Pre-wedding Parties

Last Minute party for friends getting married at city hall this week!

Help! I need to throw a party last minute for my best friend getting married at city hall on Friday!

background: last week she got engaged, Friday they told my boyfriend and I over drinks and asked us to be witnesses, Saturday they told a couple others, one friend mentioned to the groom to be we should have a party this week, he said it would be fun to do and surprise the bride to be, today I have to plan it!

It can only be thursday, either thinking about doing a dinner party at my house, or going out to a restaurant. (in Manhattan or Brooklyn) want to be super special but also inexspensive for everyone to attend (we are all very young and don't have much money)...Any ideas??

Anyone done anything like this before?

(Also, they are having a wedding next June 2012..so this would not be the only party...kind of like an engagement party)

Re: Last Minute party for friends getting married at city hall this week!

• edited December 2011
    they are getting married friday so it would be the night before
    and
    it would only be people who knew, they are not trying to hide it..most family and friends know
  • McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would say just get together at their favorite inexpensive restaurant and have dinner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they're getting married on Friday, they can't really be having a wedding in July, 2012 because they'll already be.......you know.....married.

As for the party:  dinner and drinks.  That's about all it really can be on such short notice.

And I am curious.  Why get married now and then have a pretend wedding in 16 months?  Why not just either wait until July 2012 for everything, or give up the pretend wedding next year?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_last-minute-party-friends-getting-married-city-hall-this-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:dea1a919-d6ba-4be5-8b94-560d3b66a693Post:d2d5c4c7-c6ad-4a42-9653-bf5401912419">Re: Last Minute party for friends getting married at city hall this week!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If they're getting married on Friday, they can't really be having a wedding in July, 2012 because they'll already be.......you know.....married. As for the party:  dinner and drinks.  That's about all it really can be on such short notice. And I am curious.  Why get married now and then have a pretend wedding in 16 months?  Why not just either wait until July 2012 for everything, or give up the pretend wedding next year?
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Ditto this 1000000% Trix put it perfectly!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards