Second Weddings

Hello and question

Hi everyone!  My name is Kim and I'm getting married in Sept.  I'm a mother of 3 and this will be his second wedding as well (although he eloped the first time). 

So to sum up our planning.  I was planning a small ceremony with cake and champagne toast.  Apparently this wasn't good enought for my future MIL who insisted that 'people will want to be fed'.  So to appease her and FI we planned a bigger party.  So now we've invited 90 something people and only 20 will be showing up (maybe).  But now we have a DJ/live singer/violinist and a sit down dinner... for 20 people.... I feel, well embarrassed and depressed about how few people will come. 

Do you think I'm putting too much thought into this?  Have you ever been to a reception that was small?

Kim

Kim Mom to DD - 9 Twin DS - 6 Missing my march baby and trying to pick up the pieces.

Re: Hello and question

• I think what you've planned sounds lovely.  We are also doing a sit-down dinner - no music though - the sit-down is at a restaurant's private dining room.  I have 7 guests... mother, grandmother, father, step-mother, FIL's and my future step-daughter who is my maid of honor and only attendant ;)   Curious how you're going from 90 to 20 - that's all that responded to invites?
  • I had a lot of courtesy invites to my side of the family including my brother, I knew they wouldn't come.  It's fine.  Not sure what's up with the others.

You're having what I wanted!

Kim Mom to DD - 9 Twin DS - 6 Missing my march baby and trying to pick up the pieces.
  • I sincerely hope your future MIL is paying for part of the party she is making you throw.

It will be fine, don't stress. Enjoy the day with those that do show and good luck.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Well, I think if you're doing this because our future MIL pushed you into it, then yes, you're putting too much thought into it.  You accepted her direction, so just find a way to be okay with it. 

I have not been to a reception with that number of people, but do not think anything's wrong with it.  If you have not received replies yet, don't assume head count.  You never know who will make the commitment to show until you actually hear from them.

Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_hello-and-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:f564cd58-5a2b-41d1-ab5d-30117ea343c6Post:7fb4282b-1296-48bd-92b1-806ed21a781e">Re: Hello and question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sincerely hope your future MIL is paying for part of the party she is making you throw. It will be fine, don't stress. Enjoy the day with those that do show and good luck.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

No, lol... and this morning she wanted FI to come over to 'work off' some of the debt he owes her.  5 years ago he borrowed 1k to pay off his ex for their boat the co-owned.  Famiy and money never mix.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards