Pre-wedding Parties

Lingerie shower? Is there a difference?

So, one of my bridesmaids keeps mentioning a lingerie shower. She's told me in the past (before I was engaged) about going to them, and has since asked me for my current sizes for reference for mine....

Trouble is, I've never been to one, and I'm not entirely sure I get the concept. 

Is it a completely separate party from the bridal shower or bach party? 

(I've been to a few bridal showers where lingerie was bought as a gag gift, which is why I ask)

I just didn't know if people who have lingerie parties did 3 separate parties (bridal, bach, and lingerie) or had some combination.

Any tips on etiquette here? B/C apparently I'm supposed to be having one of these and I have no idea what the deal is Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lingerie shower? Is there a difference?

• edited December 2011
    This is simply a theme shower. Whether or not you will get another shower or bachelorette party will be up to your friends or family members. If you have more than one shower, though don't invite the same guest to all because that will look gift grabby.

Apparently, your BM intends to list your sizes on the the shower invitations so that the guests can purchase lingerie for you. Then Grandma (and whoever else is invited) gets to watch you unwrap sexy lingerie at the party. This would make me feel uncomfortable.

Maybe this kind of party would work better as a bachelorette party.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_lingerie-shower-there-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:4b8fab28-0db0-4598-9fba-feb94808e4cdPost:03557a11-c5aa-4cb9-a413-4ccb4ada7b3b">Re: Lingerie shower? Is there a difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe this kind of party would work better as a bachelorette party.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That is kind of what I was thinking! I haven't had a chance to talk to said BM since I started thinking about this..... She went to several, but she was in a sorority and it was usually her sorority sisters parties, and they were all in the house that they lived it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Usually when I've gone to bridal showers, they're the all inclusive, everyone you know kind of parties, and people (usually) buy you things from your registry. That way the couple actually gets more of what they register for, and, well.... need. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not against having a lingerie party (I'm not one to buy it for myself, so it could be fun!) but I don't want grandma invited! </div><div>
    </div><div>I think I might ask said BM how she's doing her own (her wedding is a month before mine). My MOH is a Pure Romance consultant, so a sexy toy bachelorette party would pair well with a Lingerie party......

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scpalmtree06scpalmtree06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP.  Is this going to be your only shower?  If it is, and you'd prefer simply an open registry shower where people buy you things for your home, then you should speak up now and verbalize that to whomever is planning the shower so that she knows.  If you're having more than one shower, then perhaps the registry shower could be just for family members, etc., whereas the lingerie shower could be for your friends.
  • edited December 2011
    My shower's theme was "Linens, Lace, and Lingerie."  I basically got a bunch of lingerie, some towels, and a few other things that fit that description.  However, I didn't have a problem with my grandma seeing me open lingerie.  I honestly don't use most of the stuff, but I kind of feel that since a shower is a gift, it's really up to the hostess what theme they pick.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • edited December 2011

I've been to a few showers recently where the bride's measurements/sizes were listed on the shower along with the places she was registered, and she recieved mostly registry gifts and a few tasteful nighties and baby-dolls.  Personally, I don't have a problem with unwrapping that stuff in front of my mom, and I'm purposely holding off lingerie shopping until after the shower for that reason.

However, if you are uncomfortable with the idea, let your MOH know now before the invites go out.  

murrayed
  • edited December 2011
    When I was MOH for my best friend we did a more traditional shower: we just listed where she registered and encouraged people to get gifts from there. Then when the bachelorette party came around the other girls and I went and got her a few sexy pieces of lingerie to open up. She didn't want to open that type of stuff in front of her grandma or mom either.

The lingerie parties I've been too really only seemed to include the younger ladies attending the wedding or in the bridal party.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having a bridal shower and a bachlorette party! We are doing the lingerie shower and bachlorette party together as one! This way we aren't doing the whole lingerie thing infront of all my family and soon to be in-laws! We will keep that part for just "the girls"!! Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards