Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Average cost for reception?

Hi!

Does anyone have a good idea of what it generally costs for receptions in Pittsburgh? Meaning including catering, cocktail hour, bar, and service fees that go along with it? We really want to have our wedding in the city, but prices are scary. Excluding gratuity, the price of all catering fees is about $115 per person for the place I really (really!) want to have the wedding. Please tell me if this is an insane amount or if it's about what is expected in Pittsburgh?

(We're planning to have a small wedding, very limited bells and whisltes, and cut costs on flowers, invites, and music, btw)

Re: Average cost for reception?

• So, this is going to be very, very subjective. I'll describe what we're doing. I'm getting married in the suburbs, my reception is in Mt. Lebanon. We had to choose a caterer from a list, but we're able to bring our own alcohol. Here is our breakdown: Rental fee: $600 Catering: $33 pp x 215-ish guests Bar: $2000 Comes out to roughly $9700, divided by 215, we're at $45.10 pp. It's a good deal less than what you're looking at, but if you were to add things to ours, it goes up a whole lot. We aren't doing top shelf liquor (think Smirnoff, Jack, etc) and a buffet. If we were to do top shelf liquor and a sit down meal, I bet we would add a good $20 pp. What is the venue you're looking at?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My reception (in the city, open bar):

Rental Fee: 1500
    Catering + linens/tables/glassware/etc: $93pp

but this place is more expensive than a lot of other city venues.  When I looked around the city, $80-100pp including bar/rental/catering was about the price.
  • Shop a round as much as you can and if you want to negotiate at all make sure you do it before signing the contract. We are getting having reception just outside of Pgh. We are paying 112 per person - this includes the food, alcohol, chair covers, valet, bartenders, cake, tax, and service. We looked at a lot of venues. Some have a minimum spending amount, like The Omni has a 36,000 Saturday night minimum. The Fairmont is 30,000 for a Saturday night minimum. Our other top choice was University Club which ranged from 115-130 Per person for about the same things (no chair covers though) but this did not include the 7% sales tax and 22% service charge. HTH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're getting married in Ohio in a much cheaper city than Pittsburgh, and even there we're paying $1k for room rental, $3k for food, $2k for booze, $1 k for table/chair rental, which works out to be $53/person for 130 people.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Ours breaks down to this:

Food: $39 per person (buffet 2 entrees, 5 appetizers, pasta, potato, 2 veggies, and salad)
    Bar: $20 or $22 per person (depends on length of hours)
    Rental: NONE
    Also includes chair covers, complete set up, tear down, centerpieces, linens(if we choose) all taxes and gratuties are included. We are having a 7 hr reception. We're also using them for our travel needs(they have an RV and drunk van)

Ours however, is not in the city.

We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • I also really wanted a Pittsburgh wedding despite growing up south of the city, and after over a year of looking I finally figured out how to make it affordable.

Place: The Edgewood Club (not country club) in Edgewood: $1500 rental fee.
    Caterer: Strictly Business Catering: We have worked out a sit down menu with three options, two sides, and two appetizers for about $30/pp. This was wayyy lower than anything else I had found, but his food is amazing and we're really happy. He also includes basic linens and silverware, and the bartender for the bar.

The good thing about our place is they are also letting us stock the bar so we decide what we will serve and we can just get it ourselves, which will save a lot of money.
     You can have a Pittsburgh wedding, you just have to do your homework! I was initially scared by prices too but there are affordable options out there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having ours in the city, at the Pittsburgh Opera House, paying about $40 pp total - including venue, food, open bar, tables, chairs, linens, flowers, cake etc. but that was really low compared to everywhere else I looked at in the city.  I'd say $60-80pp is probably more what you should expect to pay.   If the place you are looking at is $115pp just for the catering, that's definitely really high compared to what you could get elsewhere.
  • edited March 2012
    We are not getting married in the city because it was too pricey, but the average cost I found for city locations was $80-$90 per person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Panther and heb, what are your venues? I'm helping my sister in law find a place for their wedding. My husband and I had our reception at the Fairview sunset room, but I want to find other options for her that are reasonable and Byob!
  • Futules Harmar House, It's not BYOB though.
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_average-cost-for-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:25c9de34-a336-4ffe-aea7-a2edda84b945Post:3300b0cd-b4a2-4ce0-b677-ea4bb62b9347">Re: Average cost for reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Panther and heb, what are your venues? I'm helping my sister in law find a place for their wedding. My husband and I had our reception at the Fairview sunset room, but I want to find other options for her that are reasonable and Byob!
    Posted by sheaomc7508[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy Cross Banquet Hall</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • $115 for JUST the catering?

Yes, imo, that's too much.  I'm not getting married in the city but I found plenty of nice places for around $100 that had more than just food included.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    We're getting married at the Aviary and including the rental fee, linens, catering with fish and beef plus salad, veggies, and appetizers buffet style, and alcohol including paying an outside bartender, we're looking at $55 a person. If you include our flowers and cake (which is very expensive because I wanted an elaborate design), that price goes up to $64pp. We're saving by having inexpensive flowers, hiring a less expensive but well recommended DJ, doing our own invitations and other decorations, buying inexpensive linens on linentablecloth.com instead of renting at $25 a pop, and bringing in our own alcohol. 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • @Sheaomc- Hey just a thought for your sister in law I'm having mine at the Bigelow Conference and Reception Center right next the 20th century club. It’s amazing inside. There is a list of caterers to pick from and you can bring your own alcohol ( the selling point for me). Its only 3500 to rent the whole place and its 3 floors.

Ju

• Where are you guys getting married? We live in the South Hills, so maybe we should check it out!

We had been looking at the Heinz History Center. The $115 includes catering, bar, cocktail hour food, service fees, and taxes. Almost all of our family is coming from out of town, so I really want the venue to be interesting. Plus it helps that the history center has a hotel directly across the street. I would love to have it there but unfortunately we are not made of money! Plus I'm not a huge fan of the caterer. Aside from high prices they have been pretty awful to deal with. So the search continues...
  • Where are you getting married? This actually sounds better than the history center, which is where we had been looking.
  • I hadn't thought of the Opera House, but I'm definitely interested! Just checked out their website, and it looks like a cool space. Not to mention way better prices. Thank you for the suggestion! I want to check it out now :)
  • That price includes bar, service fees, catering, cocktail hour and tax. Yeah, it's still high. I'm going to look around and try to forget about this place. Thanks!
  • It also depends on the time of year- I did mine at the carnegie music hall which is one of the most expensive in town. But since I did it in March with only 100 guests, we managed to keep it at $15K. This is still very pricey though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Average cost for reception?:[QUOTE]So, this is going to be very, very subjective. I'll describe what we're doing.

I'm getting married in the suburbs, my reception is in Mt. Lebanon. We had to choose a caterer from a list, but we're able to bring our own alcohol. Here is our breakdown:

Rental fee: 600
    Catering: 33 pp x 215ish guests
    Bar: 2000

Comes out to roughly 9700, divided by 215, we're at 45.10 pp. It's a good deal less than what you're looking at, but if you were to add things to ours, it goes up a whole lot. We aren't doing top shelf liquor think Smirnoff, Jack, etc and a buffet. If we were to do top shelf liquor and a sit down meal, I bet we would add a good 20 pp.

What is the venue you're looking at? Posted by pantherRN[/QUOTE]

Where in mount Lebanon exactly? The prices seem reasonable and i love that part of the city.
  • I'm having mine at the LeMont... and it will be about 70-80 per person.  Bill is really easy to work with and will let you pick and choose pretty much everything.  Only bad thing is that the bar is per drink, like someone said up above..  which could be good if you don't have a lot of drinkers at your wedding.  Keep in mind that includes an awesome view of PGH at sunset, a cigar room and a cocktail room seperate from the dining room.  Be sure to take advantage of the free tasting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards