Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Groom shouldn't see the dress, but what about accessories?

Hey, so just wondering if the tradition of the groom not being allowed to see the wedding dress before the wedding day applies to accessories as well? (I.E. veil, garter, shoes etc) I would think those things don't matter so much, but wanted to see what others thought, and input?

Re: Groom shouldn't see the dress, but what about accessories?

• My groom saw my dress before we got married. Our marriage is still valid. It's a silly superstition and it was what you make of it. Show him as much or as little as you want.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do whatever you like.  The only thing my FI hasn't seen is the dress and veil.  I like some element of surprise.  I don't care so much about the jewelry or shoes.  In fact, I've been wearing the shoes around the house to break them in, so he's seen those alot.  :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_groom-shouldnt-see-the-dress-but-what-about-accessories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ee242aa4-ed06-4f81-beb9-8b4be4408d7aPost:41bc8773-1053-46df-a292-d5b4c4df9a53">Re: Groom shouldn't see the dress, but what about accessories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My groom saw my dress before we got married. Our marriage is still valid. It's a silly superstition and it was what you make of it. Show him as much or as little as you want.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

My FI went dress shopping with me.  I love the dress more knowing that he loves it too.  Actually, he also helped pick out shoes, because he's nearly a foot taller than me and one of the big tests for any pair of shoes was how they affected our height difference.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_groom-shouldnt-see-the-dress-but-what-about-accessories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ee242aa4-ed06-4f81-beb9-8b4be4408d7aPost:92e85d94-1aa5-4cf6-9a3c-38fea181c4f3">Re: Groom shouldn't see the dress, but what about accessories?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do whatever you like.  The only thing my FI hasn't seen is the dress and veil.  I like some element of surprise.  I don't care so much about the jewelry or shoes. <strong> In fact, I've been wearing the shoes around the house to break them in, so he's seen those alot. </strong> :D
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fi has been going shopping with me, and has seen all the accessories as I buy them. I don't feel the need for it to be a surprise at all. Any and all is totally optional. Whatever you guys want will be fine!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm not following this tradition. While he won't be dress shopping with me, I still plan to show him the dress.  It's important to me that he likes it as much as I do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The tradition is based on the superstition that the groom should not see in bride in her dress on the day of the wedding. So yes, he can see the accessories... actually the dress too. But for some reason my FI loves suspense and won't look at anything. But your FI can look at the accesories if he wants to... and if you want him to :)
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He saw all my accessories. No biggie. 
    I needed his opinion & he helped. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards