Hawaii
Options

Make up ... worth the money?

Let me begin by saying photos are super important to me. I want those gorgeous, should be in a galllery style photos, like many of you have shared.

I had my mind made up on Jessica Waite for makeup, but then got her pricing sheet. By the time she comes to our hotel, I will have spent 200-250. That's a chunk of change! LOL She was great to talk to, and her assistant was quick to send me information, but it is a lot of money to pay for one day's makeup.

So my question is, is her service worth that much?

Is there another artist who does airbrush that is just as awesome for less?

If you have used Jessica, and paid for the GQ Husband service, was it worth the 75? please explain either way

I figure if I do end up paying, gulp, 200 I might as well pay the75 for Brandon too lol
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Make up ... worth the money?

• Options
    Jessica Waite did my makeup -- I was happy with her.  I liked what she did on me, and she made my sister look like a goddess.  The makeup in the photos just looks so smooth on us both.

My take is this -- unless you're an expert at your own makeup, this is the ONE DAY to hire someone else to do it.  I airbrush my own makeup daily and Jessica was 10x better than I ever do on myself.  If you're worried about prices, a few others have been used on this board with  great success.  Read some of the review posts & bios -- I've seen at least 3 or 4 other makeup artists mentioned on Maui.

She's not around much anymore, but one of the Knotties' husband got airbrushing and she could not stop raving about how glad she was -- it looked very natural and not noticeable, but also made him look smoother and glowing in photos.
  • Options
    I'm going with Karine Cummings. She was easy to book with and has got great reviews. I love her website with before and after pics. Her prices were moderate.
  • Options
    I used Pam Jensen and she did both my hair & makeup. She was expensive but came very highly recommended. She works at the four seasons salon so i was able to do a trial there to save money and then have her travel to me the day of the wedding. I cringed at the prices for hair & makeup but you only get married once and you want to look gorgeous plus you have the photos forever. Pam also does groom service which we did and DH looked amazing but I am not sure how much of a difference it really made for him.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I used Karine Cummings for my hair and airbrush amke-up and she was great (under $300 for both). She understood what I wanted and went above and beyond my expectations. She is also very sweet and funny.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_make-up-worth-the-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:e7633385-221a-4843-96d5-62784e2b2801Post:c2667a02-b989-4f99-b7a0-7a5bff96b52a">Re: Make up ... worth the money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Karine Cummings for my hair and airbrush amke-up and she was great (under $300 for both). She understood what I wanted and went above and beyond my expectations. She is also very sweet and funny.
    Posted by lorena224[/QUOTE]

Great to hear this! I'm excited to have her. I dont really know what I want to be doe to my hair, I just know I want a more natural updo... I'm hopeful she'll just work her magic!
  • Options
    Jess is really, really worth the cost. Honestly. I don't airbrush my everyday make-up like Tanq, but I'm no slouch when it comes to applying my own, and she was magic with me and my WP. Really, just amazing. She stayed late to help out with a few things too. Sweetest woman ever.
  • Options
    I don't wear make up, so I used the fact that I was getting married to go all out.  I had Jessica come do my make up and I have to say it was worth it.  Air brushing is a plus for me, since it felt like I wasn't wearing any I was comfortable and happy through the ceremony and reception. Also she does a great job on grooms, my husband on a sunburnt face and she did a great job covering it up or shall I say toning down the reddish pink tone and evening him out.  My hubs looked great in the pictures. 
  • Options
    Yes, yes, yes, 100 times yes! Jessica is totally worth every penny.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I initially was going to go with Jessica as well, but her cost detered me.  I am using Karine as well.  I felt she was more in the middle and I was happy with what I saw on her website and her prices.  I had to be realistic with what my budget was, even though I wanted Jessica, I wanted other things as well.  I've had to keep that in my mind for everything, since I ultimately really wanted to get married at Olowalu and there are so many extra costs associated with the place.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_make-up-worth-the-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:e7633385-221a-4843-96d5-62784e2b2801Post:2acc12fb-1d95-4781-ab89-f48100d0f686">Make up ... worth the money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me begin by saying photos are super important to me. I want those gorgeous, should be in a galllery style photos, like many of you have shared. I had my mind made up on Jessica Waite for makeup, but then got her pricing sheet. By the time she comes to our hotel, I will have spent 200-250. That's a chunk of change! LOL She was great to talk to, and her assistant was quick to send me information, but it is a lot of money to pay for one day's makeup. So my question is, is her service worth that much? Is there another artist who does airbrush that is just as awesome for less? If you have used Jessica, and paid for the GQ Husband service, was it worth the 75? please explain either way I figure if I do end up paying, gulp, 200 I might as well pay the75 for Brandon too lol
    Posted by FutureMrsBrandonLucas[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I used Jessica, she was sooooooo worth the $!! You won't regret it, not only is she super talented but such a sweetheart and will make you feel and look like a million bucks!;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hair and make-up are two of my very few regrets about how I executed my wedding. First of all, I did hire someone and I thought they followed my direction very well. My initial decision / directions are what I am regretting, not their work. That's a very important point for me to make. No one did a sub par job.

I thought I wanted a more *natural* look, which I think makes sense for the setting, but I was probably too *natural*. I see photos of other weddings where the bride really looks like a model - not glamorous and overdone, just stunning, with skin like butter - and I wish I had gone for that.

Jessica W was not available for my day, but had she been, I would have hired her. I'm sure there are many, many other talented MUAs out there, she's just the name that I became familiar with on this board.

So, the take-away to this post - figure out what you want and then what you need in order to execute. Try to avoid regretting something about hair, make-up. (Regrets about a dessert flavor, OOT bag, centerpieces or something else arguably less personal than what you feel like when you walk down the aisle and what you look like in your photos are easier to get over.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards