April 2013 Weddings

Anyone's budget in trouble?

We're cutting it REALLY close in terms of our budget.  Just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat.

Everything was going well until I realized I never budgeted for alterations, and didn't realize how expensive it would be for FI to rent his suit.  Then FI's family withdrew their promise of financial help (an unfortunate necessity that we totally understand) and we ended up having to buy a second car, leaving us with 2 car payments now.  Blecch!

Tell me I'm not the only one freaking out about money right now.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Anyone's budget in trouble?

• Yes...especially now because we might be adding 30 more people to our already outrageous guest list. I'm starting to freak.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea I'm pretty sure we will blow our budget by 1000. If we have fewer than 150 people show up then we might squeak by. Luckily we saved more that we needed for the wedding so we could loan my fam some money and have enough time to make it back up before the wedding. We would still like to come in under budget and use that other money for the honeymoon and/or future house.
  • Yes, I get stressed out (more like freaked out)thinking about it.. at this point it is what it is we will find a way to make it work. Our "magic" number we are hoping for is 130. We can comfortable afford that along with our vendors.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're in the same boat. We found out that I'm pregnant this month and that's changed our budget a lot. Also, my FI got his hours cut tremendously so he hasn't been able to contribute to the wedding account in over two months. I just keep telling myself I will figure out everything after the wedding but that probably isn't the best philosophy ..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
  • Oh yes!  We will be saving right up until the paycheck before the wedding!  Not so much for the wedding, but the honeymoon - It is way more expensive than I thought and our wedding is small and on a Thursday.  I am not sure how people afford large weekend weddings!!  Phoenix is expensive though.  :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • edited January 2013
    We stayed under only because we cut the wedding to  25 people! When it was the full size we would have gone over by 3-4 grand! But it is crazy how much we ARE spending for just 25, but it's because the music, pictures, dress/alterations and everything that goes with the outfit, music and random little things didn't really change that much! Only the food and flowers went down. Weddings are so expensive, it's just insane...

I'm grateful because my mom gave us money that covered the wedding and our mini-moon. We just paid for rings and some random little things. But we have money issues going on as well that I'm looking forward to tackling when we get married and everything is combined!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just spent 30 minutes staring at my budget spreadsheet hoping the numbers would magically go down.  Unfortunately I don't think it helped. lol  

FI and I are hoping we both get our tax refunds and his bonus before the wedding.  If not I think I will be eating Ramen noodles for every meal.  I had to have emergency surgery in November and that bill came up way too quickly and so now we are suffering.  That and the fact that my FMIL just added another 4 to the guest list at over $100 per head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's more than I wanted for sure, but I actually set our budget kind of unreasonably low in the hopes that in trying to fit that budget, I'd end up spending closer to what I reasonably wanted to. I haven't done too badly but we have hit a few things recently that have made my head spin. I totally didn't budget right for our dance lessons which is a couple hundred dollars I didn't plan on spending. And flights for our honeymoon are going to be about $500 more than I was originally thinking. And when planning for flowers I somehow, stupidly, was thinking of 10 tops not 8 tops so...that's going to be another 8 centerpieces (at most...hopefully less...oh please less...).

Luckily, our guest list is set so I at least have some time to adjust my expectations!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_anyones-budget-in-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e517db09-2058-4972-9157-7d586be46bf4Post:87bd05a2-b418-4a59-9a32-54786254b25d">Re: Anyone's budget in trouble?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We stayed under only because we cut the wedding to  25 people! When it was the full size we would have gone over by 3-4 grand! But it is crazy how much we ARE spending for just 25, but it's because the music, pictures, dress/alterations and everything that goes with the outfit, music and random little things didn't really change that much! Only the food and flowers went down. Weddings are so expensive, it's just insane... I'm grateful because my mom gave us money that covered the wedding and our mini-moon. We just paid for rings and some random little things. But we have money issues going on as well that I'm looking forward to tackling when we get married and everything is combined!
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

25 people? you lucky b*tch. I'd give anything to have it just be 25. Our's is 25 plus 300 lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yep. ours too.  We had everything budgeted out to the penny, but then after the 1st of the year both of our paychecks took a good size hit. Mine was mainly due to the social security increase, but FI lost over $700 from his pay this month that was earmarked for the wedding.  Basically, his company decided to switch from 24 pay periods to 26 and readjusted paychecks. Of course, it won't even out until May. Which doesn't help us now. And our rent increased! But we are squeaking by and should be able to make it.  We are expecting news any day now about an inhertaince my dad is supposed to recieve from one of his uncles that passed last year. Assuming that money comes through before the wedding, my parents said the can pitch in to cover some of the difference. So fingers crossed. 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_anyones-budget-in-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e517db09-2058-4972-9157-7d586be46bf4Post:8f54fc86-8844-471f-af37-5f7e23bedfb9">Re: Anyone's budget in trouble?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone's budget in trouble? : 25 people? you lucky b*tch. I'd give anything to have it just be 25. Our's is 25 plus 300 lol.
    Posted by shanding4787[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah I have to say it's been super easy planning once I switched it up. But we had origianlly planed a 80 person wedding and everyone knew about it. We didn't send save the dates, but still - it was not fun telling everyone, nevermind! Everyone was disappointed, but got it. But yeah- a bit easier now haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've already had to increase my budget by a grand, and I'm about $300 over that increased number now too. Thankfully a lot of the "big stuff" is out of the way, and the end is in sight! As long as I stop hemmoraging money after the wedding, it will all be ok.
    With wedding cash/checks, and the honeymoon guessing game out of the picture, we then slide into May with a 3 paycheck month for me... should be just fine in the end.

I'm very grateful my family decided to pitch in financially though, FI had to take a huge pay cut after getting laid off late last year and this wouldn't have been possible without that help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

April 2013 March Siggy - Bridesmaid Dress

• I'm probably almost 3k over budget already... I still have a lot more to pick out/price out so it may not be that much.... but that's what I'm projecting!
  • We're about $1k under right now, our bar is by consumption and we budgeted on the high end so we might be under a little more. Still spending an absurd amount for 17 people though. Our honeymoon is a different story I think we'll be over a few hundred there but I'm totally ok with that.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ha. We're already about 9k over budget. By budget I mean when we first started planning and came up with a number in our heads of what we wanted to spend on the wedding. Back when we thought it'd be 100 people. We've got closer to 160 people on the list now, HOPING AND PRAYING it bottoms out around 130 when all is said and done, but who knows.. maybe it being a Friday will weed some people out, as sad as that sounds.

We ended up losing a good chunk of money too out of FI paycheck due to the social security cut being taken away. I don't work because I'm a full time nursing student, so obviously I'm of no financial help. His parents are helping out SO much but I'm irritated at the fact they offered to pay for a few things and then never came through. They can.. but just haven't for some reason. And I mean, its no problem if you don't want to. But I just can't stand when people say theyll do something and dont come through, money or otherwise. 

Every other day I wonder, how are we going to come up with all of the money we still owe.. I mean, when we budget it out it makes sense, but I just want it in a pile of cash, on my lap, ready to be distributed to who needs it. 

Definitely one of the things we've been stressing about the most. I will feel SO relieved when all of our vendors are paid in full..
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ultimately we will be under the number we came up with, but it is still a crapload of money to spend on the wedding. Both of our parents gave us a gift of money so that will help out tons. We are planning a 'budget' wedding with everything BUT the reception because that cost is so high. It kind of makes me sick at how much all of this stuff costs!
  • Oh yeah, my original budget was so unrealistic that I've had to keep adjusting it.  Overall I feel like I will have a really fun wedding and didn't go too overboard so I'm happy ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MARCH SIGGY CHALLENGE (for April 2013 brides): Bridesmaid dresses Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards