Students

LSAT (October), Law School Applications and planning a wedding??!

What was I thinking?? YellI kind of put the wedding planning on hold for a bit to get my head straight. *sigh*

Is anyone else in this boat with me? Lol

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: LSAT (October), Law School Applications and planning a wedding??!

• Are you on the forums on Top-Law-Schools.com? My fiance found them very helpful. He wishes he'd joined them sooner.

His GPA was low (3.1? 3.2?) so he needed really high LSAT scores and got lucky he was able to acheive it. He's half black so that gave him a leg up (minority status really makes a difference for law school, it seems), but he didn't apply until November, and we both believe that hurt his chances for NYU/Columbia (which I assume are on your list since you're outer borough?). He's still headed to a good school, he just wishes he could have stayed in NYC. 

My advice: do whatever you can to get a high LSAT score and then apply as soon as you possibly can. Eff the wedding until you've got that under control because what law school you end up at will really determine how easy it is to get a job after graduation. (A common party line on TLS is "T-14 or bust" unfortunately.) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_lsat-october-law-school-applications-and-planning-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:acaeffab-cc0b-4b24-9a07-cbba0cff459aPost:d058b0c1-4577-430c-81cf-ba16769b67fd">Re: LSAT (October), Law School Applications and planning a wedding??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you on the forums on Top-Law-Schools.com? My fiance found them very helpful. He wishes he'd joined them sooner. His GPA was low (3.1? 3.2?) so he needed really high LSAT scores and got lucky he was able to acheive it. He's half black so that gave him a leg up (minority status really  makes a difference for law school, it seems), but he didn't apply until November, and we both believe that hurt his chances for NYU/Columbia (which I assume are on your list since you're outer borough?). He's still headed to a good school, he just wishes he could have stayed in NYC.  My advice: do whatever you can to get a high LSAT score and then apply as soon as you possibly can . Eff the wedding until you've got that under control because what law school you end up at will really determine how easy it is to get a job after graduation. (A common party line on TLS is "T-14 or bust" unfortunately.) 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks! I'm joining the TLS boards as we speak. I do plan on applying to NYU. I've been enrolled in a LSAT prep course since March so I am doing my damnedest on that front.

The wedding planning is on the back burner until December. I didn't think that minority status really counted, I'll keep that in mind but I'll definitely focus o0n getting that high LSAT score.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Lawyer and fairly recent law school grad here. IMO, TLS is pretty much hell on the internet, where type A people go to try and find meaning in meaningless minutia to try and assess their chances of getting into a given school. I wouldn't give it too much weight, though it can be helpful for roommate finding and other networking once you've been admitted to a school. That said, T14 or bust is true. The best advice for getting into law school is to have at least two of the following three things: good grades, good LSAT scores, and good work experience. If you're hurting on one or several, early applications and early decision programs are the way to go. Good luck, and I agree not to worry too much about wedding planning until you're done with the LSAT.
  • I am in the same boat! I am taking my LSAT's in October and have not planned as much as I should be this far out. Planning has been given charge to myy fiance  who was more than happy to help with the planning- at least everywhere he could. Take a load off and let people who offer their help, help plan the wedding in small ways. After all every little bit helps.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_lsat-october-law-school-applications-and-planning-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:acaeffab-cc0b-4b24-9a07-cbba0cff459aPost:960736cf-a9e0-4613-a55b-edc2c17fd53f">Re:LSAT October, Law School Applications and planning a wedding??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lawyer and fairly recent law school grad here. IMO, TLS is pretty much hell on the internet, where type A people go to try and find meaning in meaningless minutia to try and assess their chances of getting into a given school. I wouldn't give it too much weight, though it can be helpful for roommate finding and other networking once you've been admitted to a school. That said, T14 or bust is true. The best advice for getting into law school is to have at least two of the following three things: good grades, good LSAT scores, and good work experience. If you're hurting on one or several, early applications and early decision programs are the way to go. Good luck, and I agree not to worry too much about wedding planning until you're done with the LSAT.
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

<div>FI is headed to law school in DC. Did you by chance to go law school there? (I ask because I see your area listed as DC.) </div><div>
    </div><div>TLS seems psychotic, but for my non-Type-A fiance, it was the kick he needed to realize that being a genius will no longer be enough in law school.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards