Missouri-St Louis
Options

Magic Chef Mansion

Hey there,

My fiance and I are trying to plan our wedding for August or September, and we have a SMALL budget (4k or less) for a medium-sized wedding (~150 guests). We can be a little flexible because we might get some help from his parents, but the cheaper, the better.

Anyway, we found out about the Magic Chef Mansion, and I was hoping to get some reviews. I think it could be affordable... it's $250/hr. plus $750 extra to book the carriage room for the reception. Then there's the chair, table, and linen rentals. We have an appt. to go view the space this weekend, and it looks beautiful.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone had any issues with them?
Has anyone had family/ friends successfully cook for the wedding dinner there? (We're thinking bar-be-que, as my fiance's father-in-law does competitive bbq and has all the equiptment to travel and grill)

Any input is appreciated :D

Re: Magic Chef Mansion

• Options
    I think you might be underestimating how much the venue -- once you get chairs, linens, glassware, plates etc. rented will really cost you. Think about how much time you'll need to set up and tear down and include that in for how long you'll need to rent the space. 150 won't fit inside if it rains, so you'll need to think about a tent as a back-up plan -- those can be pricey too.

We toured the mansion before we booked our wedding -- it's GORGEOUS and the backyard is impressive. However, there is a serious lack of restrooms that I think the owner should take care of as soon as possible. The inside is stunning but feels a bit like being in a museum -- I coudn't really see it going with BBQ, ya know?

Please feel free to ask any other follow-up questions. I'm happy to help!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Yay!  I'm having my wedding at the mansion in May AND I'm having BBQ there!  I think you can have whatever food makes you happy and don't worry if it "clashes" with the feel of the venue.  Personally, I think it's cool to have a casual feel to the food in a "museum-like" venue.  Obviously everyone has their own style, but my fiance and I happen to care more about having delicious food that reflects our personalities!  :)

However, we needed the venue for 8 hours plus deposit = $3250
    Tables and chairs and linens for 120 people = $750
    Plus food, dishes, drinks, booze, flowers, photographers, etc, it will definitely be more than 4k.
    The 8 hours in the mansion includes set up and clean up.  We plan on having about 1.5 hours to set up and then the rest of the time will be wedding ceremony, cocktail hour (picture time), and reception/dinner.

Being able to bring in our own caterer was huge for us (and you too, obviously).  I'd also take a look at LaLumondiere Mill (spelling might be a little off).  I can't remember off the top of my head the pricing, but it was decently priced or else we wouldn't have looked at it, lol! :)  But it's a really cool venue that allows outside catering as well.  Finding a place that allows you to bring in any caterer you want is going to be the trickiest part, but just do some searching and I'm sure you'll find the perfect place!

Good luck with your planning!
  • Options
    I just found an old email from lalumondiere mill and they were charging $2500 for the full event back in October 2010 when I inquired.  I think they will also customize the package if you don't need the full time, etc. It's a super unique space and the owners are very friendly, but after adding in the tables and chairs, it's probably just the same $$ as the mansion.  I chose the mansion over the mill because it's easier to get to for out of town guests and you can go inside if it rains (plus its AMAZING!!).  The Mill doesn't really have inside space and there isn't the option for a tent, unless they've changed it in the past year. 

Oh and I think the Third Degree Glass Factory might also allow outside catering.  I've never looked at it in person, but that could also be an option. 

Those are the only places I know of that might allow your family to cater the reception. 

Laughing
  • Options
    oosunburstoo

Thanks for all of your help and your positive outlook!

We ended up booking the World's Fair Pavilion for 08/05, and we're looking at their more affordable caterers (Pasta House or Favazza's) or maybe having the reception somewhere else, like at Andre's West. Even then, we'll be going over our budget, but it will be less stressful to have someone else take care of the details for us.

MCM is beautiful and I'm sure your wedding will be too.

Thanks again,
    Kate
  • Options
    I know this post is old, but I wanted to get my experience out there for people who are considering the Magic Chef Mansion for cost purposes because when it is all said and done, it is not as cost effective as you think.  

Let me first start off by saying that the mansion is beautiful and unique venue. Our wedding was beautiful, and everyone just loved the house and the grounds. As beautiful as it was, I was not as happy with my overall experience as I hoped to be because I felt like I was nickeled and dimed in the end.  Throughout the whole experience I was told one thing, but she did another (and what was done always costed extra money). We chose this venue because we were on a strict budget, and we wanted to choose our own caterer and bring in our own alcohol, but when it was all said and done, having it there ended up being more expensive. In addition, a couple of my guests (including my uncle who walked me down the aisle) was treated very rudely during the rehearsal and the wedding. She made us feel like we were intruding on her home; we did not feel welcome during the rehearsal (which costs an extra $250 for the half hour we were there) or the wedding. I very much got the impression that she did not want us there even though we paid $5000 to be there. I understand that worked very hard, and put in a lot of money into the house, but when we spend $5000 on the venue alone, I expect, at the very least, to at least feel welcome for being there. Overall, I don't regret having my wedding there because it was beautiful, but if I had to do it all over again, I would not of had my wedding here for the above reasons. I am not normally one to post poor reviews, and before my experience I have recommended this venue to many, but I feel like these are a few issues that brides and couples should be aware of before scheduling their wedding there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards