Getting in Shape
Options

Starting Bikram yoga and I'm a little nervous!

I'm going to start my first class soon, and I'm a little nervous about what to expect. I've taken regular yoga several times in the past and used to be a modern dancer, so I'm not concerned about the movement....but the HEAT! Any tips from those who have tried this before? I know some people rave about it and others say they'll never go back haha! I'd love to know what to expect and what I can do to make it the best experience.

Re: Starting Bikram yoga and I'm a little nervous!

• Options
    I love it! As a fairly UNflexible athlete my through college (volleyball, softball)... I too was SUPER nervous to try yoga! You have previous experience with that so I'll just talk heat. Personally, I did not hydrate well enough before my first class and my feet and hands were numb by the end of the class. Super dizzy too. But you just get back in the room again as soon as you can (the next day for me) and try again! Just push fluids! Don't eat a huge meals before and stop drinking a little before so you don't have to pee in the middle of practice! Now I can't imagine/won't do yoga any other way! Namaste :)
  • Options
    Drink lots of water !
    :)
  • Options
    I lot hot yoga, but sometimes I get a little light-headed.  Drink water, but don't drink it as a crutch or that's when you might get light-headed.  If you feel like you need a break, take child's pose.  Since you already have a yoga background I think you will enjoy it.  Different studios and teachers use different levels of heat, so you may have to find one that works best for you.  Look at the ceiling to see where the heat is and try to go to the opposite side.  My studio is in a two-car garage converted, so I go by the garage doors because they are as far away as possible from the heat vents.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I practice hot yoga 4 -5 days a week, and it really is all about hydrating yourself. Drink plenty of water leading up to class, and drink a lot afterwards...I know several instructors who swear by a bottle of coconut water after class to help replenish some of the electrolytes that you lose. Like Mercy said, if you're worried about the heat, try to stay away from the vents. And good wicking clothes help you feel cooler...you don't have to go all Lululemon head to toe since that stuff is pretty pricey, but I've found some tops and pants from Target that seem to do the trick pretty well. I've also found in my time practicing that I actually feel cooler wearing form fitting clothes, instead of the typical looser fitting yoga pants. Lastly, don't ever be too proud to take child's pose as often as you need to...this will really help when the heat starts to hit you.
  • Options
    I absolutely love hot yoga! My advice would be to drink plenty of water before, during, and after.  I actually feel more comfortable in moisture-wicking capris and long pants than I do in shorts.  Don't push yourself if you feel dizzy.  I love love love that hot yoga helps my muscles' flexibility - moving into various poses and stretches actually feel a LOT better for me during hot yoga.  Have fun!
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else.  Drink a lot of water throughout the day, but not too much beforehand, and definitely don't eat much beforehand.  I got nauseated during my first class, but not at all after that.  I just finished up with a month unlimited (had a groupon) and did enjoy it, but it's just too spendy to keep up with.  Not to mention all the laundry!  But its great as something different to do to mix up your routine.  I wore tight yoga shorts and a tank top, but most of the girls there just wore a sports bra, so do that if you're comfortable with it.  One tip that my instructor said during my first class was not to wipe the sweat away during class.  Just let yourself sweat and it'll keep you cooler. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards