Maine

Maine Coastal/Water Reception Venue: Looking for affordable alternatives-help!!!

Hi ladies,
I'm a born and raised Mainer from 'the county' but now live in Texas!  My fiance and I love lighthouses, hanging out by the ocean, etc., so we wanted to get married on the coast, but the prices rival destination weddings!  Money mouth  Having to do everything from afar is getting tricky since no one seems to call me back. 
Any ideas on venues, particularly for the reception (preferably with a view of the ocean, but I'll take ideas for anywhere with a lake/pond/etc) for 125-150 guests???
I want something affordable, and I'm definitely interested in places that let me decorate myself/hire my own caterer/provide my own alcohol.  My budget for the whole wedding besides the honeymoon is $20-25,000.  I prefer Portland area, but so does everyone else, so I'm interested ANYWHERE along the coast whether it's south or downeast.  Thanks!!!   Wink
Cheers, Holly

Re: Maine Coastal/Water Reception Venue: Looking for affordable alternatives-help!!!

• edited December 2011
    You might look into the Ducktrap Retreat (link) and Mount n'Sea (link) in the midcoast region (Northport/Lincolnville).  Both have lovely water views and are flexible as to catering, alcohol, etc.  I think the Ducktrap is probably more expensive, but they do specialized quotes for each couple.  
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Portland Company lets you decorate and bring in your own vendors.  I'm not sure of their alcohol policy, but they are right on the water in Portland with a view of a lighthouse or 2 (or 3 or 4 depending on the direction you look in).

Are you dead set against going with a place that offers catering?  In my research, I found a few places that were out of my price range (my budget was less than $8,000) but would have been affordable if I had another $5000 to spend.  Southern Maine Community College does weddings at Spring Point Lighthouse, and Mariners Church Banquet Center was also pretty reasonable. 

(The three underlined places are linked)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks-those all sound like great ideas.  Ducktrap I've heard of, but they were a little pricey on the rental, plus every time we email them about getting a quote to rent all the cabins, they just send us a canned response that doesn't answer the question!  Also interested in Portland Co, although they haven't returned my call, so I'll try them again...I'm looking into the other places...did you all have problems contacting vendors/getting them to call you back?  And no, I'm not dead set against a venue supplying the food or beverages, just their prices!  Smile
    Cheers, Holly
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    My H called Portland Company and the woman called him back within the same day.  They emailed him pictures of the different rooms and the rental rates, but he deleted that email as soon as we decided someplace different. 

I sent an email to the contact person at SMCC and they replied pretty quickly as well.  I was just inquiring about having our ceremony there, though, not the reception. 

I never actually contacted Mariner's Church.  They were actually one of our top choices, but after a long discussion before continuing our search process, we went with a venue attached to a hotel to accommodate some family needs.

I spent quite a bit of time emailing places because my job doesn't allow me to play phone tag (I'm a teacher).  It was very convenient that we got engaged two days before our state testing week started, so I had a week of searching venues and making contacts online while the kids were testing for 180 minutes for 4 days.  I didn't have too much of a problem getting vendors to reply but I started my search as wedding season was winding down in mid-October.  This is still a pretty busy time up here for weddings, so that might be why places are taking longer to get back to you.  It's definitely not an excuse - it's a good way to lose a potential customer, but most of my vendors were already completely booked for the entire month of September when I booked them last Oct/Nov.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't have trouble with Ducktrap or Mount n'Sea.  The guy that shows Ducktrap is really nice.  If you're interested, I would schedule a call with him, explain to him what you want, and see what kind of price he can give you.  
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also check out the Samoset Resort in Rockport.  I would think they could help you work with your budget and it's a beautiful ocean front property.  Another place to try is Beach Rose Farm.  It's a gorgeous big farmhouse that is owned by the people who own Retreat at French's Point.  Good luck with your planning!
  • mgagne228mgagne228 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try Point Lookout in Northport (on the Lincolnville line.)  It's beautiful and if you were to do a non-Saturday wedding they offer discount room rental rates and you don't have to go with a wedding package.  The woman who I emailed with was very nice and responsive.  They have cabins where everyone can stay and a few different venue options.  The building at the top is gorgeous and you can't beat the view over Penobscot Bay.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your help!!!

We've decided to go with a ceremony by a lighthouse and the reception at Portland Co!
    Cheers, Holly
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and good luck with your planning! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards