Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Summer 2013 - am I crazy?

Hi all - I thought I'd throw this message out there to see if any brides or brides-to-be have advice about planning a Cape Cod wedding in under a year. I'd like to do a summer wedding and just got engaged a few weeks ago - so my options are to "rush" it in 10 months or to wait almost two years to get married. There are a few reception venues with summer 2013 availability - but is that too soon? Does anyone who's planned a Cape Cod wedding have any advice on this time table? I have a lot of research and information done already (I'm from the area) and might check out some venues in two weeks, but I'm a little nervous about having less than a year to tie everything down! Any thoughts or help appreciated, thanks!

Re: Summer 2013 - am I crazy?

• try for a Friday or Sunday wedding if you cant find an available Saturday, 10 months is not bad but you should try to secure your venue asap
  • clage22clage22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    If you've done a good amount of research and know what you want, I would think you could definiely get it all together in time for next summer. My advice to you is to make a list of options for: ceremony location, reception location, photographer, DJ/Band, florist, hair stylist, etc and then contact each of them to find out if they all have the same date available. If you are able to find everyone you need with the same dates available, then you definitely can get it all together by then, especially since you live locally! Hope this helps and good luck with the planning! I will tell you...although I had 14 months to plan my wedding, I actually planned it all in about 1.5 months once the venue was secured and that was only 8 months before my wedding. 
  • Have you ever thought of a wedding during the week ? My fiancé is from The UK weekday weddings are the norm all throughout Europe. You can have a long week end using Friday or Monday
  • You can definately pull it off stress free! I didnt start planning until Feb 2012 for my Nov 3 wedding in the cape!! We got engaged last october an didnt even decide we wanted to have the wedding this year until Feb. Once you book vendors the rest is details... Do start dress shopping though if you havent already! Dresses can take 6-8 months, which i didnt realize.
  • mvaughan1129mvaughan1129 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Thank you all so much, this is so helpful! I'll start making lists for the major categories so I'm prepared. Hopefully, once I can tie down a reception venue date, I can immediately ask other vendors about their availability. I'm also considering a Friday wedding.

• MV - you can certainly do it.  My rec would be to look for reception venues that also serve the food (heck, mine did the cake, too) - getting a place that does it all might cost a bit more, but it's a handful less vendors to locate and deal with.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Friday weddings are great! They are also a little cheaper than a normal Saturday afternoon or evening wedding...definitely worth looking to!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can definitely pull it off; you may have to take your second choice on a couple of vendors but that doesn't mean that you're sacrificing much ... it's doable.  Go get em.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_summer-2013-am-i-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:0152cd0c-ee23-428c-a028-fe1e31766bd6Post:84198f8d-b97f-470a-b5dc-ab42d4f92785">Summer 2013 - am I crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all - I thought I'd throw this message out there to see if any brides or brides-to-be have advice about planning a Cape Cod wedding in under a year. I'd like to do a summer wedding and just got engaged a few weeks ago - so my options are to "rush" it in 10 months or to wait almost two years to get married. There are a few reception venues with summer 2013 availability - but is that too soon? Does anyone who's planned a Cape Cod wedding have any advice on this time table? I have a lot of research and information done already (I'm from the area) and might check out some venues in two weeks, but I'm a little nervous about having less than a year to tie everything down! Any thoughts or help appreciated, thanks!
    Posted by mvaughan1129[/QUOTE]

You can absolutely pull it off! We got engaged August 2012 and married May 2012. That was 9 months and we were married on the Vineyard. We had venue, photographer, flowers, and officiant booked in about a month. The rest I just took time over the winter to do (table cards, center pieces, etc). Once you have the big things, the rest falls into place. Wedding planning isn't that complicated.
  • Thanks again everyone! We're going for it - secured a venue for August 17th, 2013. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards