Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Name Change with a twist

To start off this is my first post. I have lurked some and responded to some stuff. 

I have gone by my middle name since I was born. I was named after my mom but my dad said it would be too confusing to have two people going by the same name so I went by my middle name. Now  that I'm planning on getting married I am thinking that I am going to completely drop my legal first name and go by Middle name Maiden Name FI's Last Name. I'm worried that this was complicate the matter of getting my name changed because I will be dropping my legal first name. I need help girls!!   

June2012 Siggy for March:Honeymoon in Panama City Beach
image 288 Invited so far!
image 48 Are ready to party!
image 34 Will be missing out!
image 206 Are MIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Name Change with a twist

• I would discuss this with whomever is working when you purchase your marriage license at the probate court (or call them if you want to know sooner.) It's something that could vary from state to state. For example, some states might require to actually appear in court to legally drop your first name, while others might allow it more easily.

You could try posting on your local board to see if anyone has experience in this area, but I think you're better off talking to someone who knows the specific laws of Tennessee.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • You could also google something like

name change Virginia (or whatever state you are in)
    legal name change Ohio

I think you can easily find the laws for your state if you look for them.
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I think you would need a legal name change, but just call the clerk of court. This is completely state specific. Also try to google the state statute that governs this in your state. Only the local clerk of court or a local lawyer can tell you for sure.

If you do have to petition the court, the clerk might have a standard form that you just fill in the specifics. Plus, you may have to pay a filing fee and the clerk can tell you the amount.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I agree with the pp's.

But I don't think it will be a problem. You just have to make the change with the social security office and get a new ss card. There have been plenty of ladies on TK and even TN that have done what you are wanting to do. I have never heard of going before the courts before, but I dunno. I think you only have to do that if you are divorced and have to pay to change your name back to your maiden name. In this case, you are getting married and most people change some aspect of their name(s) when they get married.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-twist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:99cbf378-466e-40b5-9d5b-f413782da7edPost:6d7229d1-6480-4b3b-8f38-6cd348e2b9f3">Re: Name Change with a twist</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the pp's. But I don't think it will be a problem. You just have to make the change with the social security office and get a new ss card. There have been plenty of ladies on TK and even TN that have done what you are wanting to do. I have never heard of going before the courts before, but I dunno. I think you only have to do that if you are divorced and have to pay to change your name back to your maiden name. In this case, you are getting married and most people change some aspect of their name(s) when they get married.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

But she is changing her <span style="text-decoration:underline;">first</span> name which is unusual. She definitely needs to talk to a clerk and/or lawyer to make she knows the proper procedure.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • My middle name wasn't "legal"...it wasn't on my birth certificate.  When I got married, I put it on the paperwork and no one asked.

My mom, however, changed her first name on her 50th birthday in Illinois.  She had to go to court and they published an announcement three weeks in a row.  The court said that they do it to make sure you aren't changing your name to get out of debts or something.

I'd go to the court and ask.  Better safe than sorry!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Ok thanks everyone. I'm getting married in June of 2012 so I'm going to try to get all of this worked out before we get married so I'm not having to worry about anything around the wedding! Thanks!!!

June2012 Siggy for March:Honeymoon in Panama City Beach
    image 288 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 34 Will be missing out!
    image 206 Are MIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Changing your last name because of a marriage is one thing.  Legally changing your first name is a much bigger deal.   I couldn't just show up at the Social Security Administration and tell them, "I want to change my name to Julia Roberts."  Unless it is because of marriage, changing any aspect of your name (first or last) involves going through the court system.  I was told at the SSA that middle names are not legal, so it's not going to be a quick switch of dropping your first name and making your middle name legal.

You have plenty of time to get it worked out, but it will involve more than just going to Social Security and filling out an identification change form.
  • At least in the some states the marriage license is only valid for changing you last name.  And then only to your name, his name, hyphenated names, or another combination of the two.  Other names changes do involve the courts.  They don't always (depending on where you live) require you to go before a judge but I have heard of it happening.  Espeically if you are going for something unconventional. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-twist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:99cbf378-466e-40b5-9d5b-f413782da7edPost:6d7229d1-6480-4b3b-8f38-6cd348e2b9f3">Re: Name Change with a twist</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the pp's. But I don't think it will be a problem. You just have to make the change with the social security office and get a new ss card. There have been plenty of ladies on TK and even TN that have done what you are wanting to do. I have never heard of going before the courts before, but I dunno. I think you only have to do that if you are divorced and have to pay to change your name back to your maiden name. In this case, you are getting married and most people change some aspect of their name(s) when they get married.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

I know in my state (CA) you can change your middle name or last name. But within reason. Either party can change their middle or last name to their or their partner's current or previous/birth middle or last name, a combination of a birth/current last name, a hyphenated name, or no change at all. It covers most things most people want to change when they get married. But not your first name. I also know in NY you cannot change your middle name without going to court.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-twist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:99cbf378-466e-40b5-9d5b-f413782da7edPost:77f4c988-65de-446c-8c81-bdf786646f1b">Re: Name Change with a twist</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name Change with a twist : I know in my state (CA) you can change your middle name or last name. But within reason. Either party can change their middle or last name to their or their partner's current or previous/birth middle or last name, a combination of a birth/current last name, a hyphenated name, or no change at all. It covers most things most people want to change when they get married. But not your first name.<strong> I also know in NY you cannot change your middle name without going to court.</strong>
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Yep, sadly this is true. I wanted to be Kristin Middle Maiden NewLast, or even Kristin Maiden NewLast, but couldn't without going to court.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards