Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

When is the veil lifted?

Title to this post is pretty self explanatory. I have seen two different points in the ceremony that the veil is lifted. One, as the father of the bride gives her away, he raises the veil and kisses her cheek, she then says her vows to her husband unveiled. Two, The veil stays down the entire ceremony, through the promises and vows and only after the couple is pronounced husband and wife does the groom lift the veil to kiss his bride.

I am not sure which one I like best, so I guess my question is, personal preference aside, is one more traditional than the other, or are the differences associated with cultures or religions? I am a very traditional person, but my parents and family are not (strange, I know) so I was not raised one way or the other, I do not want to just pick the one I like if there are traditions and significance that I do not know about. Thank you for any help you can give me with this.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When is the veil lifted?

• My personal opinion is that blushers are outdated.  In practice, very few brides wear them at all anymore.  

If you do opt to wear one, you can lift it whenever you want.  It doesn't matter, there is no real significance, and no one really cares.  
  • If I was to wear a blusher, my preference would be for my dad to lift it as he gives me away.  However, despite my very-traditional-bride sensibilities, I am opting to go without blusher, and we are actually probably going to mount my veil right below my up-do.  :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • McHottsMcHotts member
    First Comment
    Yeah, I am not sure I like the blusher look, where it is just right over my face, I was thinking a two tiered veil with the back part used to cover my face, so that it is almost as long in front as it is in the back, I think that is a bit more modern while maintaining what I think of as a nice part of the traditional bridal look
  • I did not cover my face with the veil at all. I walked down the aisle staring at my hubby.
  •   I agree with PP. I want to be able to clearly look into my Fi's eyes as I walk down the aisle. I also want him to be able to see me. That would not be possible with a blusher.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I think the more traditional would be to wait until after the vows to have it lifted, since it was originally done in the days of arranged marriages to hide the bride's face so the groom couldn't back out after seeing her face.  However, I'm not sure if you really want to give a nod to that particular tradition :-P

I didn't wear a blusher because I don't like the symbolism, but if I had worn one I would have my dad lift it at the end of the aisle so I could see clearly for the ceremony.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've seen it done many ways - as soon as the bride gets to the altar, after the vows. My preference is to have no blusher, just have the veil behind you the entire time. I didn't like having it over my face and didn't want to be hidden in most of my ceremony photos.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veil-lifted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:21057636-185a-48ff-98cc-c6ddd4b627d5Post:1c28ce7d-7489-4b47-aa4b-e6d874700f36">Re: When is the veil lifted?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My personal opinion is that blushers are outdated.  In practice, very few brides wear them at all anymore.   If you do opt to wear one, you can lift it whenever you want.  It doesn't matter, there is no real significance, and no one really cares.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I voted other. I will have a 2-tier veil and have it cover my face as I walk into the church BUT before I walk down the aisle, my Dad will lift it. I want people to see my face and I want to see theirs! And like Stage said... I don't want my own hot breath blowing back at me. 

Side Note: I bought the 2-tier veil because it goes with my dress, otherwise, I would have just gotten 1 to go under my updo
  • Would it be weird to just leave it down the entire ceremony? I ask because I was watching an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress," and when the groom lifted it he messed it all up in the back. LOL I just don't think FI will be able to move nicely...won't have that on his mind. I was just thinking I'd make sure it doesn't come down over my lips...
  • Anne326Anne326 member
    First Comment
    Hi There, I am doing a blusher and am having my father lift it after he gives me away.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veil-lifted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:21057636-185a-48ff-98cc-c6ddd4b627d5Post:0e20b70f-e571-4e49-adf1-cba4703f5755">Re: When is the veil lifted?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I am not sure I like the blusher look, where it is just right over my face, I was thinking a two tiered veil with the back part used to cover my face, so that it is almost as long in front as it is in the back, I think that is a bit more modern while maintaining what I think of as a nice part of the traditional bridal look
    Posted by McHotts[/QUOTE]

I had a veil like that. The second layer was a little shorter than the "main" layer. However, I opted to just wear it back the whole time.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I have a 2 layer veil and I debated back and forth whether or not to use the blusher part or to wear it all back.  After the royal wedding I decided to use it.  However, I will have my dad lift it once we get to the end of the aisle.  I think it would annoy me to have it down the entire time, plus we are taking our first communion together and that would just be an accident waiting to happen if I waited to lift the veil!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • I'm wearing my blusher... for the pure fact that i want to look into my FI's eyes when I get to him.... I want to see his face when he first sees me, and I want my dad to give me away and I think that by removing my blusher it'll be more special, thats just my opinion
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veil-lifted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:21057636-185a-48ff-98cc-c6ddd4b627d5Post:b6b34c3e-1a31-4d64-9ea3-e38ba0393dff">Re: When is the veil lifted?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a 2 layer veil and I debated back and forth whether or not to use the blusher part or to wear it all back.  After the royal wedding I decided to use it.  However, I will have my dad lift it once we get to the end of the aisle.  I think it would annoy me to have it down the entire time, plus we are taking our first communion together and that would just be an accident waiting to happen if I waited to lift the veil!
    Posted by twixinthemix[/QUOTE]

agreed. I bought my dress about 8 months ago and its very simmilar to Kate's. the lace caps my shoulders, goes up to my collar bone (see through lace, not solid) and goes up my back. it's a Casablanca. anyways.. I bought my veil at the same time, cathedral length and it has a blusher. I loved the way it looked having 2 layers- not wearing the blusher over my face. but afte watching the royal wedding i thought it looked very traditional and loved it- since my wedding is a little more traditional. and my mom wore a blusher, which is why I had originaly considered it.
    but I am going to have my dad lift it as I get to the end of the aisle. Then I can have both looks and get the best of both worlds =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My daughters fiancé wants to be the one to lift her veil after they exchange vows. Not sure I like that. I would prefer no blusher or that I would lift it when I kiss her. It's not that u can't see their face because it's very sheer but for pictures I think it would be better without. Decisions decisions. I'm tired lol
  • figaro01 said:
    My daughters fiancé wants to be the one to lift her veil after they exchange vows. Not sure I like that. I would prefer no blusher or that I would lift it when I kiss her. It's not that u can't see their face because it's very sheer but for pictures I think it would be better without. Decisions decisions. I'm tired lol
    This thread is from 2.5 years ago. It's better to start your own thread by clicking "New Discussion" versus bumping old threads up to the top of the queue. If you want to discuss this, great. Just start a new thread.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards