise you and not come. 

Budget for 100% and then if people don't show up, that's surprise extra money after all is said and done.
  • Options
    Welcome!  Absolutey budget and plan for 100%. 
  • Options
    How large is your guest list? Generally, smaller wedding list=much lower decline rate, because you are only inviting people who are very close to you. Like the others said, budget and plan for 100%, but if you are just interested for your own purposes, I've heard the 30% rule quite a bit.
  • Options
    Budget and plan for 100%.

I had almost a 50% decline rate, but we also invited everyone to bring a guest and obviously not all our single friends wanted to do so. We also had a lot of OOT guests. It depends on a lot of things, none of which can be predicted.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree plan for 100% but I think it depends on your family and friends.
    I know all of my family is OOT so I went through and figured out who would actually come (based on distance and circumstance). I errored on guessing they would make it if I wasn't unsure. I was able to guesstimate pretty well. Then I thought 100% of my in town guests (friends and FI family) would come. That meant only 70-80 of our total 130 would be coming. My venue can hold all 130 (they say they can get up to 180 but that would be ridiculous in my opinion) but I know that will never happen so I also planned for a place that would be more suited to 70-80 people.
    Also, when I signed my catering contract I had a minimum number of guests. Normally, its a minimum of 75 but I negotiated to have it be lowered to 70 people -- so sometimes its good to keep that in mind when ever you sign something go low!
    So I think its just something you need to go through your guest list and think about.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! You have been a great help. We are just starting to put together our guest list and look for a reception venue. We have a pretty decent mix of in-town and out-of-town guests so I think I'm going to plan for 100% attendance but also try and lower the food minimum to account for all of the people we think we will not come.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards