Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies

I was just reading a thread on TN about preschools not allowing any peanut products into classrooms- this includes things processed in a plant that also processes peanuts.  Someone even mentioned that when they got cupcakes for the class, they had to buy them from a peanut-free bakery.

What do you guys think of this?  Do you think it's fair to the other kids if only 1 kid has a peanut allergy?  Or is it a fair sacrifice to keep that 1 kid safe?

I won't give my opinion just yet ;)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies

• Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    I ate a peanut butter sandwich for lunch literally every single day of elementary school. I can't imagine my childhood without peanut butter in schools.

I don't know though, these kids with allergies could die if they eat something contaminated, and they are probably too young to know exactly what is and is not good for them. Plus all the crazy rules about where in a school you can keep an epi pen and who can actually use it. I think disallowing peanut products is a much better solution overall than banning all outside food.
  • Options
    In any school that i've taught, there was usually a designated "peanut free" classroom for each grade.  If you had a peanut allergy you went into that class, and other students' parents signed forms saying they would follow the strict no peanut products guidelines.  If you didn't want to follow it, your kids was put into another class.  

I think having to agree to it is fine.   But really, if I was told I couldn't bring in peanuts and I hadn't signed up for it, I wouldn't really care, unless my kids refused to eat anything but PB&J.  Peanut allergies are no joke, so I completely understand taking extra precautions.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me in pre-schools, where I assume kids share things, might not wash their hands that well, and the allergic child is too young to be responsible for themselves.  This is assuming a child in the class has a peanut allergy - if its a blanket rule just because someone in some other class does, I think its ridiculous.

I have heard about similar rules at the middle school level, and I definitely think its ridiculous there.  At some point (and I'm not sure where, but its definitely somewhere between the age of 3 and 13), the kid needs to learn how to function in broader society, which does incude peanut butter.
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Honestly? It's unfortunate if anyone has any sort of allergy, but I think people take the peanut thing too far. Not allowing peanuts or peanut butter? Ok, I guess since it's a preschool I get it. But when you get to not allowing items that were processed in a place that also processes peanut products, that's a little much.  Plus I think the number of people that are that sensitive is quite small.

Kids should be taught that they can't expect the world be like that their whole lives and in every situation.

Edit: clarity
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's a hard line to draw.  What about gluten allergies, or milk allergies, etc?  Most schools around here are saying no to homemade snacks of any kind.
  • Options
    I guess it just seems difficult to me.  Even a lot of foods that seemingly have no relation to peanuts were processed in a place that processes peanuts.  For example, the gummy bears I am eating.  Also, the granola bars and oatmeal in my drawer.
  • Options
    What you are saying seems kind of excessive. My first year of teaching we had a student who had an airborne peanut allergy so no peanuts/butter on the bus, none in classrooms, I didn't even eat it for breakfast because I was paranoid, and we switch to almond butter and some other oil in the cafeteria.  And we had a peanut free zone in the cafeteria as well. 

But we weren't even that strict. Kids could bring their own PB sandwiches.  If people brought in food she just didn't eat it. 

Recently I sponsor our school play and I had to separate out peanut free snacks for a few of my kiddos.

I think that accomodations should really only be made when there is a student with severe allergies. That student has a legal right to attend public school in a safe environment. But if that is just the school's all the time policy that is stupid. 

That kid just doesn't get a cupcake, sucks to be him/her/storm.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:d7d05a56-32e0-4a80-b449-a88a6ddb3cfa">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly? It's unfortunate if anyone has any sort of allergy, but I think people take the peanut thing too far. Not allowing peanuts or peanut butter? Ok, I guess since it's a preschool I get it. <strong>But when you get to not allowing items that were processed in a place that also processes peanut products, that's a little much.</strong>  Plus I think the number of people that are that sensitive is quite small. Kids should be taught that they can't expect the world be like that their whole lives and in every situation. Edit: clarity
    Posted by pantherRN[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I understand someone with a deadly peanut allergy not eating something processed in a plant with peanuts. But to ban another kid in their class from eating it? Is a little much. Kids with allergies need to be taught not to eat food given to them by anyone except mom and dad and the teacher should help by being on the look out for kids sharing snacks.

Though really, I'm a little sad about the incidence of peanut allergies, as PB&J is a wholesome, protein-filled, vegetarian lunch option.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

Somebody needs to be spending massive amounts of time finding out why the eff every kid is allergic to peanuts these days.  It's craziness. 

And man, this discussion is more exciting than a barrel of monkeys.  Guess I should have posted about cash bars or vow renewals. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:383d4562-90f5-4a8a-911d-494710e22be5">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a hard line to draw.  What about gluten allergies, or milk allergies, etc?  Most schools around here are saying no to homemade snacks of any kind.
    Posted by andressfrank[/QUOTE]

Those types of allergies are rarely if ever deadly, though, the way nut and shellfish allergies can be, or even bee stings.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Has anyone else read Adam Carolla's In 50 Years, We'll All Be Chicks?  (I might be insane, but I have a serious crush on Adam Carolla.)  He talks about how in other countries, we use peanut meal to help cure malnutrition, but in the US, it feels like every classroom has at least one person with a deadly peanut allergy. 
  • Options
    The peanut thing has gone to far. Only 150 people a YEAR in the US die of a food allergy. The amount that die of a peanut allergy specifically is less. 

I know kids need to be protected from allergies, but I really think the parents exaggerate. Yes, it's scary when a kid goes into anaphylactic shock, but he/she should be carrying an epi-pen which almost always works. 

Kids are way more likely to die in a gun accident (over 1,000 a year), or even playing sports (2,000+ a year - mostly due to brain injuries). I think the whole allergy-death risk has been blown out of proportion. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    I want to know why every other kid has a peanut allergy now too. I don't think I knew anyone allergic when I was growing up.

• Options
    I think disallowing products produced in factories that contain peanuts into schools at all is crazy talk.  If I had a child with a peanut allergy, I guarantee that I would slap anyone who called it crazy talk.  So there's that. 
  • Options
    My nutrition text book hypothesizes that children are more allergic to peanuts and such because of increased hygiene.

What is the Hygiene Hypothesis?
    The Hygiene Hypothesis states that the more hygienic a society is, the more allergic they are as well. Studies suggest that the immune system in early infancy is primed to recognize and fight infections. In the absence of infections, the immune system begins to target innocuous items in the child’s diet and environment.

I think for one child in preschool it would be okay to ban peanut products but I don't know how I feel about higher grades.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:02e3ecf1-088d-4d0d-b909-493a503ff442">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]What you are saying seems kind of excessive. My first year of teaching we had a student who had an airborne peanut allergy so no peanuts/butter on the bus, none in classrooms, I didn't even eat it for breakfast because I was paranoid, and we switch to almond butter and some other oil in the cafeteria.  And we had a peanut free zone in the cafeteria as well.  But we weren't even that strict. Kids could bring their own PB sandwiches.  If people brought in food she just didn't eat it.  Recently I sponsor our school play and I had to separate out peanut free snacks for a few of my kiddos. I think that accomodations should really only be made when there is a student with severe allergies. That student has a legal right to attend public school in a safe environment. But if that is just the school's all the time policy that is stupid.  That kid just doesn't get a cupcake, sucks to be <strong>him/her/storm</strong>.
    Posted by DNAtime[/QUOTE]

hahaha...I read that article the other day.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • Options
    Some people say that the allergies are due to us avoiding things too much, particularly during pregnancy.  It's hard to get your body used to something if you're never exposed to it.  We're so germphobic these days- wipe down cart handles, use the paper liner on the toilet, antibacterial soap and Purell, etc- we don't expose ourselves or our kids to anything and they have ZERO immune system.

I've been purposely eating peanuts in hope that it will prevent a peanut allergy.  Worth trying at least!
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:a810b957-be94-4695-9e68-0ee880a3244d">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]My nutrition text book hypothesizes that children are more allergic to peanuts and such because of increased hygiene. What is the Hygiene Hypothesis? The Hygiene Hypothesis states that the more hygienic a society is, the more allergic they are as well. Studies suggest that the immune system in early infancy is primed to recognize and fight infections. In the absence of infections, the immune system begins to target innocuous items in the child’s diet and environment. I think for one child in preschool it would be okay to ban peanut products but I don't know how I feel about higher grades.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

I figured it was probably something like this. Playing in the mud will be mandatory for my future children. I can't live a life without peanut butter.
  • Options
    Or you know, what ricks said.
  • Options
    My parents subscribed to the hygiene hypothesis but took it way too far. I ended up with a terrible immune system and chronic illnesses because I got sick so often as a baby/toddler. They basically let me get as germy as I wanted to. 

If any of you are considering limiting purell and things like that - great - but don't go overboard! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:744d74e0-b051-49e0-8d1e-8222076e1d9f">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or you know, what ricks said.
    Posted by RobotLegs[/QUOTE]

LOL You were on the right track too!

I couldn't imagine being allergic to PB. It's my fav food and I eat about a jar a week.
  • Options
    Nuts are such an awesome source of protein, especially for picky kids. 
  • Options
    I have a peanut allergy but it not deadly by any extent. When I was younger, I don't remember there ever being any sort of separation for kids w/ peanut allergies. It was just, you either got the food being brought in or you didn't based on if there were peanuts. That said, I agree that the policy is going too far.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:a3e8582b-d976-4d1b-a487-70cfb5cf3375">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nuts are such an awesome source of protein, especially for picky kids. 
    Yup!
  • Options
    Its outrageous. When I was growing up, no such thing existed. Personal opinion is that we baby kids these days. Have some faith in your kids. My fiance was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 6 and was almost completely taking care of himself immediately because his parents stepped up to the plate and taught him the importance of it. I feel the same should hold true of kids with peanut allergies. Maybe its just me, but even at 4 or 5, I feel like if you teach a kid the importance of avoiding something that could kill him or her, he or she should get it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:4037bb25-0e86-410b-b832-ac44c2360d69">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people say that the allergies are due to us avoiding things too much, particularly during pregnancy.  It's hard to get your body used to something if you're never exposed to it.  We're so germphobic these days- wipe down cart handles, use the paper liner on the toilet, antibacterial soap and Purell, etc- we don't expose ourselves or our kids to anything and they have ZERO immune system.<strong> I've been purposely eating peanuts in hope that it will prevent a peanut allergy.  Worth trying at least!</strong>

Agreed! I'm also glad we have cats and will have cats when our kids are born because babies are less likely to develop pet allergies if they are around pets (pet allergies don't show up until about 18 months of age).
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-obvi-lets-talk-kids-peanut-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f76e1e5-ef12-402b-b68f-e351a0c4c0b1Post:a810b957-be94-4695-9e68-0ee880a3244d">Re: NWR, obvi. Let's talk kids & peanut allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]My nutrition text book hypothesizes that children are more allergic to peanuts and such because of increased hygiene. What is the Hygiene Hypothesis? The Hygiene Hypothesis states that the more hygienic a society is, the more allergic they are as well. Studies suggest that the immune system in early infancy is primed to recognize and fight infections. In the absence of infections, the immune system begins to target innocuous items in the child’s diet and environment. I think for one child in preschool it would be okay to ban peanut products but I don't know how I feel about higher grades.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

You know, Polio only became a big problem as hygiene improve. It's been stated that very small infants/children used to be exposed to less-severe forms early on and fought it off, therefore developing an immunity. But in the 20th century, with more cleanliness and proper sewage, people weren't exposed and being exposed to polio later had really bad consequences.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I haven't read any responses just yet b/c I'm heading out the door to the gym.  BUT.  Jocelyn's school is peanut free.  For classroom parties you have to make sure to read labels.  If you bring fruit you can't cut it up until you get to the school and things like that.  One of the boys in Jocelyn's class has a sister that has a severe peanut allergy.  She ate peanut butter and jelly all the time and then just one day when she was like 3.5 she got really sick and was just allergic from that day forward. 

To me that just means that that could happen to any kid.  I mean how unbelievably scary.  Sure it's a hassle when you forget to look at a label and realize once you're home that the candy hearts you bought "might" have been contaminated (yes, that happened to me) I mean who'd think candy hearts and peanuts?  But whatever.  Anyhow, I do not feel it limits anything that Jocelyn's school does and it does not inconvenience me in such a way that I would prefer she went to a school that did allow peanut products. 

• Options
    An allergic reaction may occur if you inhale dust or aerosols containing peanuts. My son has a horrible allergy to peanuts.If my son is sitting next to a kid who has peanuts or peanut butter and he inhales the dust from it he could die and sometimes the epi pen doesnt work. My sons school has a peanut free table in the lunch room and I gave a list of things he can not eat to his teacher. I am the homeroom parent for his class so I dont have to worry all that much.
  • Options
    overloaded - I'm curious about when the accommodations for your son should/will stop.  How old is he?  Certainly, he has the right to go to school safely and it sounds like a lot of measures are necessary for him.  But do kids eventually outgrow this, or (as an extreme example), will there one day be no baked goods allowed in his office at work when he's 30?  Or in his high school when he's 17 (since kids move around school in high school, and I assume it woudn't be enough just to have a single peanut-free room).

I hope this doesn't sound snarky.  I'm honestly curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards