Snarky Brides

Whatcha Reading?

I alway love reading these posts and adding new books to my "want to read list".

Since I'm almost done my current book, I thought I'd check out what others are reading.

I'll start.

Reading: Chelsea Handler's "Are you there Vodka"

I'd recommend this book if someone is looking for a light, quick and funny read. This is the 2nd book I've read of hers and I'll definitely be downloading the 3rd!
June '13 - Cake!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Books read in 2013 - 0/25

Re: Whatcha Reading?

• I'm currently reading Jeffrey Eugenides' "The Marriage Plot". It started off REALLY slow. Like I stopped reading it for 2 months, but I've picked it up again and once I got past like the first 50 pages it got much better. It's about a love triangle between 3 people who just graduated from college in the early 80's. Not really a romance, it's more about religion, literature and mental illness.
    June 16, 2012
  • I'm in the middle of REAMDE by Neal Stephenson. It's a little over a thousand pages, and it takes a while for the story to get warmed up, but once it does... whoa, Nelly! This is the kind of story where things get really ugly and really scary, really fast. And they just keep going and going when you think it can't get any worse. It's also the kind of action thriller that links multiple characters' backstories, and switches between each of their perspectives. It is not a light or easy read, but even though it's a huge book, I'll tell you... once you get going it's a fast read, because you get concerned for what's going to happen to your favorite people next and you don't want to put it down!
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I've got 3 books just finished or almost finished since they're all different genres and I have to be in the mood for each type.

*Time Masters (book 1) - Geralyn Beauchamp
    Not sure what I'd rate it since I haven't finished but it's a simple read with an interesting Hghilander-esque vibe dealing with time travellers, rescuing a magical maiden, and some battles.  Interesting concept and certainly fresh compared to the deluge of vampire novels out these days.

*Kate's Song - Jennifer Beckstrand
    If you're looking for a peek at Amish society and the decisions teens must come to when deciding whether to be fully indoctrinated in the faith or to go out into the world, this is pretty good.  There is a cute little love story intermingled with the struggles of the main character

*Maze Runner Series - James Dashner
    I loved this series and am going to reread it.  It's juvenile fiction but only barely. The writing was good enough to get my brain going and I visualized most of it in a very rated R, graphic, Resident evil-ish way.  It's not too heavy but it deals with apocalyptic survival post sun flares that cause a breach in the biological containment system as something akin to the CDC.  
  • The Firm- John Grisham. I've been on a legal kick lately :)

Although.. I am moving on to Perks of Being a Wall Flower next. :)

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    Currently reading in the garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.

Recently finished (and recommend): The boy in the striped pajamas, a reliable wife, defending Jacob, Thank you for smoking (the book, not the movie), half broken horses, rules of civilty.

I like to read.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-reading?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:45370ba3-7acb-4af6-afaf-8f0a572a5d50Post:25e33acc-4f0b-4fbd-9760-8bdedbfdbdbc">Re: Whatcha Reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've got 3 books just finished or almost finished since they're all different genres and I have to be in the mood for each type. *Time Masters (book 1) - Geralyn Beauchamp Not sure what I'd rate it since I haven't finished but it's a simple read with an interesting Hghilander-esque vibe dealing with time travellers, rescuing a magical maiden, and some battles.  Interesting concept and certainly fresh compared to the deluge of vampire novels out these days. *Kate's Song - Jennifer Beckstrand If you're looking for a peek at Amish society and the decisions teens must come to when deciding whether to be fully indoctrinated in the faith or to go out into the world, this is pretty good.  There is a cute little love story intermingled with the struggles of the main character <strong>*Maze Runner Series - James Dashner I loved this series and am going to reread it.  It's juvenile fiction but only barely. The writing was good enough to get my brain going and I visualized most of it in a very rated R, graphic, Resident evil-ish way.  It's not too heavy but it deals with apocalyptic survival post sun flares that cause a breach in the biological containment system as something akin to the CDC.  
    </strong>Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

LOVED this series. I read it shortly after looking for similar dystopian books like the hunger games. (Also loved Divergent/Insurgent by Veronica Roth - Highly recommend if you haven't read them yet)
    June '13 - Cake!

Books read in 2013 - 0/25
  • I just finished book four of Game of Thrones - A Feast for Crows. Better than book three, and I will download the fifth when I get my new playbook.

Now I'm reading The Happiness Project for my fb book club. Not far enough into it to say how I feel yet, but it's been better than I thought it would be. I was expecting touchy feely stuff, but it's practical, real life stuff so far.

I just bought a local book as well. It's called Finton Moon and is a first novel. I'm expecting it to be a dark story from what I know so far, and from the author's short story collection. It's what he does.

I will also be reading The Outsiders soon too. Never read it, and it's being taught this year. I have kids in my classes who brag about not having read a book in three years. That makes me sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-reading?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:45370ba3-7acb-4af6-afaf-8f0a572a5d50Post:d6a7b899-d3ba-48cb-b06d-99de7b8d08fa">Re: Whatcha Reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Currently reading in the garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Recently finished (and recommend): The boy in the striped pajamas, a reliable wife, defending Jacob, Thank you for smoking (the book, not the movie), half broken horses, rules of civilty. I like to read.
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

I really liked "In The Garden of Beasts," notsomuch "A Reliable Wife."  I also couldn't get into Thank You for Smoking, but the premise made me laugh.

I'm reading "Gone With the Wind."  We'll see.

I just finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."  It was ...eh.  A missed opportunity to be something cool.  Instead, it was predictable.
  • I have two books on the go. Technically three but I think I'm just going to give up on that one.

1. The Kill Order - James Dashner. Prequel to The Maze Runner.

2. Wicked (I forget the author). It's about the Wicked Witch of The West. I started ths one just before I bought The Kill Order so it got put on hold for now.

3. Game of Thrones. Seriously, I've been trying to read this for a year and I just can't get into it. I don't know why either. I keep picking it up and then getting bored with it so I move on to something else.
  • I just finished When the Ghost Screams by Leslie Rule.  It was a huge disappointment.  True stories of ghost encounters that were told so blandly that even I, the biggest wimp ever, didn't once get the heebie jeebies.  There was only 1 picture (out of MANY) in the book with any kind of ghostly image. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards